Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Name me 3 marketmakers for the classic classic - the 1913 liberty nickel

first the prize -> a PCGS graded MS65 dollar at least 25 years old (actually a 1980-P SBA$ with less than 700 graded finer)

second how to win -> have a post to this thread that makes me laugh the most (before Monday 3/13 at 3am pst when I get off of work)

third once you win -> I will get your address and mail the coin to you and you can do whatever you want to do with the coin ( frame and hang on wall, crack it out and spend it, sell it, give it away, use as a clay pigeon and target practice.....)

this coin is a bottom 5% for the grade (as that is what I always end up with) and worth probably 3-5 times face

PARODY - MAKE ME LAUGH

COIN COLLECTORS / DEALERS ANSWER ME THIS

There are many people who feel a famous collector in the 1920's commissioned forgerys to add to his collection (including the 5 1913 Liberty nickels and the sheet of upside down Jennjy stamps...contemporary moderns) sooo

Name three major dealers who are major market makers in 1913 Liberty nickels.

My defination of a major marketmaker is someone who creates a close spread and buys as well as sells.

I do NOT believe there is a secondary market for 1913 Liberty nickels. I know of no dealer who aggressively will buy them like a Morgan Dollar or any Type coin. Show me I am wrong!

Tell me who buys more than one or two coins in this area! I'd like to know where someone can go after they buy a coin to get within 10-20% of what they paid.

Please don't respond with dealers who you think are market makers. I want to hear of actual dealers who stock an inventory of the stuff and will buy them like rare coins not just on an as needed basis.

Fire away!

Name me dealers willing to pay 60 million times face for 1913 Liberty nickels

imageName three major dealers who are major market makers in 1913 Liberty nickels. or other funny post

Comments

• Options
    Modern Crapimage
  • Options
    Your icon was originally AT'd by eBay seller "gototoningcoins". However, I cannot prove it because gototoning's image was taken down before I could save it.

However, you should apologize anyway, and start a 300 post thread to discuss.
  • Options
    I accidently farted on my coins and toned them green-Blue, They look awesome!
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374

......Larry........image
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    I know a guy who sent in 8 morgans with his free platinum membership submssions. All 8 came back body bagged.
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    George Bush is Presidentimage
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    Howard Dean is President of the DNC! imageimageimage
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    I'm not sure if you are just looking for a generic laugh but the contest rules are a bit of a head scratcher.
    So here's another head-scratcher from Engrish.com (which showcases the way Japanese products misunderstand English). It's a paper-towel package...
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    This one always makes me laugh.

If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

-Jack Handy
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    Police were called out to a confusing 911 call to find a man wrapped up in phone cord on his living room floor, completely nekkid. After securing the scene and getting the mans statement of events that led to this situation it was determined he had been on the phone with a 1-900 number and got a little too carried away with his fun, only realizing it when he was no longer able to move and efforts to release himself only made the cords more secure. The funniest part, he couldnt get the phone hung up and was charged for a 6 hour call.
  • Options
    An old man goes to the doctor for his yearly physical, his wife tagging along. When the doctor enters the examination room, he tells the old man, "I need a urine sample, a stool sample and a sperm sample."

The old man, being hard of hearing, looks at his wife and yells: "WHAT?"

"What did he say? What's he want?"

His wife yells back, "He needs your underwear."
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    here's a stolen photo

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sinin:

Here goes (you better sit down!):

Max Mehl is the first and still the most famous marketmaker. Rumor has it that he is still making a market in them. I was at a yard sale just this past week and the owner asked me if this fellow from Texas is still buying the 1913 nickel. He showed me the old Max Mehl publication that he had on the table as an example of what coins to look for and buy!!!!!!!!!

Stacks! They are definitely a marketmaker. If it were not for them we would not have such exciting news about the missing 1913 nickel that surfaced in Baltimore a year or so ago! Ok, so what if they told the owner that they did not think it was real? At least they did not break the market!

