Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Essentially, I'm a numismatic failure.

Yes, it's true. I'll never amount to anything at all in the numismatic community. I'd be seriously deluding myself if I even attempted to claim I was of any significance.

Just recently, a question was posed of me: "What do you collect ( & have you any complete sets )?"

The answer to this is that I've never completed a set of anything in my whole life. Not even the most mundane of all sets imaginable: Lincoln cents. I never even got close: no 1909-S VDB, no 1922, no 1955-S DDO, and the list goes on. I did have some BU keys, but once again, no cigar.

I tried to gather a meager type set of British Commonwealth coins, but the more I got, the more I realized how foolish I was to even attempt such an impossibility.

I've tried to accumulate some semblance of a collection of Polish coins, but again, a futile maneuver; nobody in history, not even the great Polish kings and magnates, were ever able to finish that challenge.

I'm a numismatic failure. I don't even know what I'm doing here. I'm not fit to lick the boots of all you Darkside experts.

imageimageimage
.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Comments

• You could try collecting ZAR silver - it's actually harder then you think completing this set in high grades.

Believe me - I'm trying hard. image)
  • Join the club, 1jester! image
    Severo, a Numismatically Disturbed Individual
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Join the club, 1jester! image >>

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I don't think I have ever finished a set either. Thanks for making me feel so good about myself this fine Monday Jester!image

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I'll never amount to anything at all in the numismatic community.

I disagree... your posts are the ones that got me into participating on this forum... your posts which taught me more about a general range of coins than anyone else... your lively and informed responses to others posts that kept me chuckling and coming back.

Do not measure your success or failure by what you collected or how you collected but how you interacted with other numismatists concerning what you/they collected. Besides, I don't want to use the past tense-there's still plenty of life left in your numismatic future. image

And... I find date/mint sets essentially boring-I much prefer the type coins from everywhere which you presented to us.

ed for spelling
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Hey if your having fun there is no way you can be a failure. I am never going to complete a set of post 1900 world circulating coins but that doesn't mean I'm not having fun trying. As Laurent said I enjoy reading your posts so"Keep on Keeping on"

Mark
  • I agree ^
    I
    I
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    A wise man once said "There is no right or wrong in collecting, as long as you are collecting what you like". image I can't remember most of my other sayings image
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A wise man once said "There is no right or wrong in collecting, as long as you are collecting what you like". image I can't remember most of my other sayings image >>

Was that your saying or the wise man's danglen? image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

image There's a lot more of us out there than you think image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382

<< <i>

image There's a lot more of us out there than you think image >>

Let me also be on the listimage
  • Geez dude try collecting every single Conder tokenimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Don't be a failure all your life old friend. I have the perfect solution for you.

Collect examples of every coin issued by the Meng Chaing Bank, organized by the Japanese occupation forces in the Mongolian Borderline area of North China from late December, 1937, to the end of WW II in August, 1945.

Here are pictures of my 100% complete collection image:

imageimage

Obverse ---- 5 Chiao - 1938 --- Reverse

(size difference is my lousy photo editing skills, not the coin's fault image )
    Roy

• secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I've tried to accumulate some semblance of a collection of Polish coins, but again, a futile maneuver; nobody in history, not even the great Polish kings and magnates, were ever able to finish that challenge. >>

Collecting "Poland - all" is a recipe for disappointment, unless you have huge amounts of money and patience. I don't even try. In fact, even in my little area-of-an-area, I sub-sub specialize.

Just a fancy way of saying, collect what you want. If you find yourself getting burned out by it, by all means sell your stuff or focus on something else or just move on. At the end of the day, this is a hobby that we do for fun. image
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭
    I think this calls for an "I'm a failure at coin collecting" giveaway!! image
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jester, send me your foreign dreck and you'll have a ..complete.. collection of "nothing."

• theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Why attribute success or failure to something you enjoy. Ego has warped your consepts me thinksimage
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its better to have failed instead of never trying. Now that this is over move on to another futile adventure....image

Ken
    Look Jester, I hate to use the big stick, but it's my birthday (57image) and what I want for my birthday is that a sense of well-being and satisfaction infuse you and transform you. Now, are you going to turn me down?

