Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The 1921 Buffalo Nickel: A one year type coin.

BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
A short but severe recession hit the Nation in 1921.

All denominations of coins were affected by the slowdown. Notably, it was also the first year of issue for the Peace Dollar.

The Philadelphia Mint, in an effort, maybe because of employee input, or just in a "make work" scenario, enhanced the quality of the dies for most coinage during the year.

The changes they made, however, were not carried over to following years. It is unknown why this happened.

Designs for nickels, dimes, quarters and fifty cent coins were all strengthened and re-engraved for this one year ONLY!

Strange, though, the enhancements were done to the Master Die for the year, and not the Master Hub.

The enhancements were not carried on to subsequent years, because the original master hub, from which all coins are made, was not changed. This is strange, to say the least, because this one year produced some fine, and nicely detailed coinage that could have been carried on if the Master Hub was permanently re-done.

So in detail and clarity of design, the 1921 dated coins stand as one-year enhancements to the Master Hub, making them in a way a one year type coin.

Confused? Well, this is a little complicated. But to put it into perspective for all of us non-technical peeps, here is what was done to the Buffalo five-cent coin:

During the entire run of Buffalo Nickels, the ONE in the date, regardless of its' location, was always represented as a straight up and down line with no serifs,or protrusions. Only during 1921, because of the enhancement to the Master Die and NOT the Master Hub, the One appears with a nice serif at the top, giving a distintive "notch" to the number.

Because the Master Hub, the basis for all coinage in the future, was NOT changed........everything begining in the next year to be minted, reverted to the "straight" looking "One" in the date.

The only date in the entire series, and I'm repeating myself for stressing a point, that appears with a serifed "One" is in 1921.

I believe this to be a one year type coin for the series, and distinctive in character for what it is to any other Buff preceding, or following.

Hope this Helps

P.S......Shamika...this is what you requested.

Please correct or condemn me image

Pete
"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Comments

• Options
    Bump for the late nighters.........this moves way too fast.
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    Great educational post!image

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    Pete,

As long as you keep "Buffalo" in the title, it doesn't matter how fast it moves. I for one will find it!

Keep up the GREAT work!image
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    Another homer for Pete!
    (P.S. Check out the tip of the tail)
    imageimage
  • Options
    VetterVetter Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is rare and little known doubled die obv. for 1921. Look at the eye lid and nostril. Very close to the 1915 DDO.

Members I have done business with:
    Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting, I had never noticed that before!!!

Thanks for the info.

Jon
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hairline detail immediately above the horizontal braid ribbon is also completely DIFFERENT in 1921 than in any other year, not merely strengthened-so much so that a DATELESS 1921 or 1921-S can be identified by this feature alone. This hairline strengthening/reconfiguration is the reason that so many true full obverse strikes exist for both Mints. Compare this with any other date in the series-the difference is fairly obvious.
  • Options

Something old, something new.............

Pete

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2020 5:00PM

For some reason ( unknown to me ) I never had a strong interest in the Buffalo Nickel ... although I really like them. So ... I'm going to need to read this story over again so I can understand it better.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very informative read.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    wayfarerwayfarer Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

Great post!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good post to resurrect and thanks for the excellent pictures @koynekwest....This thread shows what an excellent teaching resource this forum can be....Cheers, RickO

• Options

You're welcome, ricko! The 1921 quarter also shows differences in the date. I don't know about the cent, dime, and half dollar.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you distinguish a type from a variety?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

I would classify it as a variety. To me, a type is an entirely different design, not a modification of an existing one.

• Options

@koynekwest said:
    I would classify it as a variety. To me, a type is an entirely different design, not a modification of an existing one.

That’s my thought, as well. Though what constitutes “an entirely different design” can be a matter of interpretation.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@koynekwest said:

That’s my thought, as well. Though what constitutes “an entirely different design” can be a matter of interpretation.

The 1913 Type 1, is a great example of this, as it is largely considered a single-year type, though the design is not entirely different than subsequent years’.

• Options

A modification of the ground the bison stands on is not a new design, i.e not a new type. If the bison was replaced by a wreath then that WOULD be a new type. Same with three stars and a slightly differing position of the eagle-a variety, not a type. The 2006 to date would be a new type as the portrait is entirely different than the pre 2006 version. The 2005 issue is also a distinct type. My opinion only, of course. The Red Book classifies the Buff 5c and SLQ as varieties.

• Options

@koynekwest said:
    A modification of the ground the bison stands on is not a new design, i.e not a new type. If the bison was replaced by a wreath then that WOULD be a new type. Same with three stars and a slightly differing position of the eagle-a variety, not a type. The 2006 to date would be a new type as the portrait is entirely different than the pre 2006 version. The 2005 issue is also a distinct type. My opinion only, of course. The Red Book classifies the Buff 5c and SLQ as varieties.

I largely agree. And yet, the Buffalo Nickel “varieties” are often referred to as “types”, including in the PCGS population report.

• Options

I know. I'd call them varieties. The old ANACS referred to them as varieties.

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes the 1921 is a neat coin. Full struck specimens can be awesome. Over the past two years or so I picked up 2 dateless
    1921s nickels because of the unique and well struck obverse. Same thing can be said about standing liberty quarters dated
    1925 - 1930. Because the dates were recessed to keep them from becoming dateless so quickly these coins should be consider a variety three of the design.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I'll be dipped in ...... I did not know that. And now I do. Thanks. Great way to start my day. Honey! Where's my loupe? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

I agree that the 1925-1930 SLQ merits a third variety.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2020 4:38PM

I believe that the 1920 buffalo five cent piece is also a one year variety/type due to a unique curl in the hair ribbon.

I learned that here on the forum.

• Options

Can you post from whom you got this info? I'd like to hear more.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

A technical point...any redesign to the 1921 Nickel dies would have been performed in 1920, so that the first 1921 working could be shipped in December of 1920. The economic situation in 1921 would have had nothing to do with it.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    A technical point...any redesign to the 1921 Nickel dies would have been performed in 1920, so that the first 1921 working could be shipped in December of 1920. The economic situation in 1921 would have had nothing to do with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depression_of_1920%E2%80%9321

The Depression of 1920–21 was a sharp deflationary recession in the United States and other countries, beginning 14 months after the end of World War I. It lasted from January 1920 to July 1921. The extent of the deflation was not only large, but large relative to the accompanying decline in real product.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

BRAVO @BuffaloIronTail ...... I really enjoy your post <3

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2020 10:21AM

My favorite year for the buffalo nickel. Also was my mother’s birth year.
    Great post buddy👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file