Legend Numismatics. Laura has said it many times. She has bought and sold the 1913 nickel. She will probably even consent to having her picture taken with your 1913 nickel as a free bonus!!! imageimageimage
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    JohnsCoinsJohnsCoins Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    3 men were riding their horses at a dude ranch, A Texan, a man from Massachusetts and a guy from Maine. The man from Texas pulls a bottle of whiskey out of his saddle bag, takes a big drink, throws the bottle in the air and shoots it out of the air. When asked why, he said we have lots of whiskey in Texas and glass is cheap. A little later the guy from Mass, not wanting to be out done, pulls a bottle of champange from his saddle bag, takes a big drink, throws the bottle in the air and shoots it. He then says, we have lots of champange in Mass and glass is also cheap. The guy from Maine then pulls a bottle of beer from his saddle bay, drinks it then puts the bottle back in his saddle bag. He then draws his gun and shoots the guy form Mass. The guy from Texas stops and asks what the heck did he do that for. The Mainer said the bottle is worth 5 cents and we have lots people there from Mass.

No offense intended on anyone from MA.
  • Options
    amercoinamercoin Posts: 350 ✭✭
    At one time one man bought the 1913 V ,1894-s dime and 1804 dollar with the pennys he sold.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    what is a classic classic coin??

the standard defination of a classic coin is pre 1830 the open collar era

and you always skew the example of a muli million dollar coin

usually coins well 99.99999% of the time are priced 25k or lessimage

and then you get your answer with the 1913 lib nick more market makers then you could ever imagine

bad example drawing at straws

dont hate the plastic ms/pf 69/70 modern game only the plastic ms/pf 69/70 modern players who sell to the less informed
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    please pm laura and send her that ms65 morgan dollar

and please have some intergrity and responsibility and keep your word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Johnscoins:

Uh, hate to burst your bubble but the guy from Maine has been getting cheated on his deposit returns. Maine is 10c not 5c.image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

<< <i>here's a stolen photo

image >>

Just think how many nice moderns could be bought with the POS.
    There's only One
  • Options
    NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    "please pm laura and send her that ms65 morgan dollar,and please have some intergrity and responsibility and keep your word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey mikey, he never said it was a "Morgan" dollar.

Jim
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is not a reasonable direction to go given the rarity of this coin. This thread needs to end here and now.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>George Bush is Presidentimage >>

better yet....

John Kerry nearly was!!!image
  • Options
    Rare coins such as the 1913 Nickel, 1804 Dollar, etc. create their own market. You can not have "Market Makers" when their is no supply. There are probably a half dozen dealers who would buy these coins in a heart beat. Most go the auction route because they are so thinly traded that it's hard to put a price on them.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    N'dugu's Coins will buy it. They will buy all FIVE if offered.

Just send for immediate check.

They are Nigeria's leading coin dealer.
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    As with any other modern coin, major market makers are not required and/or even desired.

If in fact someone had a 1913 Liberty Nickel (which according to the US MInt doesn't exist) all that person would have to do is look up its value on PCGS.com (why they list prices for a coin that doesn't exist I'll never know) and then use that information to decide on a reasonable opening bid on eBay. EBay is definitely one of the best venues for determining a modern coins true value.

Make sure you indicate in the auction that insurance is required and also tack on enough postage so that you pay for all your expenses and time to package the coin and drive it to the Post Office and then stand in line and then the time it will take to educate the clerk that you are not mailing money etc, etc.

Also put in the auction that there are no returns!!! Otherwise some yahoo will buy it and argue with you whether it is PR this or PR that and who has time for that!

Now go make your own market for non-existent nickels!!!

Joe. image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

dont hate the plastic ms/pf 69/70 modern game only the plastic ms/pf 69/70 modern players who sell to the less informed >>

If this is a complete sentence then it's bad advice. I suppose we should also hate Legend since so many of her clients are less knowledgeable than she.

