Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I've Lost Respect For Willie Mays

Did anybody hear Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann interview Willie Mays on ESPN Radio this afternoon? He really came off as a conceited jerk. Dan Patrick was at Spring Training out in Arizona as the Giants were taking on the Cubs, and Willie was there. Dan asked him, "What are some of your best spring training memories?" And Mays replied, "I don't have any memories. Spring Training was just a time to get ready to play baseball."

After a few more comments, they asked him about how he felt about the media's portrayal of his godson, Barry Bonds. Mays said, "I thought this interview was going to be about Willie Mays." (yes, he used third person). He went on to say how he wasn't going to comment on some other player.

Then, they asked him to rank Barry and to name his top 5 players of all time. Again, he was very obnoxious and said something like, "I thought we were going to talk about Willie Mays. I don't have any opinion on any other ball player."

That really made me loss alot of respect for the one of the greatest. I really can't remember everything that was said. If someone can add to this, then please do. He just really came off as very full of himself.

And for those of you that think maybe Dan and Keith tried to pry and push him, and be obnoxious theirselves, they did not and were not. I thought they were very respectful and didn't push the issue.

Very disappointed.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw Willie at a local show years ago. He wasn't a pr*ck, but he wasn't very friendly. He never looked up of acknowledged the fans. When he showed up people started cheering WIL-LIE WIL-LIE, and he just sat down and started signing.

I for one don't really care for him or his cards. He has had a pretty good life, I don't know why he is such a grump.
    Mike
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    It's a dirty little secret that he's always been pretty much of a jerk. He never had the friendliness of Mantle or the class of Aaron. Just check out the scribble that masquerades as his autograph. That'll tell you all you need to know.

Stay classy,

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    I think he has a reputation of having a semi-split personality. On some occassions, he is surly and not friendly. On other occassions, he is very warm and all smiles. Barry Bonds was the same way - well, at least before the Balco scandal, now it will all be surly and not-friendly from Bonds.

In any case, who cares what he says now or does now. All I care was what he did on the baseball field when he was playing. I didn't care that Mantle was a binge drinker, or that Ruth slept with almost as many women as Wilt Chamberlain, or that Kirby Puckett has domestic problems or that Wade Boggs cheated on his wife - just what they did on the field was fine with me.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think he has a reputation of having a semi-split personality. On some occassions, he is surly and not friendly. On other occassions, he is very warm and all smiles. Barry Bonds was the same way - well, at least before the Balco scandal, now it will all be surly and not-friendly from Bonds.

In any case, who cares what he says now or does now. All I care was what he did on the baseball field when he was playing. I didn't care that Mantle was a binge drinker, or that Ruth slept with almost as many women as Wilt Chamberlain, or that Kirby Puckett has domestic problems or that Wade Boggs cheated on his wife - just what they did on the field was fine with me. >>

In one way I agree with you. I am able to seperate what they do on the field from off. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't bother me, because it does.

Shane

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    I can keep it separate when it comes to evaluating a guy as a player. Still, a jerk is a jerk. Some jerks are good ball players. image
  • Options
    jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
    I wouldn't be happy either if I had to answer questions from that idiot dan patrick. he is nothing but a hack, by the way stuart scott is also as big of a moron. cause of jerks like them I can't even watch or listen to espn.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

I heard the interview as well and I think Willie lost it when the second question was about Bonds. He was taken way back at that question that he became defensive. I think that set the tone for the interview.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Wellll.... I'd cut Willie some slack.

All reporters are doing around the Giants Spring Training facility is asking about Bonds. I think the Giants players are getting irritated with the constant "Bonds this, Bonds that."

I'm sure that wasn't the first time a reporter asked Mays about what he thought of the Bonds situation this spring. After multiple times of giving the same answer, I can see the guys getting ticked off at the fact that the question is being asked over, and over, and over again.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    wouldn't be happy either if I had to answer questions from that idiot dan patrick. he is nothing but a hack

that is interesting you call dan patrick a hack. besides bob costas i cannot think of anyone in the national sports media that has his credibility. i would be curious to whom you would listen to? i do agree that stuart scott is cartoon.

did willie mays not think that barry bonds questions would come up?
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    he is barry's godfather and long-time friend of bonds family.

he naturally is defensive fielding questions about his steroid-abusing godson...

i don't care if he ran over dead babies, he had a great career and his cards sell for nice premiums

big up
    Julen
    TGIF
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    It's sad to see baseball take a "Giant step" (my pun for the day! image) backwards regarding the Barry Bonds doping mess!

