Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Someone is going to Steal my 72 set! Auction ends Today!

After watching others consign sets to auction, I finally took the plunge and consigned my 68, 72 and 74 fully graded sets to the Memory Lane auction. I haven't seen the catalog yet, but I think they did a nice job with the online advertising. Whoever buys my 72 set will be super happy. The 9s in the set are the best of the best. They are a compilation of the best 9s I bought from Andy Montero, Jim Vitale, Frank Bakka, Dave Read and other long time 72 collectors. In most cases I had 3 or more of each card and chose to keep the best for my set. The stars listed on the website are just a glimpse of the perfect centering and sharp corners. The set also includes a number of tough variations including both large and small print versions of checklist 251 in PSA 9 and a green letter variation of card 45 Glenn Beckert also in PSA 9. The set includes a PSA 10 of Rollie Fingers, a 1 of 2, not even included in Frank Bakka's great set.

My 68 and 74 sets are great as well and include lots of low pop 9s.

If you would like to view the sets, you can do so by clicking on the following links:

1968 Set

1972 Set

1974 Set
View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store

Comments

• lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Dave,

Good luck......image

Jami
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    Very nice! I hope you do well.

Bob C.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Go Dave Go!

Hope that '72 set's ending price goes through the roof! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Good luck with the sets. The '72 and '74 look great!
  • BarkusDBarkusD Posts: 624
    I am banking on Memory Lane drawing the buyers. The opening bid prices are a fraction of what I have in each set.
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I looked at the 68 auction last nite and after I checked my $ to make sure I just went to bid. No bidding, they didn't start yet. I hope I still have money in a week!
    The 68 set is starting at less than 25% of SMR. Considering I have lots of low pop 9s in that set and very nice stars, I still can't believe it. I'm sure it will get a lot of bids. It took me a while to find a well centered Ryan for the set.
  • TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    David,

In looking at you 68 set, there appears to be an error. Card #110 (Aaron) is shown in one scan as a PSA 9 and the other scan its an 8, while its listed twice on the auction page as an PSA 8.
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
    You are correct. I will notify Memory Lane.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Good luck on the sales Dave!
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck on those sales.
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Nice Stuff indeed.
    Good Luck!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • I can honestly say that David has some truly mind numbing PSA 9's in his 72 set.....many could be 10's by PSA 's current grading standard.

Good luck.
    Whoever said we wash away with the rain ?
  • jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    Do you think you will get more out of each set selling complete vs. individual cards?
    That is certainly my hope or I would have broken up the sets and sold the cards individually on my website. I think having complete sets o the quality of mine adds value.
  • jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    That is what I thought, and it will save you a lot of time.
  • DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Dave,

Forgive me if this is inappropriate, but why would you want to sell your three best sets?

If you need the money and this is the only way then pls ignore my question.

People are different and I am not trying to put my values on you but I think I would sell my living room furniture or get a second job or do almost anything before I sold my best sets that I had put incredible work into.

Jim
  • Jim,
    I know where you are coming from. It was a very tough decision, especially with respect to the 72 set because I don't think there is much of a chance that I could ever recreate it in such high grade. I still think about all the PSA 9s in that set and the hours I spent comparing my many duplicates to make sure that I only included top examples of each card in the set. Guys on the board can tell you how many of each of the low pops I bought to make sure that I had a perfectly centered example of each.

My problem is that I can never decide what I want to collect and I don't have the funds to buy everything that I like. My hope is that I will sell these sets at a profit and the extra cash will enable me to buy more cards. I would really like to finish my 60 topps and 33 goudey sets.

I have the same philosophy with cards on my website. There are cards that I have sold or traded (especially some high grade 33 Goudeys) that still stick with me, but then I find new cards that make me happy.

Right now I have 2 cards that I would hate to sell more than any others, but I have them on my website if I can get the right price. The cards are my 33 Goudey Tris Speaker in PSA 8, which is gorgeous, and my 1967 PSA 10 Eddie Matthews. I love both cards because I have never seen a better example of either one.

One day I hope to duplicate your quest for completed sets, but for now, I am happy knowing that at least for a time I have owned so many of these wonderful cards.

I hope that my explanation makes sense.

David
    Thank you Dave.

It must be difficult parting with such great cards.

I wish you the best.