As with most of Michael's rants it's very difficult to know exactly what he's trying to say but they seem to almost all insult modern coins and collectors. Fortunately he lifted the bash in his sig line from someone who speaks the English language. It would be fun to see what he could come up with if he wrote his own.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    I came to this party a bit late- I was at a little local show, having funimage, but did Laura win the prizeimage
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    requiring that one have a 1913 nickel in stock is ludicrous. But active buyers looking for one of these at any time:

Ed Lee
    Heritage
    Spectrum
    Kagin
    Legend
    Superior
    Stacks
    National Gold Exchange
    Bowers and Merena
    ANR
    US Coins
    Delaware Valley
    David Lawrence
    Rare Coin Alliance
    Jay Parrino

Just to name a 15. The next 20 biggest US dealers would be right behind them. While not all would pay top top dollar (only 1 or 2 ever pay top dollar for ANY coin), they would pay strong. The dealer would had one of these offered to him at a buyable price would probably be foolish to let it get away.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    I don't always agree with Laura, but she should win your little prize...hands down.

The 1913 "V" nickel doesn't need any marketmakers in the sense your framing it.
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nevermind.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    hey, the contest still going for another day

I am sure Littleton Coin would be interested as well (if it met their quality standards)

but to say a classic coin does not need a marketmaker because the demand is there

and assuming that top pop moderns do not have a demand is rather hypocritical

top contenders for prize so far are Laura's a LEGEND and the post about Max Mehl still looking

• Options
    Can't believe nobody mentioned Blue Moon.

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    THE market maker for these fantasy pieces was B. Max Mehl. Even if he never sold one. image
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    Boyohboyohboy, I wish I had "real" coins - even one. Maybe then I could be a "real" collector.

Dare to dream - one day!
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I'm in the very early planning stage for a trip to China in 2008. There I hope to meet market-makers in all sorts of rare American Coins. I'm willing to bet I could easily meet 3 market makers in the ultra rare 1913 nickel in less than 33 minutes. In fact I may expose the myth that only 5 of those Coins exist.

If you would like me to act as your agent in acquiring one of these Coins - send me a want-list in early 2008. To ease your concerns, I will not accept any 1913 that is not graded by the HLBNGC ( Happy Laughing Buddha Numismatic Grading Corporation).image
  • Options
    I have decided on 2 winners

Oreville for his thread on Max Mehl and
    Full Strike for his plan for a search in China (bring me back some please)

I must also mention a couple for honorable mention

Michael for his rant that brings back memories of DOOPS and
    Laura for her never ending consistent superiority over people who touch coins less than 70 years old

keep it up - this place sure can be funny at times
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Three market makers in the 1913 5c:

Spectrum
    John Albanese
    Rare Coin Wholesalers
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a definition of "marketmaker" that is in line with what I believe one to be:

The marketmaker is a dealer who stands ready to buy and sell, posting prices and effectively creating the continuous secondary market with the help of brokers who link the dispersed market investors. So a secondary market creates liquidity as marketmakers allow investors to on-sell financial assets for cash with speed and at the going market price. Marketmakers trade on behalf of clients and on their own accounts.

What are those 15 dealers' buy and sell prices? Have they posted them and I missed it? How fast can you buy and sell a 1913 Liberty Nickel? What's bid or ask on one?

There are only three potential 1913 Liberty Nickels out there to buy or sell.
    Doug
  • Options
    <<nice moderns>>

Jumbo Shrimp
    Military Intelligence
    Pretty Ugly

???
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Have they posted them and I missed it? >>

Bowers and Merena posted a $1M bid on the missing one.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> Have they posted them and I missed it? >>

Bowers and Merena posted a $1M bid on the missing one. >>

Yes, and right before the missing one was "found" after not being seen for what was it 40 years? There was much speculation about whether B&M knew of the found piece before anyone else did. Funny, this sounds a lot like the original marketing of the 1913 Liberty nickels doesn't it.

Doug
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A coin this rare and expensive will generally be sold at auction, or privately to one of the people or businesses previously mentioned in this thread. Any prospective buyer will NOT want to reveal how much he/she will pay for one for competitive reasons. With only 5 total coins, many times there will not be one or more on the market, plus the coin will likely go to auction, so there won't be any published selling prices either. This explains the lack of published buying and selling prices, not the absence of marketmakers. The last one sold for $4 million or so. Believe me, if the next one is offered at $3 million, there will be 20 people clamoring to buy it IMO.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file