I've got to say, it was exciting to go to a Marlins/Giants game a few years ago, and see an extra 10,000 fans to the otherwise "sparcely filled" ballpark of our Florida, soon to be, maybe the San Antonio Fish?

The reason everyone was there, ...well, it was to see Barry of course, and also root for the Fish? Well ok! And yep, barry did it! That is, "hit one out!" (I guess a little further than any normal guy would on that hot sunny Florida day? Unless u are a Mickey Mantle! image).

Yep, sports does seem to get damaged from those arrogant, selfish a-holes, i.e., Ricky Williams, Palmero, Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, Gooden, Strawberry, Denny McClain, Rose (no, he didn't bet on baseball! image), etc. who, I guess felt they are, "above the rest of us, ...above the law, and, ...above the game"!

Those extra 10,000 fans at that Marlins game?

Well Barry, give them all their money back! They came to see a hero! Not a baseball fraud! You suck Barry!

And as far as your uncle (Godfather) Willie is concerned, he does not serve baseball well, with those types of public interviews! That really stunk!

rbd

edit: here is an interesting article about Bonds: Bonds in the hall? Answer is 'yes' -- but check back

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Willie was always a hero of mine but I have to agree he is not the friendliest person around for sure.He certainly has his mood swings.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Growing up in the South, Mays was witness to some of the worst racism you can imagine. I have heard also as was stated in an earlier post that Mays can be at times warm and friendly and others aloof and surly.

I think he has always carried a bit of a chip on his shoulder, and maybe that's what motivated him to be such a great ball player. I read in a book that he always felt slighted by the fact that Mantle was perceived as the "best player in baseball" when Mays felt, and rightfully so, that he deserved that title but Mantle got all the press because he was white. In addition, after Mays retired, he felt slighted by Giants managment (Bob Lurie days) for some reason. When the current management took over the Giants, and built the new ball park (whatever the hell it's called now) the honored Mays with a statue right out in front, a renamed a road for him right outside the park. There is also a restaurant called "24" in the park.

Still, both Mays and Bonds' father instilled in Barry the belief not to trust white people which is really interesting considering that Mays lives on one of the most affluent yet lilly white suburbs of San Francisco, and Barry attended a nearly all-white high school and if you believe the recent Sports Illustrated article has a fondness for white women.

Yes, Mays has a big ego, but when you can do the deed, it ain't braggin...

For some reason we want our heroes to be nice guys too. Doesn't always work out that way. I agree with a lot of the posters in this thread. Appreciate their deeds on the field, not off.
  • Options
    Well, the poetic justice here is that we make money off Willies' cards

He don't make SH*T

Sadly, many of baseballs greatest were complete jerkoffs
    But no one in life should have to do anything to live up to others expectations of them,
    or to satisfy them.
    They played the game, they walked off the field
    All I give a sh*t about is what they did ON the field, the rest is their business.

Now Barry on the other hand SUCKS, He is a fu**king cheater and an as*hole to boot !!!!
    He SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS...... (sorry had to vent)

At least "Say Hey" didn't cheat

J.M.O.
    TC
    For the love of the game
    And the cards that go with it
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Not surprised. Willie was always surly when I saw him at shows. I met him once on an elevator at Bally's in Atlantic City when he worked there as a "good will" ambassador. I told him he was my Dad's favorite player [he was]. Willie didn't respond.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    Met many ballplayers via card shows, as I worked for show promoters during my teen years. Mays was hands down A Pr_ick #1.

Banks #1 in terms of friendliness.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was impressed with what Willie remembers when interviewed.

He also recently was interviewed on espn with respect to the days of segregated baseball.

A lot of players were dissapointed that Buck O'neill and Minoso weren't inducted.

My son got an auto from Willie - not one of Justin's great memories. 1992 National - Willie was miffed that his line was short and the one for Rose and Bench WAS!

