Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade this Morgan

Hi, Everyone.

I bought this coin a few years ago. Would you coinsider this MS-64? I bought it at that grade now, but I'm not sure as I look at it now.

If you haven't noticed, I'm single and miserable and I've got four albums of bitching about it that I would offer as proof.

-- Adam Duritz, of Counting Crows

My Ebay Auctions

Comments

• Options
    Photo is hard to judge re fields but from cheek and neck IMHO it looks 63.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a liner 63/64 to me. Lustre and eye appeal in hand will probably be the deciding factor.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were buying it, or selling it, I would grade it a 63 for the obverse (since we don't see the reverse).
    I think the TPGS would give it a 64 though.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    You need to show us the reverse. The obverse looks like a 64 though.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Problem-free MS63 to me. Might be a VAM-22 (R-5), but I forget if that has a near date. (Leroy doesn't mention that and near dates are common for 98-O.)
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    63 tops

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Here's the reverse:

If you haven't noticed, I'm single and miserable and I've got four albums of bitching about it that I would offer as proof.

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a common date that doesn't mean much until you get to ms66 unless its toned and this one is neither. 63 I would say. But decent enough.
  • Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    Judging from the couple of photos, I am stuck between 63 and 64.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    I just checked the PCGS prices. It's not worth slabbing (~ $45-60, depending on if it's 63 or 64), but I still think it's a damn attractive coin. I think this one'll go into my "don't sell" pile. image

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    It has clash marks on the reverse.
  • Options
    Clash marks---where? Under right wing?
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    I hadn't noticed it before (and it could well have happened while it's been sitting with the rest of my collection in the cardboard holder), but you're right. I see the marks under the wings. Bummer. image

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Billboat:

I can see small marks under both the right *and* left wings. It's not glaring, but I can see them.

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I was looking for the clash marks because I recently bought an 1898-O that had them. Yours are a little different.
  • Options

<< <i>Billboat:

I can see small marks under both the right *and* left wings. It's not glaring, but I can see them. >>

Thanks! Guess my eyes are getting too old--can see something under right wing but that's it.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    I vote 63. Not worth certifying. Still a nice coin though. If it were mine, I might move to a better holder like an airtite or an Intercept holder, 2x2s aren't that great for long term storage of uncirculated mostly white coins.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin, from the image ms63
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Billboat:

I can see small marks under both the right *and* left wings. It's not glaring, but I can see them. >>

Thanks! Guess my eyes are getting too old--can see something under right wing but that's it. >>

I don't think the marks under the left wing are perceptible as marks from the pic, because of the lighting. But looking at the actual coin in hand, when I turn it in the light, I can see the indentations, and can see that they're on the coin, not the plastic. The mark under the right wing is a little more noticable in the pic.

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Looks like a liner 63/64 to me. Lustre and eye appeal in hand will probably be the deciding factor.

I concur!

Cartwheel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file