Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does your pet collect?

OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
The other night I got a reminder from someone on the boards that I owed him a check for a coin he had sent on approval. I got to looking around--I was sure I had sent itimage--and looked under my desk. There was the check--along with 2 bust halves and a seated quarter.image When I picked them up one would have thought that I had stolen one of my cat's kittens the way she reacted!!! That was HER collection--not mine!

I knew she had a warm spot below my desk near the computer, and I really don't mind the fact that she is always underfoot, but when she starts hiding my coins that is going to far!

How about the rest of you? Do your pets collect too?

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.

Comments

• Options
    I used to sort coins upstairs and i had a cat named Isabella..yes after the quarter! In the middle of the night when she was about nine monthes old she started picking up coins with her mouth and walking to the stairs and would drop them down. The stairs are wooden and made a neat sound to her ears but not mine at three AM. I also have a cat named Liberty but as of yet she has not followed suit but she does like to sleep under my grading light when it is on.
    All American Coin & Jewlery Co.
    6024 N. 9th Ave #5
    Pensacola, FL 32504
    HTTP://WWW.AACoinCo.Com
  • Options
    Yes--my Rottweiller-Shepard mix has a great eye for Morgan dollars--she recently chewed a PCGS slabbed common date Morgan that she took off the top of my desk--from the teeth marks guess you could call it environmental damage---the Morgan is fine but the slab has definitely seen better days.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My kitten Mittens sort of collects coins, but he hides dollar bills and candy underneath the couch. Everytime I move the couch to vaccuum, I find a boatload of candy. I'm just glad he doesn't eat any of it though. Also, when I look at coins under my loupe, he plays with the Lanyard.

Heres the little rascal image

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dora recently told me that she would like to collect coins with pictures of bones on them, but I am not buying her a Washington Skull and Crossbones Funeral Medal. No way!

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a cat that like to steal empty filps and 2 X 2 's.
  • Options
    ..........................image
  • Options
    well...my Chinchilla (Ike) named for the baby on South Park, not the bald dead President.... loves to chew on 2x2 flips...paper products and currency of anykind...once i left an old whitman blue folder near her cage and she grabbed the corner with her paw and pulled it into the cage....of course I wasnt home at the time image She's got very sharp teeth and decimated it LOL. She doesnt like metal or coins and wont do anything to them (phew)
  • Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    I have a little lovebird and he flies around the room. He lands on the desk and "fights" with the slabs. Picking one side up in his beak and pushing it off the desk.
  • Options

My dog, Sammi, has a nice collection of Indian head cents going. He only needs the keys to complete it. I look for good buys for him when I can.
    Enjoy each day as though it was your last.
  • Options
    My cat has an obsession with red copper coins. She also likes to play with empty flips.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started collecting dog medals for Aki but he was not impressed. So I sold them and bought him a pizza.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Mine could care less.

Case in point
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,474 ✭✭✭✭

I caught my son's cat trying to haul a roll of Bison Nickels upstairs to put under the bed. Along with socks, gloves, underwear, etc...........
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>image

I caught my son's cat trying to haul a roll of Bison Nickels upstairs to put under the bed. Along with socks, gloves, underwear, etc........... >>

lol.....my cat was part squirrel I believe. She loved doing things like that. She also liked toilet paper on the spool. She is gone now and we are still finding things she hid.
  • Options
    coinnut86coinnut86 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mine could care less.

Case in point
    image >>

is that a dachshund? image

mine likes to nose open my safe when its unlocked and take peeks inside, but he's never taken anything out... that I know of image
  • Options

<< <i>
    is that a dachshund? image

mine likes to nose open my safe when its unlocked and take peeks inside, but he's never taken anything out... that I know of image >>

Yes. Max the weiner dog as I call him.

He is one of the smartest dogs I have ever owned. Very curious little fellow. I have all women in my house and we have to keep the laundry room door closed. Seems he is a typical male....he loves women's underwear. Never bothers mine...lol.

• Options
    Had a dalmation a few years back, who liked to chew; Found him one morning chewing on a 85cc gsa dollar he retrieved off my desk, Luckily for me he only chewed up the black box and coa card image
  • Options
    OffMetalOffMetal Posts: 1,684
    I wondered what happened to that sample slab ... image

until I found it under the bed with teeth marks!
    -Ben T. * Collector of Errors! * Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    Ever own a ferret? 'nuff said!
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Collie. She likes to collect the mulch from the landscaping and bring it in on her fur.

She also collected my son's Tomas the tank engine. We couldnt find it for 2 days. It was wrapped up in her 10 inch hair.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    BUMP FOR UPDATE

Mrs. Cuddles is gone now--I lost her just before Christmas, but I treasure her collection--it's in the SDB right along with mine. She had added a few more halves and quarters. Seems like just like me she simply couldn't deal with the smaller denominations.

Here's hoping your pet's collections are coming along well.

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She's such a pretty Girl ..... I feel bad for you. image
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Jim. Very sad. Sounds like she had real personality.

But it's great you have nice memories and mementos. Anything otherwise special about the coins in her collection? image
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Jim. Very sad. Sounds like she had real personality.

But it's great you have nice memories and mementos. Anything otherwise special about the coins in her collection? image
    Lance. >>

Thanks, Lance. As for them being special, well, most of them were "cleaned" at one time or another.image
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to learn about your loss, Jim. That's never easy. Sounds like Mrs. Cuddles
    was a good companion animal, and not a bad numismatist, either.

My beagle-girls collect hound-related medals.

• Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BUMP FOR UPDATE

Mrs. Cuddles is gone now--I lost her just before Christmas, but I treasure her collection--it's in the SDB right along with mine. She had added a few more halves and quarters. Seems like just like me she simply couldn't deal with the smaller denominations.

image >>

I lost my 10yr old boxer on the 22nd...sorry for your loss!

As for pets and coins...my rott got a 2x2 envelope with an 1827 10c flat top one and chewed it up real nice! image
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BUMP FOR UPDATE

image >>

Very sorry for your loss. In November I lost my 16 year old Aussie Shepherd and my 19 year old cat in two weeks. Our cat died very suddenly the day after thanksgiving but at least we were all with her when she went.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    No, but I collect pets.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list