I'm with the group that has reached the point where I just don't give it a lot of thought anymore.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Willie Mays was my first baseball "hero" starting in 1969. Even as a 9-11 yr old, I knew Willie had an attitude and wasn't too friendly. As I got older, I learned why. Bill James articulated it nicely.
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    I've heard horror stories about Willie Mays at show signings, but I wouldn't be surprised if in this instance, Willie Mays told producers of the radio show he would not be taking any questions on Barry Bonds beforehand, only to get asked about Bonds during the interview. It happens all the time and some athletes avoid answering the question more deftly than others.

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    Mays is very interested in the public personna of him. He is painfully shy. He is not a good conversationalist. He has been slighted many times over the years both during and after his playing career by comparisons to white players. His perception is that he gets the short end of things. He tries to be graceful, but he is not well schooled that way. The Bonds questions are sure to drive him to madness. Everywhere he goes he either has to be surly and short or flat-out ignore people who seek information he neither has nor cares to know about.
    I think Willie Mays should be cut a tremendous amount of slack. He's not a spring chicken anymore and sometimes his faculties only allow him to be "all business". He's a solid citizen who is arguably the greatest living baseball player. Not everyone can be Ernie Banks all the time. Willie is just fine in my book.

dgf
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭
    Willie is a first-class a-hole. Always has been, always will be. Those comments on ESPN are not at all surprising to me.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>Not surprised. Willie was always surly when I saw him at shows. I met him once on an elevator at Bally's in Atlantic City when he worked there as a "good will" ambassador. I told him he was my Dad's favorite player [he was]. Willie didn't respond. >>

You probably had on a shirt that said "Mantle Fan".
  • Options
    I met Mays one time at a show. He signed a multi-player item for me that was signed in blue sharpie. He used a black pen.

'nuff said
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Makes you wonder what some of these guys would have done for a living
    if they hadn't happened to inherit genes that allowed them to excel in sports.

For some reason, "You want fries with that" comes to mind ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options

<< <i>Willie is a first-class a-hole. Always has been, always will be. Those comments on ESPN are not at all surprising to me. >>

Did he steal your lunch money? Why the hate?
  • Options

<< <i>You probably had on a shirt that said "Mantle Fan" >>

For the love of the game
    And the cards that go with it
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I think you have to cut any black athlete from that time a little bit of slack. I heard Oscar Robertson talk about what it was like being a black basketball player in the 1960's, and he said flat out that he's never gotten over some of the stuff that was said and done to him, and he doubts he will until the day he dies. It just must have been incredibly stressful to be a high profile black athlete 50 years ago-- some guys have handled it with grace, and some guys (understandably, in my book) have not. That doesn't excuse penny-ante BS like signing a multi player item in black pen, or refusing to acknowledge a fan in an elevator, but it does, I think, explain why a guy like Willie Mays may be bitter and unyielding at times.
  • Options

<< <i>Did he steal your lunch money? Why the hate? >>

I know how we feel about athlete's we admire but I also don't think they are above being taken to task for being a**holes. I'm so tired of pampering these guys because they hit a baseball 40+ years ago. If you want to be a jerk-off then keep it to yourself and step out of the spotlight. No one is holding a gun to their heads to do interviews or make themselves available to the press.
    Sorry but I kiss the a** of no man including the Say Hey Kid!
  • Options
    Again Boo, I agree with you.

As for the fan aspect. I had a conversation tonight with a friend about athletes that went above and beyond.

His story was where he was standing outside a hotel in Chicago and a wedding had just occured. He witnessed the brides grandparents be left when all the other family and friends had left. They were deliberating about taking a taxi to their house, some many miles away, because their limo driver never showed. Albert Pujols walked up to the door of the hotel because the Cards were in town playing the Cubs. Pujols over heard the elderly couple talking and called for a limo(which always stand by in front of Chicago hotels) to come up. The driver came up and rolled down the window and Albert insisted for the elderly couple to get in and told the driver that he was paying for them to get home. They rode off and Pujols humbly went inside.

I thought this was a great story and am happy to relay it tonight.

I then shared one of my stories. This is more applicable to the comments about recognizing fans.

I was bartending in a Chicago restaurant and I see Ron Santo come in. This was about 6 years ago so it was before Santo lost his legs to troubloe with diabetes. Anywhoo, I left the bar and went over to the table that he and his wife were dining at. It was about 5:00 so I had just gotten in and the place was not busy so I could leave the bar for a while.

