Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ARE THERE ANY SERIES OR SINGLE COINS YOU WOULD CONSIDER UNDERVALUED???

wrightywrighty Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭
IN THIS "HOT" MARKET WHAT DO YOU THINK IS UNDERVALUED??? IF ANYTHING RIGHT NOW????

Comments

• Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    moderns....

• Options
    your caps lock is on Wrighty.

I think tokens are undervalued. I know its not US minted, but they are still fun to collect.

My fav are Namco Tokens, you think PCGS would grade one for me?

Edit: I like tokens and tokken! LOTR FTW!
    -CamTron
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In this market...nothing.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ikes...last of the large dollar coins and a fairly decent design. But it is a modern coin!
    ANA LM
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    3 cent Nickels.

They are always undervalued.
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Condition census Philadelphia and San Francisco Mint gold and Seated Dimes.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Low mintage early commemms (1892-1954),
    Especially WC's and Booker T.'s., These are being almost toally ignored.
    Also Silver Proof sets from 1992-1998.
    Bob
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    The Walking Liberty short series. The 1941-S MS64 was selling for $1000 at the last high of the market.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Toned 2c in ms grades with brown designation
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options

<< <i>Low mintage early commemms (1892-1954),
    Especially WC's and Booker T.'s., These are being almost toally ignored.
    Also Silver Proof sets from 1992-1998.
    Bob
    image >>

Bob, I totally agree on the BTW's and Carver/Washington's. I have been saying for years the most undervalued coin is the 1951-P C/W half. With an MS-65 pop of around 125, it is the rarest coin in the entire early commem series. I recently saw a 51-PDS set of C/W's all MS-65, that could have been boughr for around $500. As recent as within the last two years I have bought MS-65 BTW"s on eBay for as little as $19. The highest pop in both sets is the 1946-P BTW at 1021 and listed in PCGS Price Guid at $60. The Antietam has an MS-65 pop of 1325 and listed at $925 and rising.
    "Im not young enough to know everything."
    Oscar Wilde

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure much of anything is undervalued now. Fairly valued, maybe. Undervalued relative to other series, yes. But undervalued from an absolute standpoint? Not sure.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Original and strictly graded, attractive coins in the following series:

19th century type - copper, nickel, and silver (ie. stuff not promoted
    via Registry fever) in most all grades, but esp MS64 and higher.
    This covers a lot of ground. MS65-66 bust coinage still underpriced
    and not available.
    Early bust coinage in original condition without problems
    Better date Morgan & Peace dollars in MS65 and up
    New Orleans mint coinage (half dimes thru quarters, gold too)
    Classic commems in original gem grade
    Tougher dated 19th century pieces - if you are going CDN, many are
    underpriced.

roadrunner

Gold - generic $1,
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    wrightywrighty Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭
    I posed the question and I forget to add my opinion. I think some Proofs from the 50's especially in cameo are a good value considered the relatively low mintage and pop reports.
  • Options
    Franklins ......... but SHHHHHHHHHH, don't tell anyone!
  • Options
    I think the 1909-S VDB in PCGS 67RD is the cheapest coin around. Three years ago, it used to cost $10,000 but only costs $100,000 today to purchase. There are only 9 of them in 67RD and only 150 in 66RD that could be upgraded. I would warn anyone taking my advice that I also though that Cisco was cheap in 2000 when it was trading at 80 times earnings for one of the largest companies in the S&P 500.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Undervalued?

Uncirculated/BU rolls of 90% silver dimes and quarters dated in the 1950's that are not selling at that much of a premium to the silver bullion price.

I also like G-VG Indian head cents and liberty head nickels. Even circulated Liberty walking halves.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720

<< <i>Undervalued?

Uncirculated/BU rolls of 90% silver dimes and quarters dated in the 1950's that are not selling at that much of a premium to the silver bullion price. >>

I was going to say that very thing, so instead I'll second your opinion.

The later 50s aren't selling at ANY premium over melt these days. Well, eBay not withstanding. You can never tell what folks there will bid some items up to.

