Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Can anyone here afford this Pujols card? BGS 10

Have not figured out how to do links yet. However, the eBay auction # is 8770123093.

Comments

• Options
    This guy must submit a boatload of cards as he seems to get quite a few BGS 10s. I think he recently had a couple of 87 fleer bonds among others.
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    That is incredible ! and disgusting at the same time !

Here is another I thought was kinda high

87 Fleer

• Options
    Its nice to have good friends in high places...
  • Options
    The comment in the description on the 87 Fleer Bonds card, "Get him now...before he skyrockets"!
    When my wife opens the mortgage statement a couple of months from now, she is gonna FLIP!.
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    If that Pujols was submitted to PSA, that card would probably come back a 6. Heck, it might not even get holdered!

This is PROOF POSITIVE that when it comes to getting your cards graded, PSA is the way to go. Nuff said!

By the way, I also think it's disgusting that people throw good money at BGS items. image

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    big hurt

your so stupid you dont even no what your talking about
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    beautiful, drop $30k on a pujols card....

this spring training he tears his acl and has subsequent panic attacks that prevent him from simply picking up a baseball bat.

$30k = mud butt now

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    This card was discussed on the beckett boards a while back. It started out as a 9.5, was submitted for review, and then received the 10 pristine grade. A board member over there witnessed all of this, which is how they knew about it before he listed it. Apparently, this guy submits tons of 9.5's for review at shows, which is how he gets so many 10's.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    $30 k for a card made in 2001, regardless of player is either sheer genius or greedy foolishness.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Unbe--fkn--lievable
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Pff. I'd NEVER buy something like this, but I'd sure sell it in a heart beat.

I love the qote on the card "I'm proud of myself for having a good year, but I don't expect to get so many honors."
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I wonder if these cards ever actually sell? I mean, does the winning bidder actually shell out 30 grand for this card? I bet a lot of these auctions never come to fruition, and if they do, the buyer is not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.
  • Options
    jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
    the leading bidder at this time is quite the Pujols fan. Dropping money on the big guy like it is going out of style.
  • Options
    I now believe they are trying to corner the Pujols market and artificially inflate the price of his cards.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Don't really follow baseball much anymore.

Is Pujols the best player now or something ?

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Pff. I'd NEVER buy something like this, but I'd sure sell it in a heart beat.

I love the qote on the card "I'm proud of myself for having a good year, but I don't expect to get so many honors." >>

I wouldn't spend it either-- but at least this card has a chance to appreciate at some point. Anyone who's paying to get '80's commons graded, for instance (86 Fleer hoops excepted), is literally flushing money down the toilet, since there's NO chance you'll ever recoup the grading fees on those.

The price seems high, but hey--- collect what you can afford. If you've got the money for this card God bless you. Assuming money isn't an object it can't be any dumber than slabbing a mass produced set from the 1980's.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!

I guess I've become too attached to living with a roof over my head.

Oh!...and eating!

Mike
  • Options
    As a footnote, I think this rates right up there with the BGS 10 Marino on the boards.............
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    As mentioned above, the card was a BGS 9.5 that was resubmitted for review over and over again until it got the bump to 10. And while I think that it's crazy to pay that much for it, considering what the SI for Kids Tiger Woods cards Gem Mint sold for, I suppose that this isn't all that crazy.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    It is nucking futs. It is way crazy. Why pay that amount of money when you can get multiple gem mint PRO graded cards for that price. Crazy indeed.
  • Options
    Will Watson - you're looking smarter and smarter!!!

$30k.....when was Pujols elected to the HOF? (Jose Canseco, Frank Thomas, Darryl Strawberry, Albert Belle, Ron Kittle, Don Mattingly, Dale Murphy, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGuire).

Help me out here guys - who else was heading for greatness and ended up missing by a bit?

Pujols is darn good today and no head case, but one injury, or just a little slowing of bat speed.....
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
    Hall of Famers from all 4 sports
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Albert Pujols is my favorite player, and I think he is the best player in the game today, and he is probably headed for "top 10 of all time greatness". - BUT THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!

For one thing, it's absurd that a card can be resubmitted and it get bumped up to a 10. It's also absurd that people are willing to pay that much more for that 10. I would rather have a nine and keep the rest of the money for other cards. ABSURD IT IS!!!

Shane

• Options
    Where were you guys when some guy paid $125,000 for a PSA 10 Tiger Woods Sports Illustrated card?

Gimme 4 of them BGS 10 Pujolses!!

• Options

<< <i>Where were you guys when some guy paid $125,000 for a PSA 10 Tiger Woods Sports Illustrated card?

Gimme 4 of them BGS 10 Pujolses!! >>

DBH, I hadn't even discovered PSA yet. For that matter, I hadn't even begun graduate school yet!!!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>interesting take on the subject >>

'
    That really was a good read over on the Beckett boards, Steve. Thanks for posting the link.