I got to his table and said, "Mr. Santo, I just want to let you know that I am a fan of yours and Pat Hughes(his co-radio announcer for the Cubs) and I can appreciate all you were able to do in baseball while fighting diabetes.(I didn't tell him, but my whole paternal side of the family is afflicted with diabetes.)" He thanked me and I went on my way.

He must have watched where I went because on his way out of the restaurant he walked up to the bar. He came up to me and said "Thank you for taking the time to say hello. I always enjoy when a fan of mine lets me know he appreciates me."

I have been a huge Ron Santo fan ever since.

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Very cool stories Zef!
  • Options

<< <i>Very cool stories Zef! >>

Thank B dubs.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>Again Boo, I agree with you.

As for the fan aspect. I had a conversation tonight with a friend about athletes that went above and beyond.

His story was where he was standing outside a hotel in Chicago and a wedding had just occured. He witnessed the brides grandparents be left when all the other family and friends had left. They were deliberating about taking a taxi to their house, some many miles away, because their limo driver never showed. Albert Pujols walked up to the door of the hotel because the Cards were in town playing the Cubs. Pujols over heard the elderly couple talking and called for a limo(which always stand by in front of Chicago hotels) to come up. The driver came up and rolled down the window and Albert insisted for the elderly couple to get in and told the driver that he was paying for them to get home. They rode off and Pujols humbly went inside.

I thought this was a great story and am happy to relay it tonight.

I then shared one of my stories. This is more applicable to the comments about recognizing fans.

I was bartending in a Chicago restaurant and I see Ron Santo come in. This was about 6 years ago so it was before Santo lost his legs to troubloe with diabetes. Anywhoo, I left the bar and went over to the table that he and his wife were dining at. It was about 5:00 so I had just gotten in and the place was not busy so I could leave the bar for a while.

I got to his table and said, "Mr. Santo, I just want to let you know that I am a fan of yours and Pat Hughes(his co-radio announcer for the Cubs) and I can appreciate all you were able to do in baseball while fighting diabetes.(I didn't tell him, but my whole paternal side of the family is afflicted with diabetes.)" He thanked me and I went on my way.

He must have watched where I went because on his way out of the restaurant he walked up to the bar. He came up to me and said "Thank you for taking the time to say hello. I always enjoy when a fan of mine lets me know he appreciates me."

I have been a huge Ron Santo fan ever since. >>

I'm with you-- I am a huge Ron Santo fan and I cannot figure out why he is not in the Hall of Fame. That just kills me. As far as I'm concerned off the field behavior-- i.e., how you represent the game when you're not on the diamond-- should be a contributing factor that the BBWAA considers when candidates are put before them. This factor alone shouldn't keep you in or keep you out (although I will love it if Bonds doesn't get in on the first ballot), but it should push a guy over the top or perhaps keep him out if he's a borderline candidate who acted like a total tool.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the deal with signing...

Some athletes won't even sign for "other athletes!"

Bill Russell comes to mind.

Of course, he got an incurable case of auto-philia when he was being paid outrageous sums to sign his name.

So, if anyone wants my auto - I'm a nice guy. image

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I think you have to cut any black athlete from that time a little bit of slack. I heard Oscar Robertson talk about what it was like being a black basketball player in the 1960's, and he said flat out that he's never gotten over some of the stuff that was said and done to him, and he doubts he will until the day he dies. It just must have been incredibly stressful to be a high profile black athlete 50 years ago-- some guys have handled it with grace, and some guys (understandably, in my book) have not. That doesn't excuse penny-ante BS like signing a multi player item in black pen, or refusing to acknowledge a fan in an elevator, but it does, I think, explain why a guy like Willie Mays may be bitter and unyielding at times. >>

I realized that black athletes had it rough, and maybe Willie too at some point. But, if you look at Willie now, he is adored. People love Willie Mays, and he is still a jerk to them.

Why can't Willie Mays be like Buck O'Neil. Now, there is a class act. If you was to ask me, "who would you rather spend a day with - Willie Mays or Buck O'Neil?" - I would say that I would rather spend 15 minutes with Buck O'Neil than a whole day with Willie Mays.

Also, about Albert Pujols, that's not the first time I've heard a great story about him. Truly, a class guy. Oh yeah, he is one heck of a hitter too!

