Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Topps Proofs

Do any of you collect them? Not the ones produced now, but the old ones. I used to purchase them from Alan Hagar and now I get them from the Topps Vault auctions. Whats your opinion of them? Does anyone grade them? How would you value them compared to a regular card?

If you have any, what ones do you have in your collection?
Looking for Carl Willey items.

Comments

• Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I have the 1974 Topps Proof of Rod Carew, 1969 Topps Deckle Proof of Rod Carew, and the back of the 1978 Topps Rod Carew. Pretty much 1/1's.
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Nice collection of a Hof'er!

Did you get them from the Topps Vault?

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could someone explain to me exactly what a "proof" is?

Shane

• Options
    kimo75kimo75 Posts: 263 ✭✭
    I like them and have the following Stargell proofs:

1968 topps
    1970 Topps
    1970 Topps Super
    1971 Topps Coin
    1971 Topps Super
    1972 Candy Lids Progressive (thanks Bob)
    1973 Candy Lid
    1974 Topps #100
    1980 Topps Color test
    1981 Kelloggs Acetate Progressive Proofs
    1981 Topps
    1974 Topps Puzzle

These are off the top of my head. I know I have others and need to get organized! I got some from Topps Vault and some from shows/Hager.
  • Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    I collect brooks Robinson Proofs-I am not into blank back versions of the regular topps issues-I like the square cut and odd ball topps issues like candy lids, 68 game cards, 69 super proof,74 deckle.I think they are great additions to any collection-my favorite proof is the 69 super and the 64 topps coins proof sheet. Scott
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect proofs, original pen and ink comic art for sports cards and even some wrapper proofs.

Here's a favorite of mine - some 73T Lid proofs:

As it goes for value...

I'm clueless. Obviously star cards would be in far greater demand than commons I would guess.

To my knowledge, no one will grade them - I would like for PSA to consider holdering them and just grading them as "authentic." ASA graded stuff was a "Hager" special.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Yes mine were purchased years ago from Topps Vault. I thought all this stuff got dumped at the Gernsey Auction, but apparently not. I also have some football progression set proofs from the early 70's.
  • Options

<< <i>Could someone explain to me exactly what a "proof" is? >>

Frank
    I don't know "the" definition but my understanding is that they are "trial" samples to check their work before they go into mass production. They can check the centering of the pic, the overall appearance as well as color.

I would guess the progressive proofs - which show the different colors, will allow them to insure they are getting the full bleed of each color - that way they are assured the final printing will have the proper hue?

mike

Here's an example of color separation - progressive proof:

Mike
  • Options
    Just won this gem tonight. His name on this proof is in yellow and on the actual card it's white.

• Options

<< <i>Just won this gem tonight. His name on this proof is in yellow and on the actual card it's white.

image >>

Brian
    I assume it's blank backed?

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I assume it's blank backed? >>

Yes
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike,

Does that mean that each proof is probably 1 of 1? If it's just a trial, then why would they need more than one or one of each color in the case of the color seperation? I know I have what I think is a proof in a 1969 Topps 4 in 1. It does not have the dividing lines between the mini stickers. It's all one piece. I also have a 1974 Topps Deckle Edge Lou Brock where the edges are straight and not "deckled". Surely, they are not 1 of 1?

Shane

• Options
    "1 of 1" seems to be a keyword that almost all sellers use when selling proofs, but only Sy Berger knows for sure. We know that each color seperation comes with four cards plus the final so that makes five of each, plus the number of sheets they ran off for the trial means 5 times that amount. Add the acetate layovers, flexichromes, printing plates, negatives, and each card comes with a ton of 1 of 1 proofs. Most of this stuff was meant for the garbage, so a lot of hardcore collectors dont pay much attention to it, but a lot of hardcore collectors consider this to be the rarest of the rare. It's all in what you like to collect.........
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    There is a 1968 Topps Deckle Edge Proof sheet with 9 players, including Yastremski and future HOF Dave Adlesh. It is blank backed and is 7 and 3/4 " by 11 ". Individual cards can be found from cut proof sheets. There are 3 variations of the sheet in which the facsimle autographs can be found in red, black or blue. I have found that some demented people will pay a lot for the blue.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    I have a blank front slick proof of a 1976-77 Topps #44 Calvin Murphy. A thicker, brighter, almost plastic stock than the regular issue. I got it from the Topps Vault. I wish I could have gotten more from the set. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    image[/IMG]
  • Options

<< <i>Mike,

Does that mean that each proof is probably 1 of 1? If it's just a trial, then why would they need more than one or one of each color in the case of the color seperation? I know I have what I think is a proof in a 1969 Topps Deckle edge. It does not have the dividing lines between the mini stickers. It's all one piece. I also have a 1974 Topps Deckle Edge Lou Brock where the edges are straight and not "deckled". Surely, they are not 1 of 1? >>

Frank
    I don't know. But, my guess along with input here, no.

They probably run off a bit to insure the presses consistently correct?

We need some guys who work for printers of this kind of stuff to know.