I genuinely feel bad for the guys who wrapped up thousands of dollars in BGS slabs in the last five years, only to see BGS loosen their standards and start passing out 10's like Halloween candy. And I don't want to hear any of that 'the cards come out of the pack in nicer shape nowadays' B.S. The cards were coming out clean 5 and 10 years ago as well, but in 2000 BGS 10's were as scarce as hen's teeth. I think it's fair to presume that Beckett has started dishing out these pristine grades in order to generate more market interest in their card grading, as you'll notice that the 10's really started appearing once the prices for 9.5's came down to the level of PSA 10's.

It's really a shame, and too many collectors who already hold 9.5 slabs are just going to get torched by this development. As if losing 60-80 percent of the purchase price for a box of cards once you bust the box isn't bad enough, now modern guys need to worry about 'third party graders' corrupting the scarcity of their slabbed cards. No wonder so many guys drift off from the hobby and never return.
  • Options
    this card has some problems on the right hand side! looks trimmed to me...

1) right hand edge is off bad
    2) the blue line isn't on par as being straight either...

PSA 9 or EVID TRIM
  • Options
    I don't think the card is trimmed. I think it's a legitimate PSA 10, but I doubt it's worth 10X a PSA 10 as BGS 10.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Yikes - I just read that Beckett thread again. In the scans, a scan is provided of a 2003 Topps Chrome Lebron James RC. I am extremely familiar with this card, as I opened several cases of this product back in 2003, and graded several James RC's with PSA. The one shown as a Pristine 10 image is off center enough that I might not even have sent it in. Or, if I did - I would expect an 8, or a slider 9 at best.

If this isn't enough to make BGS grading questionable, along with this Pujols card and a few others by Mr. "BGSBrad" - then I don't know what is.
  • Options

<< <i>Yikes - I just read that Beckett thread again. In the scans, a scan is provided of a 2003 Topps Chrome Lebron James RC. I am extremely familiar with this card, as I opened several cases of this product back in 2003, and graded several James RC's with PSA. The one shown as a Pristine 10 image is off center enough that I might not even have sent it in. Or, if I did - I would expect an 8, or a slider 9 at best.

If this isn't enough to make BGS grading questionable, along with this Pujols card and a few others by Mr. "BGSBrad" - then I don't know what is. >>

I agree. The scans that the Beckett Forums member posted were absolutely incriminating. My wife doesn't know much about grading but could clearly see the fact that the centering on those BGS 10's were atrocious.

Fascinating read.

Thanks for sharing Steve!
  • Options

<< <i>this card has some problems on the right hand side! looks trimmed to me...

1) right hand edge is off bad
    2) the blue line isn't on par as being straight either...

PSA 9 or EVID TRIM >>

Your lines aren't straight. Look at the left edge-- your line runs into the card. So of course there's going to be space on the right side.

There really isn't any difference between 9's and 10's, but that card would have just as good of a chance of ending up in a PSA 10 holder as any other.
  • Options
    the lines were drawn independant of each other, not a square grid....
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never understood why BGS 9.5's are considered on par w/ PSA 10 and BGS 10's are 10X more expensive. I believe it to be a myth that people have swallowed hook, line, and sinker. Well, I don't believe it. A PSA 10 is as good as it gets, I don't care how "rare" a BGS 10 is.

Shane

• Options
    That's about $28,000 more than I'm willing to pay for that card. Unbelievable.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    From that beckett thread:

I would like to let you Know something abouth Beckett grading. i talk to a GAI Grading service repres. and he say GAI grab the (3) best Grader from BGS.
    So the cream grader are gone from Beckett and they are now working for GAI.

Well that erxplains it!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

I am far from an expert, but...

More than the card being crooked in the sleeve, and hence crooked in the scan...

That is the shortest card I have seen in a BGS holder, both height and width. The crack-outs I have performed almost took a razor blade to get the card out of the sleeve. On this card, it wouldn't be any problem getting a scissors in there to cut it free.

Not that the current card owner is the guilty party....
  • Options
    It looks like a normal heigth and width to me. I've never used anything but scissors to remove cards from beckett's inner sleeve, so they're really not supposed to be that tight. Also, bowman chrome cards are cut smaller than a lot of other modern sets like SPA, SPX, etc.

• Options

<< <i>I don't think the card is trimmed. I think it's a legitimate PSA 10, but I doubt it's worth 10X a PSA 10 as BGS 10. >>

Standing by my original post.
  • Options
    I would like to let you Know something abouth Beckett grading. i talk to a GAI Grading service repres. and he say GAI grab the (3) best Grader from BGS.

I saw that, but beckett's top grader has been there for a long time. I guess any grader they hire is the "best" from whatever grading company he came from? They used to say the same thing about psa, but not too many psa fans have been happy with their grading. I've heard a lot more reports of cards getting graded by gai and then rejected by bgs/bvg or psa than vice versa.
  • Options
    So the cream grader are gone from Beckett and they are now working for GAI.

Cool, so we can all start sending our trimmed cards to GAI.

