Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this market slowing down?

seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
Have we hit the top?
I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

• yep
    know what you don't know.

hi, i'm tom.

i do not doctor coins like some who post in here.

• LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I think the number of common coins at auction indicates that the fuel for the market craziness might be running low.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Yes we are at the top. No where to go now. So send me all your coins and I'll suffer the losses instead of you.
    Carl
  • chabot510chabot510 Posts: 1,291
    i personally don't think so. I think this next month will be a good indicator of the market with a few bigger shows.
    Nick
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There appears to be a lack of high quality fresh material to fuel the market ... but when it does show up, the prices realized are still very strong.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Russ.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    : Is this market slowing down?

well it depends

for some coins yes and for othercoins NO WAY IN HELL not even close!!

it all depends

also if the market gets slower a big part will not be because of some coins getting top heavy it wiull be bacause that nothing is coming out and are in strong hands and you cant have a market if you got no good coins to trade

time for not all but many of you professional coin buyers out there to raise your bids and buy prices for the right stuff

you tight with a $$$....................................image
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Possibly image

I hope so in alot of ways, I want to collect some stuff and the prices are making some of that very difficult
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    The housing market is slowing down in many parts of the country. Not directly related to coins but money
    seems to be getting tighter.
  • RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>Have we hit the top? >>

If this is the top, it is a sorry one, with so many coins that are flat to down during this bull run, and gold, silver and copper all having doubled or more in price during the past several years.

Recent thread about many coins that have not gone up in ten or more years. link

The humorous reply is it is a top on stuff that you own, but prices are going to double on the stuff that you want to buy image.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a transition lull. Since grades are no longer going up, prices have got to go up to draw out the coins that need to be drawn out to satisfy demand.
  • Gold and silver haven't topped, so why would coins be topping?
  • I believe it is slowing down for some but not for others. Your rare coins will continue to appreciate. I think Gold and Silver coins will be sought after more so.

Freakimage
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
    I disagree with Russ.image
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with everyone who disagrees. It depends.

• BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Perhaps, for those of you who like to chase the

price of coins you like, restraint might be in order.

No tree ever grows to touch the sky. Be prudent, better

buying prices may lie in the future.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree with CarlWohlforth and ER...and half-disagree with, Russ for that matter.

When I see nice, original XF Dahlonega $5's readily available for under $2000, I will agree that the market is slowing down...and I will buy some. image
  • Dukie101Dukie101 Posts: 1,313
    To most Dealers it's an up market when selling their coins,and a down market when buying your coins.
    Larry
    Early stages of a market slowdown that will pick up steam into April with many dealers forced to sell coins
    in order to pay Uncle Sam their taxes on all the profits they have made over the past year.

Well... someone had to go out on a limb instead of being wishy washy. image
  • Russ you seem to be a favorite on here, so my suggestion to you, GET OFF THE FENCE AND TAKE A STAND! My thoughts on the market, the calm before the storm, hurricane season is only 2 months away, warm weather makes people reach into the pockets for self need.
    Hey Ralphey Boy, I Got Gold Fever!

<< <i>GET OFF THE FENCE AND TAKE A STAND! >>

I did take a stand. I just changed my mind.

Russ, NCNE
  • FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294
    Hold on ... <<shake, shake, shake>> ... wait for it ... hmmmmmm, "IT IS DECIDEDLY SO"
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    No tree ever grows to touch the sky.

I did not know this that you speak of.....
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The percentage of coins that are still in demand has topped.
    All glory is fleeting.

<< <i>Russ you seem to be a favorite on here, so my suggestion to you, GET OFF THE FENCE AND TAKE A STAND! My thoughts on the market, the calm before the storm, hurricane season is only 2 months away, warm weather makes people reach into the pockets for self need. >>

Gas prices might be hitting $3.00 a gallon by May from what I have heard.

There is some self need plus all the price rises associated with that if it comes to pass.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the market was poised for a slow down eight or nine months ago, but then the prices for gold and silver shot up, which give the coin market a big boost. If the metals lose steam, the market will too. The question is now that the (East) Indians and Chinese have a lot more money to spend, the price of gold might continue to increase. From what I’ve seen people from those cultures really like their gold and are ready to keep buying it.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • I cant even agree with myself but I agree with Russ. In so many words he said "The market will do what the market will do". Unseen and unknown factors will intervene and we will find out when it happens.
    "Marc with a C but call me MAX.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a big believer in anecdotal evidence to mark tops and bottoms and there is none.

