Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I've Lost Respect For Willie Mays

2»

Comments

• yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭
    I personally have a harsh opinion of Willie Mays that I will save you all from and not mention....but a little known fact about how Mays feels/felt about Mantle...
    Prior to Mantle's death, Willie Mays refused to sign anything already signed by Mantle. So if you wanted an item with Willie, Mickey, and the Duke, you better get it signed by Willie first.
    Now that Mantle is gone, I have heard some rumors that if he is in a decent enough mood, he will now sign items already auto'd by Mantle...that is IF you catch him in the right mood.
  • schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I'd heard all of the horror stories about Mays, so when i wanted to get my 1968 Topps Superstars card signed my him at a show in NYC a couple of years back, I called the promoter in advance to see if there would be any problems. Not like that would mean much if he refused the item when I presented it, but I figured it might save some time if it was a big no from the get go. The promoter said it wouldn't be a problem. I ended up taking an 8 hr roundtrip bus ride to NYC, waited in line for about 40 minutes or so, but as you can see from the results, it was well worth it:

Mine was the second item he signed after having just saying goodbye to Joe Frazier who was leaving after his signing time was done. The two hugged, and even posed for pictures together for all of the people in line. When it came time to sign my card, I addressed him ("Hello Mr. Mays."), he looked at it for a second, put down the blue ink pen he had just signed a ball with, selected a closed cap sharpie, and signed. I collected the card, thanked him (Thank you sir, I hope you have a pleasant day."), and even got a handshake.

I realize that my story is probably one of the few positive ones, but I can only say that my experience with him was great, certainly better than onces I've had with Rod Carew and Don Larsen at shows. While some people feel that since they are paying X amount of $ for an autograph they can act however they want to the player, I've always been in the "Please/Thank you Sir" mode when presenting my items to be signed, and have rarely had a problem.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • OverratedOverrated Posts: 454 ✭✭
    Mays was always a clown! and never the the player he thinks he was, Mantle was and still is king! 18 home runs in world series, most runs ,hits, rbi, walks you name it Mantle own it! how many world series rings mays have compare to Mantle? Go home mays ! you have always been rude, Mantle is the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    I've discussed Willie Mays in the past with a friend (ex MLB player in the 60's & 70's!) Larry Brown (12 years in the majors, mostly with the Cleveland Indians!).

We had discussed my concerns that the value of some of my Mays baseball cards my be depressed in value because of Mays being such a SOB. Larry was surprised to hear me say that, as he told me that during all his encounters with Mays, during his 12 year career, and as far as he knew, Mays was really a nice guy!

I'd say, i had that conversation with Larry about 3-4 years ago!

rbd

P.S. But who knows? Maybe Mays acted like a really nice person around fellow major leaguers? But around everyone else, like a Dick?

edit: Just a heads up: Larry Brown's big brother, Dick Brown also played! He was a catcher for Detroit (played in the majors for 9 seasons: '57 to '65). Sadly, Dick Brown died not long after he left the majors from a brain tumor!
  • I have been to many shows where Willie was signing and have NEVER heard a nice thing said about his personality or demeanor at the show. Same with Aaron.
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Schr, Im glad your experience with Mays was pleasant because that card is off the charts. What a beauty!!!

• << <i>I think he has a reputation of having a semi-split personality. On some occassions, he is surly and not friendly. On other occassions, he is very warm and all smiles. Barry Bonds was the same way - well, at least before the Balco scandal, now it will all be surly and not-friendly from Bonds.

In any case, who cares what he says now or does now. All I care was what he did on the baseball field when he was playing. I didn't care that Mantle was a binge drinker, or that Ruth slept with almost as many women as Wilt Chamberlain, or that Kirby Puckett has domestic problems or that Wade Boggs cheated on his wife - just what they did on the field was fine with me. >>

Playa, I agree with you all the way. Some players just hate the media.... period!
    Nothing smoother than listening to Bob James and sipping on a glass of vintage Courvoisier! It's PIMPnificent!

• << <i>Willie was always a hero of mine but I have to agree he is not the friendliest person around for sure.He certainly has his mood swings. >>

No mood swings! He has always been a bi-polar bitter man now with added senelity!

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!