Good questions.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>There is a 1968 Topps Deckle Edge Proof sheet with 9 players, including Yastremski and future HOF Dave Adlesh. It is blank backed and is 7 and 3/4 " by 11 ". Individual cards can be found from cut proof sheets. There are 3 variations of the sheet in which the facsimle autographs can be found in red, black or blue. I have found that some demented people will pay a lot for the blue. >>

Al

Nothing like being "outed" on a national forum.

Mike
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Al
    Nothing like being "outed" on a national forum.
    image >>

Yeah, that must suck. image
  • Options
    Wow, there are more of you that collect these proofs than I thought!

As far as the 1/1 idea goes, I am not sure either. I read at one time that with the aluminum proofs there are at most 2 of each color, therefore 8 max of any one card. I am not sure how true this is. I have the old Alan Hagar Proof Price Guide which explains what each proof is and if anyone would like me to post this information from the book, please just let me know.

That being said, this is what I have for proofs.

1962 Topps 174B Carl Willey w/hat (2 red proof aluminum plates)

1962 Topps 385 Early Wynn black proof aluminum plate

1964 Topps 84 Carl Willey blank back proof

1964 Topps Stamps 4 on 1 Carl Willey black proof

1966 Topps 185 Bob Buhl blank back proof

1972 Topps 210 Denny McLain blank back proof (Denny shares the same last name with me and same birthday except he is 25 years older)

1984 Topps 720 Dwight Evans unissued blank back proof (Face shot in bottom corner totally inside the box)

1988 OPC Mark McGwire (2), Tony Gwynn (2), Ozzie Smith blank back proofs

1986-87 OPC Cam Neely blank back proof strip of 3

And even though its not a "proof" in that sense, I also have the 1962 Topps 174A Carl Willey without hat negative.

I've always been of the hardcore collectors who is of the belief that these are the rare of rare. Considering that alot of these old proofs were discarded or destroyed, these are hidden gems I believe. Either way, I think they are fun to collect, and each one I get gives me another thrill. At one time I had over half of the 1960 Fleer Football set in proof form. But divorce seperated me and that dream collection.

I must say, I'm impressed at what proofs you guys own. But considering what stuff is shown in the Scan thread, I shouldn't be suprised!
    Actually, I think I will show some of my proofs off in the Scan thread. image
  • Options
    Some proofs actually end up with listings in the SCD Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards, such as the three 1960 proofs of Cimoli, Hadley and maybe Throneberry; the 1967 Roger Maris as Yankee card, and the 1984 Encased set, the 1985 Topps Mini Blank back set: and the aformentioned 1968 Deckle proof sheet

Al
  • Options
  • Options
    That Clemente was my first scan posted on the board! Iam so proud of myself! I am trying anotherimage
  • Options
    One more! this is my favorite proof !image
    as you can see I am having some issues on scan size!
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike,

Does that mean that each proof is probably 1 of 1? If it's just a trial, then why would they need more than one or one of each color in the case of the color seperation? I know I have what I think is a proof in a 1969 Topps Deckle edge. It does not have the dividing lines between the mini stickers. It's all one piece. I also have a 1974 Topps Deckle Edge Lou Brock where the edges are straight and not "deckled". Surely, they are not 1 of 1? >>

Frank
    I don't know. But, my guess along with input here, no.

They probably run off a bit to insure the presses consistently correct?

We need some guys who work for printers of this kind of stuff to know.

Good questions.

mike >>

I spent 14 years in the printing business Mike and could not give a better explanation.

The separations are printed to check density of each color, which will determine the shade of a certain color. In some processes all colors are laid down before the sheet leaves the press, producing the final product at once. In other processes two colors are laid down, the sheet is then run back through the press to apply the other two. In really primitve printing each is laid down in a different "pass." Four, and I believe eight color process exists, with the most common being four (cyan, yellow, black, magenta).

Printing multiple proofs ensures consistency. Ink density can vary throughout a run and samples are taken every certain number of sheets. Proofs though are usually the first printed as they check for errors and make adjustments. Proofs are usually high quality and sometimes are not even run on the press used in production.

It's been 10 years so I hope I remembered it correctly.

Keith
  • Options
    Keith,
    Very interesting information. Thanks for taking the time to share.
    Bob
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    About a year ago Topps Vault sold a pair of 1981 Bake McBride "progressive" proofs I think they're called. They were 2 colors, like magenta/yellow and blue/yellow. Finally last week they offered the other half of the run, the magenta/blue and the black. They arrived in quick time and they are the cornerstone of my Bake collection. Was planning to scan them in this weekend. It's a pretty cool thing to own, if I do say so. I'm not grading them or anything, just savoring the Baked goodness.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Thanx Keith

Proofs are fun to have since they are a departure from the regular stuff we all pick up.

Helio

I'm looking forward to seeing your proof set.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Nice cards Quitcrab, that Clemente is sweet!

Thank you for sharing that wealth of information SoFLPhillyFan.