Shane

• Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    when it comes to class and being a gentlemen no ex-superstar can top the MAN

• Options
    Just my 2 cents, but i feel if an athlete is being paid to sign at a card show they can at leats be polite. I went to a show 1 time where Mays was signing and i ended up somehow near the front of the autograph line, he was rude and would not acknowledge anyone. My childhood hero is Reggie Jackson, i've come to realize that he is right up there with Mr Mays in the a- hole category. growing up i was and am an Oakland A's fan and could not stand the Dodgersand especially Steve Garvey, i had a chance to have him sign a ball at a local card show once, after signing he stood up shook my hand and said thank you. definitely mad a big impact on me and how i felt about him and is one of my favorite memories of meeting a sports star. PB
  • Options

<< <i>when it comes to class and being a gentlemen no ex-superstar can top the MAN

image >>

Hey, I have the photo autographed hanging on my wall!

Shane

• Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    I recall reading in SCD back in the late '80's about a free-lance writer who tried to get an interview from Willie. He didn't get to bat, let alone first base. The subsequent article on Willie was pretty disturbing. Naturally, Willie has probably been approached many times in a pretty shameful manner. Yet it sure sounds as if Willie's manners are pretty shameful. He feels somehow slighted that fans like Mickey Mantle more than he. Maybe if Willie had gotten his team to the World Series and thus on TV more often, people would have favored him more. Most of the fans were white. Perhaps it is natural to identify more with a white athlete when you are white yourself. There really isn't anything wrong with that, as long as you're not feeling like if you're white, you're superior. I grew up in Chicago and I just adored Ernie Banks. I came to feel the same way about Jackie Robinson. As I reflect on it as a middle-aged person who has enjoyed sports and collecting a lot of his life, I came to realize a long time ago that my feelings run very deep for certain athletes. It makes no difference the race or country. Yet I am a very, very sensitive person. I guess I put these guys on pedestals, when in reality they're no more than entertainers. Yet deep down I do enjoy them for what they do, OR DID, but I also look at what kind of a person they are. Maybe I'm not supposed to combine the two. It's sure dangerous to combine the two. Yet I am human and I guess I was raised to say "please" when asking for something and "thank-you" when someone does something for me or compliments me. When I face rudeness, I react with varying degrees of disappointment, irritation, anger, etc. Maybe Willie was never taught any manners. Maybe he does not understand gratitude. Let's face it, at his age, who would he listen to anyway? An in-person autograph is NEVER just the signed name, it is the whole experience. Perhaps that's why certain athletes are loved as much or more after they retire and do card shows--they smile, they shake a hand, they pose for a picture and look just as excited as the fan him/herself, they do interviews and try to dig deep into their memories for a story to take us back to the way it was, and so on, and so on. In doing so, they create even bigger fans and collectors, and bring tears to our eyes when we're alone and we think, they made me feel so glad and special that I was THEIR fan. Bobby Hull asked a girl named Carol who wanted a personalized autograph "is that with a 'C' or a 'K'"? If a person asked Maurice Richard for his autograph, he felt that if they wanted his autograph, he would make sure it was very neat and legible. These are just two examples of guys who CARED VERY MUCH ABOUT THEIR FANS AND HOW THEY FELT ABOUT THEM. True, athletes can and do get overwhelmed. Ted Williams would tell them to stand in a line and anyone who touched him had to go to the end of the line. The more you get to know some athletes, the more you like them. Conversely, the more you get to know SOME athletes, the more you can't stand them. Say, hey, didn't Willie used to advertize for Converse shoes? Someone said that Willie cares about how the fans feel about him. Really??!!? Like the late '80's SI article on Mr. Mint and the autograph industry wisely pointed out, if you are a big Willie Mays fan, and come to a show for his autograph, you might be better off to stay at home. You'll run a serious risk of injuring or scarring the nice memories and built-up illusions that you've worked so hard to create. -IndianaJones

• Options
    jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
    If i was bill russell I wouldn't sign for people either. He had some terrible things happen to him and his family. Ty Cobb was a great player but how many people call him their hero or idol. greatest sports biography I ever read was the one about cobb that the movie was based on.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    IndianaJones, sound post - I do agree with your take on things. It's for subliminal (sometimes) reasons such as you state that I admire Killebrew and Campanella so much - and don't really care about Willie Mays. Everyone has some kind of cross to bear - and some do it better than others. Those who do it exceptionally well while always in the public eye are more deserving of, and do receive, my sincere admiration.

