Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How out of control is ebay sniping?

13»

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Sniping is good for buyers and sellers.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only sore losers would complain about sniping.
    Doug
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I need a HA.com sniping program!
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    Instead of sniping, you should just focus on feeding starving children.
  • Options
    No, I fed my kids this week

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No, I fed my kids this week >>

I fed mine last week, it isn't time yet this week. Keep 'em hungry and they listen. --Jerry
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    Sniping simply amounts to forcing a "best Offer" on sellers.

It discourages bidding and IMO every bidder should have the opportunity to bid. I'd like to see a 2 minute auction extension on those last second snipes at the very minimum.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    The Buy it Now business model does a pretty good job of discouraging bidding too.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you are at any kind of live auction do you only bid at the beginning or do you come in at the end where the winner will be?
  • Options

<< <i>Sniping simply amounts to forcing a "best Offer" on sellers.

It discourages bidding and IMO every bidder should have the opportunity to bid. I'd like to see a 2 minute auction extension on those last second snipes at the very minimum. >>

I agree!

• Options

<< <i>It discourages bidding and IMO every bidder should have the opportunity to bid. I'd like to see a 2 minute auction extension on those last second snipes at the very minimum. >>

So instead of a couple of bidders making their maximum bids right at the end, you'd have those same bidders making incremental bids every two minutes for the next half an hour or so, until finally, somebody got bored and quit. Sounds like fun! image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Instead of sniping, you should just focus on feeding starving children. >>

I have seen both sides of this coin.

The pangs of hunger are just about equal to the thrill of that rush when one wins the numismatic prize or any prize for that matter. It's just that when someone gets that RUSH, it subsides.
    On the other hand, A child's pangs rage on until his little stomach starts to bloat. Maybe our kids are fed, but hunger is a serious issue throughout the world.

It really does not take a lot of money to help
    It takes an attitude of gratitude to give. I hope more of us will. We need one another.
    Sorry to go off of the topic with FEEDBAY. I believe you can find it in your heart to help someone. I know you see me. I know you hear my voice. Just do it , shhhhh Nobody has to know.
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> is there free software around???? >>

Mine's free. I just synchronize the second hand on my watch with the exact ending time of the auction, and then place my max bid when there's 3-5 seconds left. If I lose, no problem, because my bid's are the absolute maximum I will pay anyway. image

Of course my system doesn't work very well if I'm away from home when the auction ends and have no computer access! image
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Long live the sniper

Sniper says " If you run..you will only die tired" >>

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I just got over sniped on a Breen book eBay

and am truly surprised that eBay has not fixed this leak in their income

Yahoo auctions had an auto-extend option (for free)

that eBay should incorporate as it would increase final value fees and income to them

on Yahoo, the option extended closing time by 5 minutes if there was a new high bidder

instead eBay is trying to improve their platform by screwing up the searches and selling more advertisements

maybe good if they want to become a virtual store with slave labor, but their auctions are sliding imho
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play the game or you get played. Although on a few occasions when an auction ends at a time I can't (or don't want to be on a computer) I have left a winning bid way in advance. There's that strange feeling the next day when I log in of "wow I cant believe I got it that cheap" and "I better double check to make sure I'm getting the deal I originally thought when I was bidding with a wine glass in front of me".
  • Options

<< <i>When you are at any kind of live auction do you only bid at the beginning or do you come in at the end where the winner will be? >>

Snipers are non existent at live auctions simply because of the format.

The entire premise behind an auction is to sell to the highest bidder. If no bidders show up, the item simply does not sell. Most live auctions also start at a specific price which is not .99 cents but somewhere shy of wholesale.

A live auction encourages bidding in basic increments. If I bid $5.00, Joe Blow will reason that he can afford $5.50 to which I counter with $6.00. And so it goes until the highest possible bid is obtained.

Sniping on the other hand guarantees the "Lowest" possible bid amount as bids are placed by the controlling system to be 1 increment over the highest bid. In other words, if the high bid on an internet auction is $5.00, I can come along and bid $1,000 at the last second and yet win the item for $5.50! If that were to occur at a "Live" auction, the item would sell for $1,000.

eBay should really address this issue but I could guarantee that they won't because they just don't care. They rely upon sucking fee's out of there "big sellers" and to heck with the little guy. They support and condone sniping.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It discourages bidding and IMO every bidder should have the opportunity to bid. I'd like to see a 2 minute auction extension on those last second snipes at the very minimum. >>

So instead of a couple of bidders making their maximum bids right at the end, you'd have those same bidders making incremental bids every two minutes for the next half an hour or so, until finally, somebody got bored and quit. Sounds like fun! image >>

exactly. Biding at a live auction occurs they same way except the bidding is controlled by the auctioneer. In the case of eBay, there is no auctioneer therefore, I guess its not really an auction. Right?

No controls, no problems, just keep the fee's rolling in!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a sniper wins an auction he is the highest bidder and pays the most money. Do sellers have a problem with that? He did beat the 1st losers max bid.
  • Options

<< <i>Sniping on the other hand guarantees the "Lowest" possible bid amount as bids are placed by the controlling system to be 1 increment over the highest bid. >>

Ending bids could be higher if eBay bidders would bid what they're willing to pay, not just the next bid increment. For some reason, there are lots of bidders who apparently haven't quite figured this out, but the rules are pretty straighforward if you take the time to read them. image

<< <i> Biding at a live auction occurs they same way except the bidding is controlled by the auctioneer. In the case of eBay, there is no auctioneer therefore, I guess its not really an auction. Right? >>

Wrong. It's a fixed ending time auction. Like sealed bid auctions (no auctioneer) or bidboards (also no auctioneer). Just because the rules are different doesn't make it not an auction. image
  • Options

<< <i>If a sniper wins an auction he is the highest bidder and pays the most money. Do sellers have a problem with that? He did beat the 1st losers max bid. >>

The problem is that some underbidders don't really know how to figure their maximum bid and are looking for confirmation (via competing bids) that the item is actually worth what they bid. Otherwise why wouldn't they bid higher in the first place?
  • Options
    going to take this topic to a different post

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file