If this is relevant, this morning I had 7 shipments of books going out to eBay customers and as I started the process of printing invoices from the paypal site the system went down. Pages I needed to see weren't available (eBay messages their problem) and I began frothing and foaming at the mouth. I found my mouse selecting PCGS and was whisked to your post. As I read it I found the tone of your missive so despairing that I found my own concerns were inconsequential. The rest of the day went a whole lot better and I have you (I believe) to thank for it.image

You know, as well as I do, that everything happens for a reason.image

<< <i>Its better to have failed instead of never trying. Now that this is over move on to another futile adventure....image

Ken >>

You're right. How about old Fords? image

DBSTrader, I think you've hit upon something! image

Laurent, thanks for the kind words!! You're a great man.

Cosmic, I love Conders! That's the problem.

Satootoko has a brilliant idea!

Topstuf, how about a trade of all my dreck for yours? image Somehow I think I could come to like mountains of bullion. image

All, I feel grateful to be a part of such a distinguished group of failures. image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

<< <i>Look Jester, I hate to use the big stick, but it's my birthday (57image) and what I want for my birthday is that a sense of well-being and satisfaction infuse you and transform you. Now, are you going to turn me down?

If this is relevant, this morning I had 7 shipments of books going out to eBay customers and as I started the process of printing invoices from the paypal site the system went down. Pages I needed to see weren't available (eBay messages their problem) and I began frothing and foaming at the mouth. I found my mouse selecting PCGS and was whisked to your post. As I read it I found the tone of your missive so despairing that I found my own concerns were inconsequential. The rest of the day went a whole lot better and I have you (I believe) to thank for it.image

You know, as well as I do, that everything happens for a reason.image >>

Happy Birthday, young man!!!! image You know, you are one of the truly bright spots in this Dark world. I'm glad to have been able to help make a better day for you, and likewise your first post improved my mood too.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Laurent. You're a pisces like my brother. image

Jester, good luck with your sales and enjoy your fresh new start, armed with all the knowledge you have acquired so far.

Eitherway, I take your essential presence here as a given. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Its better to have failed instead of never trying. Now that this is over move on to another futile adventure....image

Ken >>

<< <i>You're right. How about old Fords? image >>

Take it from me DO NOT DO THAT ! They are never finished....image Failure beckons before you start.... Its been 15 years since I bought mine and parts are still being hunted down. If you had 2 or 3 of those Old Fords it would be a nightmare. Pick something easy.....Stamps ?

Ken

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1jester:

Have fun collecting... and it is not always about the completeness of what is assembled, but what is learned and shared in undertaking the challenge...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    I have a complete set of lightside PCGS proof Roosevelt dimes, and its was in the top 7 of the registry sets for awhile. But the same coin over and over got old, so now I am mostly Darkside and I am getting focused.
  • GDJMSPGDJMSP Posts: 799

<< <i>

Just recently, a question was posed of me: "What do you collect ( & have you any complete sets )?"

The answer to this is that I've never completed a set of anything in my whole life.

imageimageimage >>

I'm delighted to see that I'm in such good company jester image
    knowledge ........ share it
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    If I were to complete my sets, I would have a hollow feeling. Where do you go from there?

Of course, I'll never have to worry about that problem, even for one denomination.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a complete set of lightside PCGS proof Roosevelt dimes, and its was in the top 7 of the registry sets for awhile. But the same coin over and over got old, so now I am mostly Darkside and I am getting focused.

It is great to read that getting focused can mean different things... It may not be about completing anything, but being focused can mean developing the ability to recognize and buy quality and rarity when the opportunity arises...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The answer to this is that I've never completed a set of anything in my whole life.

Same here. I came close with circ Peace Dollars and Jefferson Nickels. I was a pre-teen at the time. Since then, it has been straight downhill.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I began as a success but have been fast sliding down hill. My first set started in 1957
    was eventually completed but I've not come close since. Probably staying away from
    things like clad quarter varieties and merchant tokens would help but then I'd have to
    worry about what to collect next. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    Is a set EVER really finished? Will they make a Sacagawea in MS70? (Pop 3)
    They did this year....so No........I don't believe a set is ever really finished.
    You just run out of patience or money or both. And a top Pop is always around the corner
    if you keep trying.