The fundamentals still look strong even if larger economic trends might cause a slowdown in growth.
    Tempus fugit.
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    The coin market is adjusting a little in my opinion. The key lincolns and other series keys are still jumping up as well as some items like nice circulated Barber Halfs, I also have heard there is a shortage of truly nice early type and copper on the market as well as a strong demand for keys these items are bringing strong prices still.
  • curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    Gee, I sure hope the hobby is slowing. That's always good for the collector (me).
    Every man is a self made man.
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the number of common coins at auction indicates that the fuel for the market craziness might be running low. >>

I'm a bit lost on the logic here. Wouldn't a dearth of high quality coins at auction (assuming one agrees with that assessment) be an indicator of the fact that the market has sucked up everything good like a big Hoover?
  • to coin a phrase... it's a coin picker's market.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's simply a seasonal adjustment to localized irrational exuberance which should correct by implemeting a passage of the timeframe.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Depends on the series.
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    I agree with so & so, and disagree with the other guy. What this equates to is... imageimage
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • HeywoodHeywood Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭
    Agree with " depends on the series"

Some coins seem to be slowing down, while others seem to be picking up.

My other vice- Obsolete $2's are getting scooped up rather quickly.

( Sure sign of a market slow down is when everyone calls the series HOT!!! L@@K!!!!)

A witty saying proves nothing- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe we are in for a change, it will be very selective what continues to advance (some still will very well), others will fall flat and before the years end we will see significant discounting on items as well. Buy the right coins and enjoy collecting them and you dont have much to worry about.

jim
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to the "market slowdown" in pre-1807 US type coins, particularly gold.

What I would really like to see is a "market meltdown" so's I could get the rare types I need at prices I can afford.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only the "right" coins will continue to appreciate from here. And very few people own the right coins, unfortunately.

If one takes the yield curve inversion as gospel, one could predict a slowdown 9-12 months out from here, not sooner. But as already mentioned, with gold and silver still pumping away there is plenty of life left in the right assets. All I can say is I see clear sailing for at least 6-9 months. And at that point, we'll look at things again. As long as gold and silver do well, it will be hard to turn the coin market, even with an economic slowdown (where people are looking to hang tight in metals and commodities).

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

In the past 40 years I've been thru three complete cylces...big bull run to crash.

This is the fourth time around for hrh. I assure you this market is nowhere near mature. If you were really active in 1977-1980, then you know what true market heat is...with everything going up...everything..if it was round it was hot...pure white heat hot. This market is not even close to that...it can get a lot hotter.

If you were there in 1981-82 then you know what a true top and crash looks like...when nobody wants to even look at your coins, let alone price them. Bid would be $1200 on a coin and maybe Kevin Lipton would pay you $300...maybe, if he had a place for it...maybe.

Guys...we're just getting warmed up.

Personally, Van and I are putting a lot of money in top quality coins and taking some big positions for the future.

Am I positive coin prices will continue to rise...no. But I'm placing a pretty big bet that they will.

Buy what you like...have fun...stay healthy and out of debt!

David
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    OUT OF DEBT! I havn't been out of debt

since the day I was born.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been purchasing from the mint for a few years. Like a dummy... I let these Franklins slip by me without a second thought. Now if I want one.... they are practically twice the price just out of the gate.

Call it slowing down, but my wages sure didn't rise that fast.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    This is the fourth time around for hrh. I assure you this market is nowhere near mature. If you were really active in 1977-1980, then you know what true market heat is...with everything going up...everything..if it was round it was hot...pure white heat hot. This market is not even close to that...it can get a lot hotter.

If you were there in 1981-82 then you know what a true top and crash looks like...when nobody wants to even look at your coins, let alone price them. Bid would be $1200 on a coin and maybe Kevin Lipton would pay you $300...maybe, if he had a place for it...maybe.

This all happened in the days before slabbing. There are different
    market forces at work these days. Making a direct comparison of
    the past to the present might not be reliable.

The "top" for then might not be the same for the "top" now.

There are different economic forces in the world now than there
    were back then that can have an effect on the coin market in
    various ways.
  • The market for common coins is in a holding patteren, if they make a run like in 1989 we will see more coins come on the market. In 1989 common ms65 dollars were worth more than ms66 common dollars now. With rare coins it only takes a couple of people that want them to push prices higher. Like David said stay out of debt, the people that leveraged coins in 1989 took a big risk some lost it all.
    Most dealers Grading was new or used when I started & most still didn't get it right.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file