Isn't that a thrill when you find something that rare for your collection helionaut? I'd love to see a scan of your Baked Man! image

And I agree 100% with Stone, these proofs are a bit different from the regular run of the mill cards we all collect which makes it a bit more fun for me.
  • Options
    I don't get to talk about these very often, so I will apologize for kind of hijacking in that I would like to show a few more:

Here's a three panel Bkb:

A 52T Wings - in Spanish proof:

Some more 73T Lid proofs:

And a 73T Wanted Posters - wrapper proof - I also have a waxed pack - they're both framed together and look great!

I've got others but I don't want to hog the show or anything.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have the 1974 Topps Proof of Rod Carew, 1969 Topps Deckle Proof of Rod Carew, and the back of the 1978 Topps Rod Carew. Pretty much 1/1's. >>

I don't know if you saw them but there are 2 carew proofs on ebay right now, one is a 78 leaders card and the other is a 69 topps deckle proof. Might be nice to have both of the 69s (if the one on ebay isn't yours)
  • Options

<< <i>
    I've got others but I don't want to hog the show or anything.
    mike >>

Mike,
    You're not hogging--you're sharing. Keep the eye candy coming!! image
    Bob
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Bob in the spirit of not hogging but sharing I thought I would add a few of my favorite Perez proofs

1981 Kellogs

1975 Hostess mock up, eventual panel changed

1971 Topps Coin

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    Could not resist to add a couple more

1981 Kelloggs before 3-D added

1974 Topps Stamps sheet

1971 Topps Super

• Options
    Incredible Perez collection!

I especially like the "mock ups" - I've seen them but don't have any.

A photo mockup from the mars attacks set went up in toppsvault and it went for more than I wanted to spend!

thanx for sharing mcholke - you did Perez proud!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike

Thanks, it just takes a little encouragement for me to post some more examples

1967 Topps Original Art card back

1986 Donruss DK Color Proof

1986 Donruss Color Proof

1967 Topps proof blanback

• Options
    Kevin,
    Wow!! Impressive array of Atanasio proofs. I really like the 1981 2-D card and the Super proof. Very nice.
    Bob
  • Options
    Bob

Thanks, I will refrain from posting other photos. I do have the 1971 Kelloggs 2D like the 1981 as well as other regular issue Topps hanging around in the collection.

Kevin

• Options
    Kevin
    Please keep'm comin!

Ya don't get to see this kind of stuff very often.

Nice comic art.

That's one of the big things I collect. I've got somewhere in the 75 to 100 pieces.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Back by popular demand

1974 Deckle undeckled (not really a proof but close)

1985 OPC

1972 Topps

1969 Topps

That is it for tonight. I will have to dig around and see if I can find others for another time.

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Here is my contribution to this thread.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Here are a few more I dug out tonight

1974 Reds Stamp Album Proof

1971 Kelloggs 2D Proof

1984 Topps Stickers

1968 Topps Action All Star Stickers (not mine but eye candy)

• Options
    Very nice stuff!

That 68 sticker proof - if the one with Mantle went for some serious bucks.

Here's a little different kind of proof:

And I thought I would throw in a Spiderman comic original art proof that is pre-production:

There must a zillion of these out there - just think of all the pages these guys do?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    here's an article on topps proofs..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff! I buy all the Marcus Allens I see, which thus far have all been from the Topps Vault. Well, I was outbid on a couple image. I have not sen any Allens surface from the old Guersey's auction, although I've heard they exist. Paying well If you can locate one!

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    Thanks, PA

Al
  • Options
    Thanks for posting that Pandrews! image

• Options
    Perry

Thanx for posting the link.

Ya know...I can't believe I posted that stuff in April? Seems like yesterday!

Wow!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>One old trick is to take a regular uncut sheet of cards, cut the sheet into panels of two to nine cards, and call them "proof sheets." >>

Unless purchased from the toppsvault, I would be really careful about this point. I don't place a super high premium on proofs myself anyways - there's probably more of them than we may think?

<< <i>Many "coin" or circle shaped cards were also released in uncut sheet form, allowing dishonest sellers to cut these cards off the sheets in square patterns, and call them proofs (after all, they are square shaped, right?) >>

This is one I wasn't aware of? I did pick up a proof from a board member a long time ago - I may have to take a closer look at that one?

Does anyone know if 73T lids came in production sheets vs. true proofs?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I collect proof cards too. I have some oversize '81 Donruss proofs, a '81 Kellogg's Steve Garvey metal front plate, a '62 Topps high # blank back proof quarter sheet (33 cards) with printer's notes [I know this isn't one of a kind, because I've seen another in a subsequent catalog auction - it went for about 40% more than I paid for mine], and several color separations and other proofs purchased from Topps Vault (including Walt Bellamy and Mel Blount, and 4 '77 Topps baseball acetate proofs that use the OPC photo and team banner for that year [different from the Topps card of those players]).

I also have a sheet of 9 '76 Topps Cloth Stickers (Dyer and Apodaca), which may or may not count as a proof.

Nick

[edited for typos]
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.