Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

What do you think? Pics added.

I bought this off of ebay and got it in the mail today. First off it is not the same coin in the photo. Second, the guy charged $4 for shipping and insurance and sent it first class for .39 cents. Thirdly, it was packaged in a manilla shipping envelope, unlined, and it was stapled to the cardboerd leaving the ovberse to a beating in the mail sorter and handling.

I do not and will not want to be a negative poster to this forum, but I do want advice as to handle this. Do I demand a refund, even if he does not offer one. Do I complain to ebay and paypal for the coin not being the same one pictured, or do I just suck it up and realize that there are a**holes like this on ebay and just go along like nothing happened? I will follow the consensus on this, but I would love to meet this guy face to face and find out why he would be dishonest for a measly $40. image -Dan

Here is the ebay link:

I can not get the link to work for some reason.

Comments

• Firstly, I don't think you should do "nothing". Letting folks get away with that just encourages it to happen again.

But I am not really sure what should be done. I'm not sure ebay can be held accountable, but they should certainly be informed. I'm not much of an expert on the workings of ebay, but there must be some way to draw attention to the matter.

I'm also interested in the views of the pros here.

imageimageNever figure without figures to figure.
  • newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    You should not only demand a refund but report him to eBay for fee avoidance. Send them a scan of the envelope to show how much of the $4 he actually used for postage. They don't take kindly to people who overcharge for shipping to recoup eBay and Paypal fees, because they don't get a cut of that money.
  • Link

I'd at least inform him that he sent the wrong coin to determine his response.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the lousy Ebay pictures and yours, which is better, it appears to me that it is the same coin. The reverse cud on the rim at 7 oclock is what I have based the opinion on. The shipping part is enough to frost anyones A$$ but it is wide spread on Ebay. If the seller does not offer a refund on his coins you might ask and explain why you are unhappy. You could be suprised with his answer and just maybe some of your reasons for being unhappy would help him out next time with his shipping problems.

Bidding on coins with pictures like this one had is a huge gamble in my opinion. You win some and lose some.

Ken
  • I agree - I think it's the same coin (send a PM to Russ sometime about the magic of lighting and creative picture taking).

First thing I would do is try to start a conversation with the seller w/o trying to point the finger and explain that you are unhappy about the coin and the way that it was shipped and that you would like to return it. His response should drive your next move.
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Look at the details on the obverse. The eyes have more detail on his coin (particularly under the eyelid). I have brought it to his attention and he says that it is the same coin. -Dan
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you question him on the shipping he might say he self insures. That is why the package didn't have Postal insurance on it. I would contact him and say you want a refund. It can't hurt to ask.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    I don't believe it is the same coin either. The first 3 on your coin is repunched. I don't see any repunching in the photo. Also, the rim cud on the reverse does not appear in your photo. Strike is fuller on the eBay coin. Look at the crown detail on reverse and the hair detail on obverse. "Railroad rim" on the reverse of your coin from K4 to K6 while rim on the reverse of the eBay coin is obviously downturned. Tone spot near rim at K-8 on obverse in eBay pic. No such spot on your coin.

As for the shipping, it was stated up front and no promise was made of any particular kind of delivery. Package may have been self insured or third party insured through a web service.

However, there are plenty who charge less and offer better packaging/service. Us for one! image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You should not only demand a refund but report him to eBay for fee avoidance. Send them a scan of the envelope to show how much of the $4 he actually used for postage. They don't take kindly to people who overcharge for shipping to recoup eBay and Paypal fees, because they don't get a cut of that money. >>

Is that right? Take a look at this one then! image

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You should not only demand a refund but report him to eBay for fee avoidance. Send them a scan of the envelope to show how much of the $4 he actually used for postage. They don't take kindly to people who overcharge for shipping to recoup eBay and Paypal fees, because they don't get a cut of that money. >>

Is that right? Take a look at this one then! image >>

I think it's a safe bet that one won't last long. image
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears that the shipping charge was stated in the Ebay listing.
    Indicators of problems include unreasonably high shipping charges and "no return" policies.

Ebay link item 8382645061

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

Does it say no returns in the listing?

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I think he has allowed me to send it back for a refund. I hate that I am out the shipping, but I guess it is always a gamble when you buy on ebay. -Dan
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

Not to be a naysayer, but Ebay won't do diddly about this particular scenario. Remember that "Shipping and Handling" includes more than just the postage. Ebay would not interpret $3 handling ($4 - postage - envelope) to be exorbitant or fee avoidance.

You want to see REAL fee avoidance? Take a browse through BIN auctions/store items in the electronics category and sort by lowest price first. There are a zillion auctions with $1 BIN + $49.99 shipping. Ebay does NOTHING about this despite having a policy about it. How do I know? I've reported hundreds, and none are ever shut down.

No, sorry, Ebay isn't going to get concerned about a seller taking $3 for handling, like it or not...
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    My first thought was that the lighting was just different, but on taking a closer look I do not think these are the same coins.

With most coins you can map out the features and compare either a coin and a photo or two photos to see if the coins match. I can not find a single feature match between the eBay photos and the coin you photographed. I find that very unusual for a coin of this type.

imageimage

imageimage
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

<< <i>Remember that "Shipping and Handling" includes more than just the postage >>

I thought this at first also, but the listing says Postage and Insurance. Doesn't mention 'handling'.

Michael,
    I'm impressed.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My first thought was that the lighting was just different, but on taking a closer look I do not think these are the same coins.

With most coins you can map out the features and compare either a coin and a photo or two photos to see if the coins match. I can not find a single feature match between the eBay photos and the coin you photographed. I find that very unusual for a coin of this type.

imageimage

imageimage >>

I could find nothing to match up on the obverse either. It looks like the edge differences is caused by a poor crop attempt. The only thing that I could match is the raised area on the reverse rim. I think if you look very closely you will see it on both coins. Again the sellers pictures are really lousy.

Ken
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Agreed that it is definitely a different coin than pictured. And the manner in which it was sent is certainly annoying.

But using stock photos for loose UNC coins is not an uncommon practice on ebay, and often isn't a terrible thing--not mentioning the use of a stock photo isn't nice. The shipping charge itself isn't outrageous, though it does compound the hurt from the careless packaging.

On the coin itself, I don't think it's really that bad. Even with the disturbances on obverse. From the picture the seller used, which you based your initial decision on, I don't think you were necessarily guaranteed a high-end UNC any different from what you received. The coin in your pictures should be easily resold at $40.

All that said, though, the principle of it all does boil the blood. Then again, this is ebay!