It always amazes me to see an UNC roll of 56 quarters(or anything similar) at moon money with several bidders going at it and then a search will reveal two more going within the next 24 hours or less with virtually no action and close at 35% less. image
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seated Dollars that are original... there are not as many as people think. As a series, there are some very tough dates that make the series nearly impossible to complete... but then again... who needs a complete set?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Dated $2½ libs with mintages under 5k especially the P & S mints in the 70s & 80s. Most dates are grossly undervalued relative to the other gold denominations.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    G and VG Draped bust halves seem undervalued to me.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most mint state moderns are grossly undervalued in MS-64 and better condition. There
    are some that are nearly common even in MS-65 so if you just throw money at moderns
    then you'll probably end up with lots of slabbed, common coins. Most of these lower end
    coins are not even worth the grading fees so they can be picked up very cheaply. Original
    BU rolls are quite scarce for many of these but can sell for less than double face value.

People scoff at moderns but the collector base is still growing. They speak of tulip manias
    like the roll and bag boom of the mid-'60's where these same people were out paying
    huge premiums for recent date coins that were saved in vast quantities. There are still
    so many of these coins available that some of the darlings of that era are cheaper than
    rolls made yesterday!! And all they time they laugh at scarce coins that are up to 40 years
    old.

There are many coins that are undervalued from all places and all times. One doesn't have
    to get far off the beaten path to find 3c nickels or Japanese silver.

Those who scoff at modern US coins or other coins which have never attracted a lot of at-
    tention are simply making a bet. They are betting that the new generation of collectors
    will be interested only in the same coins they are. They are betting that the world doesn't
    change and one can stop time if they drag their feet loudly enough.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>The Walking Liberty short series. >>

MS65s are down 30%-50% from about a year ago.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    PCGS Proof cameo 1936-1942 Lincoln cents. For the most part, non-PCGS examples do not have significant contrast...so be careful. And watch out for carbon spots!

Savic
  • Options

<< <i>Most mint state moderns are grossly undervalued in MS-64 and better condition. There
    are some that are nearly common even in MS-65 so if you just throw money at moderns
    then you'll probably end up with lots of slabbed, common coins. Most of these lower end
    coins are not even worth the grading fees so they can be picked up very cheaply. Original
    BU rolls are quite scarce for many of these but can sell for less than double face value.

People scoff at moderns but the collector base is still growing. They speak of tulip manias
    like the roll and bag boom of the mid-'60's where these same people were out paying
    huge premiums for recent date coins that were saved in vast quantities. There are still
    so many of these coins available that some of the darlings of that era are cheaper than
    rolls made yesterday!! And all they time they laugh at scarce coins that are up to 40 years
    old.

There are many coins that are undervalued from all places and all times. One doesn't have
    to get far off the beaten path to find 3c nickels or Japanese silver.

Those who scoff at modern US coins or other coins which have never attracted a lot of at-
    tention are simply making a bet. They are betting that the new generation of collectors
    will be interested only in the same coins they are. They are betting that the world doesn't
    change and one can stop time if they drag their feet loudly enough.

image >>

Absolutely correct you are Cladking!

I am an older collector (57) who enjoys collecting the 'classics' most of all, BUT also get much satisfaction from the 'moderns'.

And times, they are a-changin!! Younger collectors see the 'classics' much as most of my generation saw early coinage (colonials-civil war): nice but unapproachable and mostly irrelevant.

Coin collecting as a hobby was nearly dead by 1998; prices down, coin shows were more like funerals than the vibrant gatherings they used to be, etc.

THEN, along came the states quarters program and brought huge numbers of 'casual' collectors into the hobby. Many, actually most, are still 'casual' collectors,

BUT many more have gone on to collect much more, and this is exactly what is driving the 'moderns' upward. And it will continue to grow in leaps and bounds, BECAUSE, this is the world they were born into, and what has circulated and been readily available.
    Enjoy each day as though it was your last.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    US-Philippine issues. Some incredible designs, produced under US authority at US mints for a US territory, with miniscule pops yet available in higher mint state & proof - when you can find them at all -- for crazy fractions of what equivalent Barber-series coins would cost.

