Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The infamous 314 grader

I sent in two cards that were autographed, and I truly believed that the S&S Game would come back a 7 and the Swell would come back a 8 or 9.

Well, I got the 314 grader.

I'll post the pics when they are received.

Dale

1 31453563 1936 S AND S GAME MELVIN HARDER N/A 5
2 31453564 1989 SWELL 41 MEL HARDER BASEBALL GREATS 7

1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
#15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
#23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired

Comments

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I guess I was lucky. I have heard of this 314 grader and I got my grade on 4 of 5 cards submitted.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    There is no such thing as the "314 grader". PSA has said so and that makes it so.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>There is no such thing as the "314 grader". PSA has said so and that makes it so. >>

And Oswald killed Kennedy because the government says so.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    The "314 grader" was good to me on all but he footbal Supers. i wish PSA would consistently graded these. I have 9's with wrinkles on the back from stamping during production so I send some pack fresh in with wrinkles and get 5's. Makes no sense!
  • Options

<< <i>The "314 grader" was good to me on all but he footbal Supers. i wish PSA would consistently graded these. I have 9's with wrinkles on the back from stamping during production so I send some pack fresh in with wrinkles and get 5's. Makes no sense! >>

Same thing with the super glossies.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    At one time I heard psa had something like 12 graders. Now, it seems like the vast majority of results posted here have started with 314 and, if that identifies a grader, then what the #$% are the other 11 guys doing all day?

If there is a 314 grader, I can see why he's grumpy. He's doing all the work!

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I agree with sDavid....the last few submission I got back all started with 314....the guy needs to go see his union rep if he's doing all the work.....maybe they get paid on number of cards graded!!!image
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the inconsistencies on the older regional and oddball type sets. I suspect it may be due to there not being enough training in that area. There's no way all of these guys can know every issue's quirks and what constitutes a reasonable expectation of NM/MT and MT for every oddball set. They seem exceptionally generous with Kellogg's...not so with some others.

..but I thought the infamous grader was '313'???
  • Options
    I'm fairly new to grading through PSA (only about 6 months). I got a bunch of 1960's baseball that I was sure would grade 7's and maybe an 8. They all came back 5's and 6's. Now I know why - they are all 314's. Thanks for cluing me in.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

This has to be the silliest thread ever.

If you know how to, look at your cards you are considering for submission and give them all a grade. Write it down.
    Put them aside and then look at them a couple of weeks later and give them all a grade again without looking at the 1st grade you gave them.

Then go through them again making sure to measure all centering and checking every edge and corner under magnification.
    If you haven't already weeded out 3 quarters of your original submission, then you just aren't looking closely enough.

PSA has many faults, but fairly consistant grading isn't one of them. Just learn their rules, and you'll do fine no matter who grades them ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Geez Wolfie,

A little grumpy today ... are we?

Next you'll probably say there's no such thing as the Tooth Ferry!

Mike
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    I guess I must be lucky. My last two submission came back starting with 124 and 905. I guess the other graders must work at some point. Or how about this...they look at these post and assign the 314 grader to people who complain about their grades a lot. Now thats a reall conspiracy theroy.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    Just to add my two cents.

I got a 70s, 80's and 1990 topps submission back a few weeks ago. The serial # started with 314. It was, without a doubt, the best submission I have ever had. About 60% 10s on such things as 84 fleer update, 88 topps, 89 topps, 90 topps and the like. Normally, I can expect about 35% 10s on this type of stuff, even though most of it could 10 (or else it is foolish to grade). Grader 314, if there is one, did not seem overly harsh at all.

I get slaughtered sometimes, no matter who the grader. Sometimes, you get a great sub where you get the breaks. If you submit enough, it all seems to even out. But, boy does it sting when those bad grades come in.

B
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    The only time I really got stung bad was an $8 submission of 1964 Topps Giant cards. the grader was way off base but it simply doesn't pay to have the cards regraded. image

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options

<< <i>I guess I must be lucky. My last two submission came back starting with 124 and 905. I guess the other graders must work at some point. Or how about this...they look at these post and assign the 314 grader to people who complain about their grades a lot. Now thats a reall conspiracy theroy. >>

I like it.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Got the cards back today and wondered what you thought?

Dale

1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
    1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
    Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
    #15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
    #23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Got the cards back today and wondered what you thought?

Dale >>

Only based on scan I would say accurate.IMO
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)