Jim
  • So far the bids are:

1968- $11,484 only 81% of SMR
    1972-$15,500 only 43% of SMR
    1974-$3,897 only 58% of SMR

I can't believe how low the bids are. I guess people are waiting until the auctions get closer to the end to put in their bids. The 72 set especially puzzles me. There is super strong demand for 72s on ebay and the breakup fee for my set, given the number of low pops and high end examples, is at least SMR. There are a lot of "$10 common" in that set that routinely sell (when you can find them) for $200+.
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Don't worry. The bidding on these auction items always seems to come the last day.
  • I think Memory Lane had some problem mailing out catalogs. I didn't receive my catalog until today. Maybe that's why the bidding is still so low. Good luck.
  • I still haven't got mine. I did get a copy with my latest issue of SCD though. image

Scott

P.S.- Very nice sets indeed!
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    If I sold my living room furniture, I might possibly get a 74 Winfield PSA 8.

Best of luck Dave !!

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Got my catalogue today. I spent a good amount in their last auction, too! image
    Wondo

• WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If I sold my living room furniture, I might possibly get a 74 Winfield PSA 8. >>

LOL, that's true with me too. I have a sectional that I think I paid about $100 for and a glass coffee table that I think somebody gave me for free, I don't remember paying for it.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    FWIW my catalouge came today.

Steve
    Good for you.

<< <i>So far the bids are:

1968- $11,484 only 81% of SMR
    1972-$15,500 only 43% of SMR
    1974-$3,897 only 58% of SMR >>

Whoa - that's pretty darn good by current Ebay standards. 70's cards don't ever come anywhere near the SMR (except a few exceptions, and I sell them all the time. 1974's are among the softest). To get 81% of SMR for a 1968 set is amazing as well...you can't give PSA 9 commons from this set away for anything more than $15 a piece.

And remember, these aren't final bids yet. I'd take the above money and run.
  • marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    David...

Wow....my catalog arrived today, Saturday March 25, and the auction ends March 30. I would say Memory Lane is cutting it pretty close.

Good luck on your sets.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    The price of the 1968 Topps set is already very high. After vig the set is already at $13,206. SMR for a complete set in PSA 8 is only $12,293. Singles for PSA 8 1968 Topps cards on ebay generally sell for far less than 75% of the SMR, so it looks like there are two bidders who really really want a complete set.
  • kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    It looks like there have been a spike in the bidding for the 1972 Topps set too. With several days to go, it is already at $23,575 after vig.
  • even if they ended now, I think they are solid prices.
  • The 72 set is far below what I am expecting. It was not put together with a bunch of high pop 9s to boost the set rating. There are lots of low pop 9s in there and very high end PSA 9 stars. I am hoping for a sale price of $35,000+. There is no way anyone could duplicate it for less and at this point in time with the number of guys working on sets it would take years to do so. Guys who do not know the set well focus on the high pop cards that sell at a discount to SMR, but when you actually try to build one of these sets you find out that the rarest 100 commons or so are super expensive (especially if they are from a popular team and you have to bid against the team set collectors). In 72 there are also a few star cards that are very low pop (such as the Aaron IA). It books for $70 in PSA 8, but I have never seen one go for less than $200 (and I would be happy to buy as many as I can find at that price).

The 68 set also has a number of very tough cards including some of the leader cards that sell for big premiums to SMR. I don't think the price for the 68 set is high by any means. If you look at some of the 9s I had to buy to finish that set, they sell for $100-$200 if you can find them. I believe that more than 10% of the set is PSA 9 so it should not be compared to a straight 8 set. A number of the top 10 sets in the registry don't even have some of the PSA 9s I have in that set.

I'm sure whoever gets my sets will be very happy. They all have perfect holders with no scratches or cracks (I sent the few cards I bought with slightly scratched holders to PSA for reholdering before I sent the cards to Memory Lane). The cards are also high end examples for the grade. The guys who I have bought from know the care that I have taken to put together high end sets.
  • theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    barkus,
    why didn't you break them up. more work but i think you would have gotten more money if some of the cards are hard to find. much like selling a used car on your own or take the trade in from the dealer. it was great that you were so thoughtful about the scratched card holders but you probably will never get your money back on that in a memory lane auction.
    someone chasing the set doesn't want to buy a bunch of high pops just to get a few low pops.

i hope in the end you get what you think is fair.