I don't have any of these, as a guy can only collect so many things (and on my budget, a guy can only collect fewer than that) but if I had ten thousand dollars sitting around & wanted to build a new group of something incredible and rare, that's probably where I would go.
    mirabela
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I thought this one was, so I bought it.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options

<< <i>I thought this one was, so I bought it. >>

Nice catch DHeath! Not very many of this date around in this kind of superb condition. You are ahead of the curve regarding 'moderns' such as this one. Congrats!!
    Enjoy each day as though it was your last.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Quarter eagles ( not indians)
  • Options

<< <i>I think the 1909-S VDB in PCGS 67RD is the cheapest coin around. >>

Actually, I think the 1909 P in high grade is more undervalued. Just TRY to find on, especially in PQ!!!
    How much for that one
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Low mintage early commemms (1892-1954),
    Especially WC's and Booker T.'s., These are being almost toally ignored...
    Bob
    image >>

Bob, I totally agree on the BTW's and Carver/Washington's. I have been saying for years the most undervalued coin is the 1951-P C/W half. With an MS-65 pop of around 125, it is the rarest coin in the entire early commem series. I recently saw a 51-PDS set of C/W's all MS-65, that could have been boughr for around $500. As recent as within the last two years I have bought MS-65 BTW"s on eBay for as little as $19. The highest pop in both sets is the 1946-P BTW at 1021 and listed in PCGS Price Guid at $60. The Antietam has an MS-65 pop of 1325 and listed at $925 and rising. >>

The reason the Bookers and Wash-Carvers LOOK too cheap, considering their low pop numbers, is that many of us Classic Commem collectors do not like the designs.image It is a simple matter of supply and LACK of demand.

The earlier Classic Commems have a lot more character, when compared with the last Classic Commem issues, the WC and Booker Ts. I say I collect the complete Classic Commem set, but in fact, I avoid the WC and Booker T issues. I would rather have a group of those outstandingly designed Antietams you mentioned than the entire WC and Booker T sets.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ARE THERE ANY SERIES OR SINGLE COINS YOU WOULD CONSIDER UNDERVALUED??? >>

Every coin I own.image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought this one was, so I bought it. >>

This is a spectacular piece and very nearly unimprovable.

Indeed, even finding one in the same class as this one would be a massive undertaking. Yet most will look at this and laugh about a fool and his money. It's difficult for me to understand why someone would sell such a coin at the current absurd prices.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many different coins in different series I've been searching for, at shows and auctions, for ten years now. I think those are still undervalued image . K
  • Options
    1859-S $

1878-CC T$1

1936-D 25C

Jerry
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Thanks CK. The next seller will likely be my heir.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DHeath:

Awesome looking 1982-P quarter. They usually come so lousy. I saved every nice one I could back in 1982-1983.

I almost quit the coin collecting hobby in early 1983 as the US Mint hit a new low in issuing nice looking new coins with those 1982's.

I thought the 1982's were so awful!

But then again, so were most of the exalted 1926-S issues of many denominations, but fortunately I was not yet born to complain about it then!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    I agree with mirabela:

<<US-Philippine issues. Some incredible designs, produced under US authority at US mints for a US territory, with miniscule pops yet available in higher mint state & proof - when you can find them at all -- for crazy fractions of what equivalent Barber-series coins would cost.>>

I just bought a 1903 20 Centavo coin certified PR 63 by PCGS at the SC show today. I'll post photos of it later. It was cheaper than a 1903 proof Barber quarter and looks nicer too.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proof gold.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Nice original early commems in MS64PQ-MS66. There is so much garbage in 64-66 holders that it has kept the prices from advancing. On the other hand, commems with great to monster color graded MS66+ are overvalued IMO.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>Quarter eagles ( not indians) >>

Tell me about it. I had a bunch of San Fran $2.5 and $5 Liberties from the 1860s and 1870s that I got tired of not seeing any movement in. They are quite difficult coins to find, particularly problem-free and in XF and above. Sold them all out in January after waiting 20 years to see anything substantial move.

New Orleans half dimes in choice (MS63) and above are slightly better but still undervalue IMO based on their numbers. Half cents, particularly Braided Hairs and later Classics, haven't participated much. I don't see rare KN designated Fugios out there breaking price records either.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file