Home U.S. Coin Forum

Price information for US Mint 24kt gold coins

I was invited to take an online survey concerning the products and services offered by the US Mint. In the survey, they asked about my interest in some upcoming products. They also included price ranges for these products. I had never seen this information before, so I thought some here might be interested.

24 kt Gold Buffalo coins
(prices based on Gold market price of $550/oz)
Proof 1 oz $800-$825
Uncirculated 1 oz $680-$705
Bullion 1 oz $570-$580 (available through bullion dealers only)

24 kt Gold First Spouse coins
Proof 1/2 oz $385-$400
Bullion 1/2 oz $310-$320 (available through bullion dealers only)

The survey asked about my interest in this year's Platinum Eagle coins. The price they gave for the 1 oz coin is $1500. They didn't give prices for any of the other sizes. The survey did not mention anything about the 20th anniversary American Eagle sets.

This is my first post, even though I've been reading for a few months.
Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

Comments

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info and welcome. I find it interesting that MS Buffalos will be available from the Mint and dealers; it's similar to Mint Sets and true business strikes.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Other than about $100, do you know what the difference between the uncirculated and bullion 1 ounce Buffalo coins is supposed to be?

Thanks,

Charlie
    There's nothing in the rule book that says an elephant can't pitch.

• coasterfancoasterfan Posts: 1,302
    The survey did not give any details about the difference between the Uncirculated Buffalo vs. the Bullion Buffalo. I was also surprised they were thinking about offering the Uncirculated since I had only heard about the Proof Buffalo.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Was the 1 oz bullion, the current gold eagles?
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Other than about $100, do you know what the difference between the uncirculated and bullion 1 ounce Buffalo coins is supposed to be?

Thanks,

Charlie >>

I would imagine the uncirculated coins would recieve special handling (no bag marks) and get special packaging similar to what the uncirculated commems get.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• coasterfancoasterfan Posts: 1,302

<< <i>Was the 1 oz bullion, the current gold eagles? >>

No, these are 24 kt Gold buffalo bullion coins. I believe they would be offered in addition to the current gold eagle bullion coins.

I guess the prices are a bit less than I expected from the Mint, for the higher grade gold coinage.

thanks for the info.
    Gary
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    So they are going to offer the following:

1 oz Proof Eagles
    1 oz Unc Eagles

1 oz Proof Buffalo
    1 oz Unc Buffalo
    1 oz Bullion Buffalo

That does make sense, at least to me

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • JDelageJDelage Posts: 724 ✭✭
    I don't understand what warrants the premium for the uncirculated coins.

Welcome, and thanks for sharing.
    "The greatest productive force is human selfishness."
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • notlogicalnotlogical Posts: 2,235
    What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
    image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>I don't understand what warrants the premium for the uncirculated coins. >>

They will probably come in a nice plastic capsule in a cardboard box. (Like the 1982 Washington halves did.)
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

The survey asked about my interest in this year's Platinum Eagle coins. The price they gave for the 1 oz coin is $1500. They didn't give prices for any of the other sizes. The survey did not mention anything about the 20th anniversary American Eagle sets.

This is my first post, even though I've been reading for a few months. >>

I hope the mint doesn't restrike 2005 silver eagles just for the 20th anniversary!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    sweet

i would tell the mint to double the price of the platinum eagles and guarantee them to be mintages of only 3500

but no guarantee of ms/proof 70 at pcgs image
  • Way to make an entrance coasterfan image

there's a bunch here hanging on the edge of their seat for info on these coins
    including me.
    glad you posted it
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Here's a Big FatMan Welcome to Ya!image
  • xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    Welcome and thanks much for the info. I have limited my spending of late in anticipation of getting one of these. Interesting choice of bullion vs. uncirculated. I know I don't want proof anyway. I like the bison design non-proof as it looks closer to the original nickels.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • JDelageJDelage Posts: 724 ✭✭

<< <i>Welcome and thanks much for the info. I have limited my spending of late in anticipation of getting one of these. Interesting choice of bullion vs. uncirculated. I know I don't want proof anyway. I like the bison design non-proof as it looks closer to the original nickels. >>

Is there some kind of rendition of the coin's design online anywhere?
    "The greatest productive force is human selfishness."
    Robert A. Heinlein

• << <i>
    Proof 1 oz $800-$825
    >>

Yikes. image
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,439 ✭✭✭
    Im in for both the buff and the plat.

I agree with Michael, double the prices and decrease the mintages !
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

$150 above spot for an uncirc sucks.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$150 above spot for an uncirc sucks. >>

I'm guessing that that will be for a special finish coin, probably the "satin finish" from sandblast dies like they used on the 2005 Mint Sets. The bullion coins will probably have a shiny finish.
    Tom D.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So will there be a three-piece buffalo set? No reverse mirror buffalo? I'm disappointed.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • OMG, I'm famous image. Coin World used my information for their March 27 front page article. If you subscribe to the online edition, check it out!

Thank you all for the warm welcomes.
  • Does anybody know yet if this is a one year only issue? That means all the difference..........
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

so I hope you answer the Mint by saying your not interested, the price is to high and you don't know anybody who would buy these. image

• INXSINXS Posts: 1,202
    Sometimes I think the Mint knows exactly what they are doing when it comes to marketing. They put out enough info just to get everyone's interest. In this case this 24KT Buffalo will be a sell out at any price.The other one which we havent heard much about are the 3 finish Eagle set, this will also sell out simply because of what happened with the 95-W from that special set. Both of these will sellout in a matter of days IMO.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sometimes I think the Mint knows exactly what they are doing when it comes to marketing. They put out enough info just to get everyone's interest. In this case this 24KT Buffalo will be a sell out at any price.The other one which we havent heard much about are the 3 finish Eagle set, this will also sell out simply because of what happened with the 95-W from that special set. Both of these will sellout in a matter of days IMO. >>

I'm not going to predict a '1995-W' coin, but I think we might end up with some pretty good products, as long as the Mint doesn't get to greedy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file