<< <i>I am hoping for a sale price of $35,000+ >>

I wish you luck, but I hope you are not disappointed.
  • We'll see what happens. I think there are people who will pay a premium to have top quality sets. This is my first time selling completed sets. I sell a lot of single cards on my website. If I am wrong, in the future I will break up my sets if I decide to sell them.
    I'm high bidder - c'mon - let's give the set its due! image
    Wondo

Oh Oh--with Wondo high bidder I sense a quick flip and a break-up coming. Wondo is proving himself very adept at this.

Jim

<< <i>Oh Oh--with Wondo high bidder I sense a quick flip and a break-up coming. Wondo is proving himself very adept at this.

Jim >>

Jim,,
    I', shocked and appalled! image

The 1972 set is a great set!
    Wondo

Honestly,

this is the set I put together when I was a kid, 11-12. George Mitterwarl or Brunet, I can't remember, was all that kept me from putting together the set from packs.

I would love to own this set!!
    Wondo

• My catalog arrived on March 27!
  • gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    mine too
  • Still no catalog and I have sent them 3 e-mails. What kind of auction house runs a major auction and refuses to send out catalogs? I was verified over the phone by memory lane for bidding, Where's my catalog???? Then again, I received my Huggins and Scott catalog 5 days after the auction ended. Oh Well.
  • hey guys-

talked with rich at memory lane on thurs... he said that NOBODY from ca had gotten their catalog & it seemed to be a state specific problem.
    if you call them tomorrow you can get one sent out to you by thurs... oh yeah, that's closing day, isn't it!
    btw the catalog's not very big but it's quite nice!
  • mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    David> Having built - and sold - the 1972 set, not once, but twice, I feel I do know the set to a reasonable degree. I hope you get what you're expecting, but I would be pretty surprised to see it go much higher than it is. While there are undoubtedly a great number of 9s, which include stars/HOFers, the populations have increased to the point where they certainly aren't as hard as they used to be. Not to say there aren't some cards that are darned tough in PSA9, but in most cases it's just a matter of allocating the funds.

I feel duplicating the set (grade and time) may well be easier than you think. Primarily because the dynamics of the set and the market have changed. When I built the set for the second time, I paid $400 for my Schaal IA PSA8. At the time, there were five 8s and no 9s. Now there are 23 8s and 3 9s. While the Schaal IA is still one of the tougher cards, time has shown the Kendall and Houk to be quite a bit tougher. Since I've sold off the set for the second time, the number of 9s and 10s available have increased pretty dramatically - fueled in large part by Dave Read choosing to break his set and then there were large quantities of 9s and 10s coming out of the Wingard/Pekovich vending find. I would also argue that gradeflation has also had an impact. I know Erik Jarvi's set has sat virtually untouched for over two years. I would be very curious to see what would happen if he were to crack his 8s and resubmit them. I wonder how many 9s and 10s would result. Experience has also told me that if you want to upgrade your set, all you have to do is wait - and someone will break theirs up.

In selling off the second set, as a complete set, my experience was that people really don't much care about who assembled the set or the attention paid to each card being high-end-for-grade. In my experience, the overall GPA is all that matters. So you do have that going for you. Knowing the sources for a lot of your 9s, I'm confident they're top-flight. I've just found that people/buyers have generally adopted the attitude that a 9 is a 9 is a 9 - which I do find unfortunate.

Like I said, I hope I'm totally wrong and you exceed the $35k mark. Just my experience doesn't make me hopeful.

As for the 74 set, that's an even tougher go. I know that not that long ago, Gary Nusbaum put up his second set to eBay. It was complete, though I can't seem to recall the GPA. . .but it was listed with an extremely reasonable price and it didn't sell. At least not online anyway.

Good luck with your auctions, and I hope that in the end you're thrilled with the results.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Just got my catalog today. The '72 set is written up nicely and is presented well. Good luck!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • This is JP From Memory Lane. If anyone has not received a catalog as of today please email me personally and I will overnite you one for Wed. If I get an email by 3 o'clock PST you will have it by WED. My email address is Memorylaneinc@aol.com

Thank you in advance for all your support!!
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    people/buyers have generally adopted the attitude that a 9 is a 9 is a 9 - which I do find unfortunate.

I agree.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Got my catalog today at 5:30pm. Not a lot of time to study the auction. Very impressive collections Mr. Barkus. I hope you get everything you expect.
  • You should be thrilled with the 74 set price so far. There is absolutely no way you get anywhere near that price if you sold it via ebay. A handful of 9s(not really any HOFs) with the rest 8s. Unbelievable!! Appears Memory Lane auction is working out well.Cant wait to see the final prices on your sets!!!
    Congrats and good luck.