Oh, and Barry Bonds is pond scum. Hmm! That felt good.
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Regardless of how one acts at card shows, or at least some shows, not many of us can truly say we "know" him well, yet we are quite quick to pass judgement on this personality, moods, background, speech, manners, and more.

While he might not be the best public speaker at his present age, a Mays in his prime might have been the best all-around player ever.
    Only Ty Cobb among all the great stars who ever played, also had at least one season leading in HRs, AND at least one season leading in stolen bases. His defense was widely thought be among the best ever. Willie could do it all, and with a flair, unquestionable as one of the best complete baseball players ever.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options

<< <i>Just my 2 cents, but i feel if an athlete is being paid to sign at a card show they can at leats be polite. I went to a show 1 time where Mays was signing and i ended up somehow near the front of the autograph line, he was rude and would not acknowledge anyone. My childhood hero is Reggie Jackson, i've come to realize that he is right up there with Mr Mays in the a- hole category. growing up i was and am an Oakland A's fan and could not stand the Dodgersand especially Steve Garvey, i had a chance to have him sign a ball at a local card show once, after signing he stood up shook my hand and said thank you. definitely mad a big impact on me and how i felt about him and is one of my favorite memories of meeting a sports star. PB >>

Frank, I completely agree with you and I'm in no way trying to excuse Willie Mays' behavior. But I do think it's understand the context of someone else's life when forming a judgment on them.
  • Options
    Willie Mays being a jerk has nothing to do with his excellence as a ballplayer. Other players have been equally as excellent, and some show true class, while some others show their true colors. No one should be "excused" because they've led a "challenging life" for outright boorish behavior that's not warranted. If they're remotely functional, everyone is capable of personally deciding to be a jerk or not.

Suffice to say, I would cross the street to have the chance to meet Harmon Killebrew (for example.) I would cross several streets to avoid the likes of Wille Mays. I personally, do refuse to suffer stuck-up prima donnas kindly.
  • Options
    a few years back a friend of a friend ( A hardcore collector) was getting willie to sign a great looking 500 home run club poster. everybody signed their uniforms on the pictue. except mays, he signed hank aaron's face instead!!!!!! what an as%hole. matrix.
  • Options
    Exactly my point. No respect for others - not Aaron - not the (once proud, I imagine) owner of the poster - a fan of no one other than himself.

I might consider standing in line and paying the auto fee just to tell him off, however. That'd probably go well.
  • Options
    Stupid double board post!
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If i was bill russell I wouldn't sign for people either. He had some terrible things happen to him and his family. Ty Cobb was a great player but how many people call him their hero or idol. greatest sports biography I ever read was the one about cobb that the movie was based on. >>

Of course, that biography was written by Al Stump - who has been found to be selling counterfeit Ty Cobb memorabilia. So who knows how accurate that book is?

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>Willie Mays being a jerk has nothing to do with his excellence as a ballplayer. Other players have been equally as excellent, and some show true class, while some others show their true colors. No one should be "excused" because they've led a "challenging life" for outright boorish behavior that's not warranted. If they're remotely functional, everyone is capable of personally deciding to be a jerk or not.

Suffice to say, I would cross the street to have the chance to meet Harmon Killebrew (for example.) I would cross several streets to avoid the likes of Wille Mays. I personally, do refuse to suffer stuck-up prima donnas kindly. >>

You totally missed the point. Nobody's talking about 'excusing' anyone-- read the rest of my posts. What I'm talking about is trying to understand the context of another man's life, and taking that a step further and understanding how that context informs their present behavior. That's what I'm talking about when I say 'cutting him some slack'. The behavior is inexcusable-- but so what? That's obvious from the start. Nobody would defend that kind of boorishness. The key is not to excuse it, or condemn it, but to try and understand it.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Anyone ever see the Arliss episode about the "Ted Williams-like" character who was called by some other name. The guy was friendly and nice sometimes and a jerk others. Arliss can't figure him out and later the former player explains that is not who he is, the media made him out into a nice guy hero so if that is who they want him to be, they have to pay him. He is always a jerk to Arliss as he just sees him as an employee.

I guess some of these former players could be bitter about the fact that they worked in the offseason and now look at what players make. I guess it is like any profession- you could talk to 10 random famrers, doctors, 7-11 employees, etc. and there would be some friendly some jerks and some who barely speak english.