• << <i>I'd heard all of the horror stories about Mays, so when i wanted to get my 1968 Topps Superstars card signed my him at a show in NYC a couple of years back, I called the promoter in advance to see if there would be any problems. Not like that would mean much if he refused the item when I presented it, but I figured it might save some time if it was a big no from the get go. The promoter said it wouldn't be a problem. I ended up taking an 8 hr roundtrip bus ride to NYC, waited in line for about 40 minutes or so, but as you can see from the results, it was well worth it:

Mine was the second item he signed after having just saying goodbye to Joe Frazier who was leaving after his signing time was done. The two hugged, and even posed for pictures together for all of the people in line. When it came time to sign my card, I addressed him ("Hello Mr. Mays."), he looked at it for a second, put down the blue ink pen he had just signed a ball with, selected a closed cap sharpie, and signed. I collected the card, thanked him (Thank you sir, I hope you have a pleasant day."), and even got a handshake.

I realize that my story is probably one of the few positive ones, but I can only say that my experience with him was great, certainly better than onces I've had with Rod Carew and Don Larsen at shows. While some people feel that since they are paying X amount of $ for an autograph they can act however they want to the player, I've always been in the "Please/Thank you Sir" mode when presenting my items to be signed, and have rarely had a problem. >>

Thanks for posting this scan! this is a really nice looking piece of memorabila and I usually am not a fan of the stuff!

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Thanks for the comments! I actually have another one of the cards:

I had picked it up from Mike Gutierrez Auctions after getting my original card completed. Since I didn't witness the autograph signings on this one, I had it certified by PSA/DNA as well as having the original MG GAI/DNA certification. You can never have too much of a good thing!

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd heard all of the horror stories about Mays, so when i wanted to get my 1968 Topps Superstars card signed my him at a show in NYC a couple of years back, I called the promoter in advance to see if there would be any problems. Not like that would mean much if he refused the item when I presented it, but I figured it might save some time if it was a big no from the get go. The promoter said it wouldn't be a problem. I ended up taking an 8 hr roundtrip bus ride to NYC, waited in line for about 40 minutes or so, but as you can see from the results, it was well worth it:

I realize that my story is probably one of the few positive ones, but I can only say that my experience with him was great, certainly better than onces I've had with Rod Carew and Don Larsen at shows. While some people feel that since they are paying X amount of $ for an autograph they can act however they want to the player, I've always been in the "Please/Thank you Sir" mode when presenting my items to be signed, and have rarely had a problem. >>

Thanks for posting this scan! this is a really nice looking piece of memorabila and I usually am not a fan of the stuff!

image >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • I was reading this thread last week.

I got Willie Mays autograph this weekend at the South Coast in Las Vegas. It was very expensive!!!!
    The prices were $175.00 for a flat or baseball and $350.00 for bat or jersey.
    I went on Saturday and had him sign a jersey, Mitchell & Ness, which the people with Willie sold me. I paid $495.00 for the jersey and signature. Willie was friendly to me, probably because he was making so much money. He did shake my hand.

I noticed that a lot of people were getting a ball signed and Willie was signing them all in Sharpie. I went back again today to get a ball signed for $175.00. I brought my own ink pen with me and asked if Willie could sign in ink. He did and went ahead and used my pen. I also saw Willie pose for a few pictures. Other than the prices, I saw nothing wrong with Willie's behavior.

GAI was also on site and was charging $5.00 per item to authenticate.
  • Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    now that is a super easy 5 bucks.....considering he is right there!!

• Well I've read all of the posts to this thread, and I realize that I am arriving very late in the discussion. The parts about separating the behaviour of the athlete off the field with that behaviour on the field has me thinking.
    I'll use Kirby Puckett as an example, he was a first ballot HOF'er with 82%.
    Looking at the numbers, how can Albert Belle wind up with a first ballot of 7%, if athletic performance is all that is considered?
    Puckett and Belle had equivalent years of MLB service

Career G AB R H 2B 3B HR GS RBI BB IBB SO SH SF HBP GIDP AVG OBP SLG
    12 Years 1,783 7,244 1,071 2,304 414 57 207 7 1,085 450 85 965 23 58 56 188 .318 .360 .477 PUCKETT
    12 Years 1,539 5,853 974 1,726 389 21 381 13 1,239 683 91 961 4 78 55 193 .295 .369 .564 BELLE

Looking at these stats, I don't see a differential of 75% in raw numbers and a vote differential of 88%
    If what a person did off the field (depending on what they did) either bsoth or neither of these players should be in the HOF. Certainly one is not a first ballot and one a 7% candidate.