Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Some exceptional clips that arrived yesterday

seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
I won these from Jim's Coins in their bimonthly error coin mail bid sale. This used to be Len Roosmalen's business, between them they've been running these auctions for over 20 years. Consistently one of the best sources for nice error material, these wins from the last auction arrived earlier this week.

Clipped 1851-O Three Cent Silver, a one-year type I'm ecstatic to add to my clipped type set:

Clipped 1950 Lincoln Cent, a nice upgrade both in size and condition over the coin currently in my Lincoln Cent date set;

Next, a ragged clipped 1911-D cent in XF or so, check out the weak design details, the strong Blakesley, and the ragged edge. Weighs 2.5 grams, about 20% light:

Finally an undated WAshington Quarter with both a large curved and a small straight clip, SEGS graded MS60:

Sean Reynolds
Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Comments

• Options
    Nice coins i've always thought errors were interesting.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice clips.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    sean those clips rock...you have any other real interesting ones to show from your collection?

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exceptional color! You scored. The 3 Cent is sublime.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    seanq,

Very nice newps and images. The Three Cent Silver is a cool coin.
  • Options

Very nice, especially the Trime, which is very hard to find.

Just curious though: where's the Blakesley effect on the 50-D cent? I would not have purchased that as a genuine clip.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice, especially the Trime, which is very hard to find.

Just curious though: where's the Blakesley effect on the 50-D cent? I would not have purchased that as a genuine clip. >>

Dennis,

It is there but subtle, as is often the case on a really large clip like this one. Look at the obverse rim just under the date and around to the center of Lincoln's shoulder and you can see slight weaknese and thickening of the rim.

There are also several other diagnistics for a coin like this one. In the hand I can see the edge inside the clip has the correct texture for a genuine clip. Also the clip is slightly out of round, which is expected as the coin metal flowed erratically into the clip during the strike. Lastly, there is another very small rim clip around K-8, again it is hard to see in the image. It is very doubtful someone would fake a large clip on a coin that already had a small clip.

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seanq here is my favorite clip

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn ancient thread ... I was so excited to see Sean's new additions!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

@astrorat said:
    Damn ancient thread ... I was so excited to see Sean's new additions!

I still have the first three, not sure about the last one.

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:

74%? Why couldn't they be more specific? :D

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

A new addition that needs entombment ...

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

A fitting clip for the mass produce 64s

Does it have the MM?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:

Dang! I keep thinking about what type of grades I would have if the TPGs only had to grade 26% of my coins. :)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 thats funny. It is my favorite clip and would love to have more like it. MS67 monster clip with date.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those major clips are interesting... I assume these are found in bags of coins - or slipped out surreptitiously. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file