Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Jewish Star on 1940 British West Africa Penny???

In the 40's and 50's (and, I guess, possibly earlier) British West Africa issued "One Penny" coins with a hold in the middle (of the star) with a giant 6-pointed star on the obverse that looks like a Jewish Star (Magen David). Is it? What's the significance of that star? The reverse has "ONE PENNY" on it with some Arabic-looking writing below the hole and GEORGIUS VI REX ET IND: IMP:

The coin I have an example is a 1940 coin which appears to be in AU shape. I would love more information on this coin. Thanks for any help in advance.

Comments

• Options
    It's only a coincedence. The six points are supposed to refer to the 6 British colonies comprising British West Africa at the time: Nigeria, Ghana, British Cameroon, Gambia, Sierra Leone, British Togoland.
    There were 3.84 million struck at London (no mintmark), and 2.4 million each struck at the Heaton mint (H) and King's Norton mint (KN) both in Birmingham. The small mintmark letter(s) would be below the central hole. Values in AU may be about $1.50, $5 and $7 respectively.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options

<< <i>a giant 6-pointed star on the obverse that looks like a Jewish Star (Magen David). >>

The usual romanization of the Hebrew is "Mogen David".

The symbol is also known as the Seal of Solomon, and as such is used on a variety of Muslim coins, including 19th and early 20th Century Morrocon issues.
    Roy

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    International Zionist Conspiracy!
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    But there is a Mogan David on the US Dollar bill, if you know where to look.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    International Zionist Conspiracy!

roflmao - I was waiting for something like thatimage

many years ago I thought they were coins from Israel until I got myself a catalog - middle school kids new very little in the 60's image
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Nigerian prince recently offered me 1,000,000 of these.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television