Home U.S. Coin Forum

What constitutes a nice Hudson commemorative?

Do Hudsons generally look weakly-struck? Do they ever come with nice toning?

Does anyone have an example of an attractive one to show?

Thanks,

Dan

Comments

• ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Yes, most Hudsons look weakly struck. No, not many of them have attractive toning.

I'm sorry I don't have access to a pic of a nicely toned Hudson. It's a rare beast.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
    As to what would constitute a nice one. Original surfaces, with nice luster. But, don't expect the kind of knockout luster you might find on an Oregon or Texas, etc.

• mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Hudsons are very seldom found with what MOST people would call attractive toning. Such a coin will command a huge price premium, at least up to the next grade price. The leg and the face are usually very weak.

Finding a nice PCGS/NGC MS64 "white lustrous well-struck" Hudson is a real challenge. Such a coin should bring almost MS65 money. This describes my set piece Hudson. In hand, it looks better than the majority of MS65 Hudsons I have compared with it.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • I can't seem to import the file from my documents. I got my hudson from my local shop raw for au money. Anacs called an ms 64. Yes it is the coin in my icon. The pictures I'm trying to import are nicer than the icon pic. I am going to resubmit this coin to another tpg ( across the srteet) to try for an upgrade. imageimage
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Here's one with some image original toning, and the price reflects it.image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Here's an MS64 with nice color and which brought a very impressive $2875 in ANR's Prescott sale:

<< <i>Here's one with some image original toning, and the price reflects it.image >>

I really don't see how this coin earned MS66 with all those nasty digs on the sails, and that black stuff on the center sail blows it for me. I like the coin more as MS64.image

<< <i>Here's an MS64 with nice color and which brought a very impressive $2875 in ANR's Prescott sale:

image >>

Now that is a super nice coin for the grade, much nicer than the above Heritage MS66.image
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's an MS64 with nice color and which brought a very impressive $2875 in ANR's Prescott sale:

image >>

That is a great looking coin Mark. I have been looking for a nice Hudson for a while now, and I can say - there just ain't many around that look like that, regardless of price.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
    eyore--

That looks like a fine Hudson you found at your local shop. I don't know what's more rare, finding an attractive Hudson, or getting one raw for AU money which actually is a winner. Congrats!

Clankeye

<< <i>I can't seem to import the file from my documents. I got my hudson from my local shop raw for au money. Anacs called an ms 64. Yes it is the coin in my icon. The pictures I'm trying to import are nicer than the icon pic. I am going to resubmit this coin to another tpg ( across the srteet) to try for an upgrade. imageimage >>

Why not send it to PCGS instead of NGC?
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

image >>

Checking out some archival posts of monster commems. First of all, I miss 'ole coinguy1 around here. Second of all, IMO this is the most impressive and eye appealing Hudson's on earth.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
  • Here is mine... No Monster Toner... But Honest Looking and pretty sharp.

-sm
  • LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>

image >>

Checking out some archival posts of monster commems. First of all, I miss 'ole coinguy1 around here. Second of all, IMO this is the most impressive and eye appealing Hudson's on earth. >>

I agree 100% with all the above!!!!!!!! image
  • mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    When I first started collecting classic commems back in 1996 I bet I went through 10 or 12 Hudsons in MS64 and MS63 before I found one that was somewhat attractive. I was a nice haze-free, slightly yellow toned on both sides. Most of the Hudsons I have seen have a cruddy filmy look. It is very difficult to find one that has nice toning and luster that is haze-free. Below is the one that is in my collecton. It is haze-free with some rainbow toning along the periphery.

• DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, most Hudsons look weakly struck. No, not many of them have attractive toning.

I'm sorry I don't have access to a pic of a nicely toned Hudson. It's a rare beast.

Clankeye >>

I have a 3 inch gilt example that exibits fantastic collors. Some 3 inch and four inch examples have some color.
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    Nice husdon mrcommem. I want one but haven't come across the right piece for the right money. I have a feeling that I might wait a long while on this one.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mrcommem, that really sweet as examples like your are few and far between. image

This is another low mintage commem that has seen major abuse, I would expect a majority of the pop percentage on these to be from re-submissions.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    Broadstruc--

I acquired that Hudson a few years ago from Aspen Park. They had two Hudsons in MS65 that were almost identical. Evan Gale, who is the owner, sent me both of them to chose from. Both were so nice it took me almost a week to decide which one I wanted.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Evan Gale of has a good eye not just only when it comes to commes!

Aspen Park Rare Coin Inc. is a good link to add to anyones favorites! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file