Jest I too have yet to complete a set, yet many are complete............if you get my drift.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To each his own.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The answer to this is that I've never completed a set of anything in my whole life. >>

Now you tell me. I'm not even saving for an UNA.image

Whatever will I do?imageimageimage
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first instinct was to say "Thank goodness I'm normal"...

then I realized what group I was comparing myself to imageimageimage.

TTT and happy birthday, Laurent!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy b-day, Laurent!

And Jester - sounds like you have a pretty interesting and robust numismatic life, so who cares about a complete set of anything compared to that?
  • BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Jester, I never knew you were a numismatic failure before now. Please leave and never come back.

Happy Birthday, Laurent.

<< <i>Jester, I never knew you were a numismatic failure before now. Please leave and never come back.

Happy Birthday, Laurent. >>

Yes, I'm sorry you have to share the same bandwidth as me...image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Jester, I never knew you were a numismatic failure before now. Please leave and never come back.

Happy Birthday, Laurent. >>

Yes, I'm sorry you have to share the same bandwidth as me...image

imageimageimage >>

I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it.image
  • DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    Set? what's a set? image
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Coin collecting can be summed up as an act of futility.

Jester, I think both you and I have come to that realization at around the same point in time, only it took me longer to figure it out than you. image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
    Why thank you gents.image

Jesters a puzzle,
    a wit beyond reason
    whose melancholy mood
    doesn't jibe with the season.

Spring is renewal,
    not a time to reflect
    on misbegotten purchases
    and unfinished sets.

So cheer up my lad
    'cause the best is to come
    as we race to completion
    twixt moon and the sun.

• razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    Jester,

Regrettably, I'm too new on this site to know you. I've enjoyed reading all of these reassurances to you, though. I hate to tell you, but I think you've failed at failing. Or, at least, your failing is incomplete. Oh, and thanks for posting the Scripture, too, I love that.

I'll add a happy birthday to Laurent, whom I also don't know, but enjoyed the spirit of his posts.

Oh, yes, and about incomplete sets and things

raz

Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I long ago gave up on being the richest, smartest, best looking, etc.

That's what the Holey Coin Vest schtick is all about. If you can't be the best or brightest, and least you can be the goofiest. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> If you can't be the best or brightest, and least you can be the goofiest. >>

imageimageimageimageimage

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

<< <i>If you can't be the best or brightest, and least you can be the goofiest. image >>

I did that without any effort at all!image

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    I think Jester and Wybrit have it right. There is really little purpose in paying huge sums of money for little discs of metal, unless ones goal is to make more money. When you die it means nothing at all.

Solomon said:
    "Vanity of vanities; all is vanity. What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun? One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh."

That applies to collecting coins as well as anything else. We gather coins together all our lives only to have them sold and seperated after we die

Having said that, I still do it. I get pleasure (if vain pleasure) in owning artifacts from the past.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Yes I think there is much more fun to be had in the journey of collecting than in trying in vain to really ever think you will complete a collection. I think that enjoying a collection and the assembling of it takes precedence over anyone elses' ideas about a collection's 'completeness'.

I have never finished a collection in my life, and have no intention of ever doing so. Considering my collections focus on Russian Empirical issues (all coins pre-1918), I would have to be high to think I will ever finish it, even with a lotto win. I really enjoy adding to the collection though, and especially when I can find rare pieces or get a lot of coins at a bargain to fill several holes at once.

My daughter's birthyear collection (2003) is a fun collection and if there is any collection I would like to see complete, it is that one. That is only because I would like to have something personal and nice to give to her on maybe her 21st birthday.

And think about it: if completeness was the only benchmark of success as a collector, my coin club would not exist because I don't think any one of the members has a complete set. We do have a lot of fun giving presentations on the things we find interesting and giving other people a little knowledge and inspiration to explore the world of collecting.

Just my thoughts.

Nick
    Great post Nick!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • No way, 1Jester. Your posts have illuminated many lives, bringing people wisdom and (yes) strength. My own life included.

Thank you,

Just Having Fun!
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock