Home U.S. Coin Forum

Tuff to Grade...1903 One Dollar Gold Comm...Grade revealed:

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
What do you think..??

Shipping back from PCGS MS61...???

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to tell from your pics. If the luster is flashy, it could be a MS65 or better. Small coins like this are hard to grade.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• It's difficult to tell, because I don't now what the perfect original is supposed to look like, but I'll guess AU, on the assumption that there's wear over Jefferson's ear.
    If you haven't noticed, I'm single and miserable and I've got four albums of bitching about it that I would offer as proof.

-- Adam Duritz, of Counting Crows

My Ebay Auctions
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I will go AU-55 because of the bit of ear wear.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU-58, due to wear over ear. Don't know if they "market grade" these or not.

If there is good luster (which there appears to be), this is a super coin, and a PQ AU-58.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I like it almost as much as the one I have in a PCGS MS64 slab.

I don't see much lustre but that could be the scan/pic, not the fault of the coin.

If there is lustre I'll give it a 64. If no or little lustre, 55.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might not like my response, but here it is.

The coin has Mint State or virtually Mint State sharpness, but it appears that the piece has been cleaned with an abrasive, like baking soda, which is dimmed the mint luster. The only luster that is left appears to be around the outside letters. As a result the coin as a washed out appearance, which I’ve tried to reverse using some picture fixing software, but can’t. This indicates to me that the picture is accurate

In the old days this would make the coin undesirable and perhaps subject to “altered surfaces” body bag designation. Today it probably reduces it something like an AU-50 if it gets into a holder.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    AU
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I think it is cleaned, too, based solely on the picture.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That "wear over the ear" that everyone is commenting on is actually a weak strike not unlike what you see on some Morgan dollars. The gold dollar planchets were very thin and weak strikes were not that unusual.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU58 or

MS62 if it has some luster.
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    No question that it has been cleaned which sucks.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • AU, if not cleaned...
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grade back MS61.....???
    Hey a least it's MS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file