Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Update: I just bought the Rennaisance of American Coinage book from Smythe

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I heard this book is great and I am looking forward to getting it. I need some reading material for a trip next week, so hopefully it will ship soon. I live just a hop, skip, and a jump from NYC, so it should come soon.

Update: I just got the book (pretty fast shipping from those Smythe guys!). The book looks great. It is 344 pages and looks really interesting. Here is an abbreviated table of contents (the actual TOC is 3 pages long, with a lot of subheadings; what I typed below might not make much sense, but I didn't feel like typing three pages worth of stuff). Believe me, the breakout of the TOC indicates that this will be a pretty fascinating read, and I don't do the book justice with the abbreviated TOC below. The book was $60.49 (which includes first class shipping). A bargain in today's world of multimillion dollar coin sales.

1. Acknowledgements
2. Author’s preface
3. Introduction and background
4. Chapter 1: Design competition
5. Chapter 2: Sketches and models
6. Chapter 3: New designs, new delays
7. Chapter 4: Comments and reactions
8. Chapter 5: Patterns and proofs
9. Chapter 6: Comment and observations
10. Chapter 7: Story of the Peace Dollar
11. Chapter 8: Peace dollar designs
12. Chapter 9: Mythology
13. Chapter 10: Basics of making coin medal reductions
14. Chapter 11: Teresa de Francisci’s gifts
15. Chapter 12: 1921-22 Variety tables
16. Author’s comment and closing
17. Appendix (biographies, bibliographies, sources)
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    See update above
  • Options
    KoinlinkKoinlink Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    That really does sound interesting. I'll have to get a copy! Thanks for posting the contents.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a fantastic book. Buy one.
    Tom DeLorey
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I'm surprised there were not more comments. I am starting it tomorrow and will post some tidbits as I go through it. Has anyone else actually read the book?
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read it. Highly recommended & contains much original research. I'm looking forward to the next two volumes.
  • Options
    HootHoot Posts: 867
    This is the best numismatic text of recent years. A superbly researched and referenced work that stands heads and shoulders above most. Not only are most numismatic texts poorly referenced, but many are based on hearsay that has become entrenched in dogma. To make matters worse, the roots of numismatic hearsay or evidence to the contrary, have never been properly exposed. Roger Burdette is meticulous in his research and backs his findings and claims with due citation. Roger is also one of the best writers that has hit the shelves recently, taking a lucid and logical approach to his subjects. And his book haas an index image - a feature sorely lacking from most numismatic texts.

Hope you truly enjoy the text, Michael.

Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file