Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Learning Anything?

Just got my login the other day and thought I’d ramble a bit.

I have been a bona fide lurker of this board for about a year now and have enjoyed the experience. I have learned things from all of you by keeping my eyes open and my mouth shut.

Here are some of the things I picked up…

1. Don’t clean your coins, no matter what grit your sandpaper is.
2. Not all grading services are created equally and a PCGS MS70 is not necessarily the same as that grade from NGC, ANACS, or even SMS.
3. Grading companies make mistakes and it is a good thing to be able to grade coins yourself.
4. I heard about the Wisconsin errors (which I bought last year, thanks), the new buffalo nickels, and the gold buffalo that may be coming
out first from on site. Thanks for the heads up.
5. Coin values hinge on what sometimes appear to be microscopic differences!
6. Don’t put coins in PVC holders.
7. An ordinary collector like me can submit coins to PCGS but it is not always worth it to do so.
8. You can really get hosed buying on ebay but it is a good market and a great place to see what a coin is really worth.

Any other lurkers out there learning anything?

Comments

  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345 ✭
    Julian's sigline
    Kranky's sigline
    Stman's sigline
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345 ✭
    Am I qualified as lurker?image
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977 ✭
    And my sigline.image

    Here's a Big Fatman Welcome to Ya!image
  • Options
    Fresh Meat ™
    image
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570 ✭


    << <i>7. An ordinary collector like me can submit coins to PCGS but it is not always worth it to do so. >>



    I ain't learnt that yet
    image
    image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    imageimage
    ANA 1197201
    Vietnam Vet 69-70 - Semper Fi
  • Options
    mepotmepot Posts: 586 ✭✭✭
    Ive learned that you better be quick to reply if you have an answer to a question,

    with the knowledge base here the answers come quick,and they are usually right!image


    Lurking is good.
    computer illiterate,becoming coin literate with the help of this forum.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777 ✭
    You're also supposed to learn that dealers can't be trusted! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭
    2. Not all grading services are created equally and a PCGS MS70 is not necessarily the same as that grade from NGC, ANACS, or even SMS.


    5. Coin values hinge on what sometimes appear to be microscopic differences!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file