These sub bumps are nothing new with BGS. I've seen it done many times and have a friend that consistently does it with 50% of the time going in his favor. About a year ago, he purchased a
    1989 OPC Joe Sakic with subs of 9.5 cen/10/10 edges/9.5 surface. He sent the card back with 2 other Sakics that were slabbed 9.5 and a letter explaining that the centering was perfect front and back and showed his measuring numbers. Card came back a 10 (1st one) and he made an $8K profit and is now enjoying his new HD 55 inch TV, new furniture, and appliances. BTW, he did get another Sakic 10 (same scenario) and the 2nd one sold for over $4K.

There are buyers for subgrades like these who like to gamble.
  • Options

<< <i>... About a year ago, he purchased a 1989 OPC Joe Sakic with subs of 9.5 cen/10/10 edges/9.5 surface. He sent the card back with 2 other Sakics that were slabbed 9.5 and a letter explaining that the centering was perfect front and back and showed his measuring numbers. Card came back a 10 (1st one) and he made an $8K profit and is now enjoying his new HD 55 inch TV, new furniture, and appliances. BTW, he did get another Sakic 10 (same scenario) and the 2nd one sold for over $4K.
    >>

Are you sure?
    Isn't the 1989-90 Topps Sakic RC worth more than the OPC Sakic RC?
    Does the body rule the mind?
    or does the mind rule the body?
    I dunno...
  • Options

<< <i>So the cream grader are gone from Beckett and they are now working for GAI.

Cool, so we can all start sending our trimmed cards to GAI.

These sub bumps are nothing new with BGS. I've seen it done many times and have a friend that consistently does it with 50% of the time going in his favor. About a year ago, he purchased a
    1989 OPC Joe Sakic with subs of 9.5 cen/10/10 edges/9.5 surface. He sent the card back with 2 other Sakics that were slabbed 9.5 and a letter explaining that the centering was perfect front and back and showed his measuring numbers. Card came back a 10 (1st one) and he made an $8K profit and is now enjoying his new HD 55 inch TV, new furniture, and appliances. BTW, he did get another Sakic 10 (same scenario) and the 2nd one sold for over $4K.

There are buyers for subgrades like these who like to gamble. >>

Yup. Welcome to the wonderful world of professionally graded cards. image

• Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    I just checked the BGS population report and according to the report and there are no 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan
    RC that have been graded a BGS 10. I'm sure someone out there is "working" on it right now. I'd imagine one will
    show up on ebay in the near future now that BGS had allegedly reduced their grading standards.

As an aside, I wonder how many, if any "key cards" were graded BGS 10 in the old holder, e.g. the holder
    without the subgrades on the front. I wouldn't be surprised if the answer were less than a literally a hand
    full. Seriously, does anyone recall the days were it seemed literally impossible to get a SINGLE subgrade of 10,
    much less an overall grade of BGS 10. I distinctly recall saying to myself that there is no way a card will ever
    receive a grade of BGS 10. I guess this just goes to show that one should never say never.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Back in the old time, the long long ago when BGS was strict- the only 10 I ever saw was a common 1999 Metal football rookie, the ones that were steel and the packs sould be searched with a metal detector. Anyways it was a pack fresh card made of steel and has no corners and the only 10 out of 20 submitted was a common. Beckett once featured an article about a 98 Finest Fred Taylor getting a 10 and how rare it was. I really feel bad for those people who paid the huge premium for the BGS 10s back then.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    I distinctly recall that metal card, which makes me wonder; if the card is round, how can
    it receive ANY subgrade for corners? Does it not stand to reason that you cannot grade
    something that does not exist?

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    I say if you can get a BGS 10; take the money and fart in the wind. If you want to spend money on a BGS 10; then you should just have pandrews kick you in the nuts and call it a day.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I don't care how great a player Pujols is, I just can't see the value of a 5 year old card being that high. Absolutely ridiculous, even more so with all the fishy grade bumping this seller seems to get.

• Options
    So when BGS bumps a card up in grades, it's greed and obvious card doctoring/dealer favoritism, etc on the part of BGS. But when PSA bumps a card up in grade, it's incompetence on the part of PSA?

I just curious how we should argue this in case some BGS fans throw this in our faces. image

• Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Back in the old time, the long long ago when BGS was strict- the only 10 I ever saw was a common 1999 Metal football rookie, the ones that were steel and the packs sould be searched with a metal detector. Anyways it was a pack fresh card made of steel and has no corners and the only 10 out of 20 submitted was a common. Beckett once featured an article about a 98 Finest Fred Taylor getting a 10 and how rare it was. I really feel bad for those people who paid the huge premium for the BGS 10s back then. >>

I remember the story also about the 98 finest Fred Taylor RC getting a 10.....it was like the end all beat all...and how SUPER LUCKY the submitter was. It was as if beckett couldnt believe that they gave it a 10 themself. Then you see on the beckett board thread that someone on a specific day graded 8 or 9 cards in a row as pristine 10's......that right there is PROOF POSITIVE that beckett is no longer as "TOUGH" as they used to be.

Loth