Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bring Back The Food Issues! (Unopened Milk Duds Pics added)

...like the cards found in cereal boxes, or ON cereal boxes, or on Mac and Cheese boxes - or whatever. I remember being a kid going to the grocery store and having my parents buy those items just to get the cards. I know they are really not worth anything, but it would be fun again - for me AND my 5 year old boy, Andrew. Heck, put 'em in Cracker Jack boxes were it makes it hard to find them in nice condition. I don't really care. Just bring them back.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I agree. I was in my early 20's looking for the Kraft Mac and Cheese boxes, Jiffy pop popcorn and some Kellers Butter Phillies. Still have just about all of the ones I bought.
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I loved those Post cards they had in the early 90s. The kids at school thought they were gold. The 1990 Griffey and Ryan cards could get you just about any card you wanted in trade.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I love the food issues. Especially the regional ones that you can't get unless you happen to be in that part of the country. This includes issues like the 7/11 coins that they used release all the time. I really miss those.
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    YES ! I hope Kellogs starts putting cards in thier boxes again.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always enjoyed getting free cards!

Post, Kelloggs and CJs were always favorites of mine.

I especially like when CJ did the classic 1915 reprint set in mini.

I remember getting some cards in boxes a few years back but can't remember which company?

It would be nice for a company to make a reprint of an old food issue - I guess the cost is a major factor?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    The last time I remember Post putting cards in their cereal boxes was 2001. They had a light brown wood grain border. There were two sets, an 8 card set and an 18 card set:

2001 Post 500 Club
    1 Babe Ruth
    2 Ernie Banks
    3 Jimmie Foxx
    4 Willie McCovey
    5 Frank Robinson
    6 Harmon Killebrew
    7 Mike Schmidt
    8 Reggie Jackson

Not a bad checklist. I tried to complete the set but I was never able to get all 8. I never saw the 18 card set which was made up of modern stars:

1 Alex Rodriguez
    2 Barry Bonds
    3 Bernie Williams
    4 Frank Thomas
    5 Greg Maddux
    6 Mark McGwire
    7 Manny Ramirez
    8 Orlando Hernandez
    9 Pedro Martinez
    10 Gary Sheffield
    11 Jermaine Dye
    12 Mike Piazza
    13 Barry Larkin
    14 Brad Radke
    15 Ivan Rodriguez
    16 Moises Alou
    17 Tony Gwynn
    18 Todd Helton

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>YES ! I hope Kellogs starts putting cards in thier boxes again. >>

I wouldn't mind a modern version of the 3 D cards! That would take us back down memory lane a little bit. I would love to pull an A Rod or a Pujols Kellogg's 3D.

Shane

• Options
    Does anyone collect those regional food sets issued by restaurants? I have some Domino's Pizza Upper Deck Football Cards from the 90's as well as some Long John Silver's Baseball cards from the late 80's. Now those are pretty tough to find don't look half bad either. Not the same type of food issue but it was nice to go in a restaurant for a bite to eat and leave with a pack or two. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    The food issues was a big part of making collecting fun. My kids are glad they arent living at home anymore to be force fed Cookie Crisp, Quaker Chewy Granola Bars, Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, Jiffy Pop, Clark Bars, Mario Buns, and the list goes on and on to include eating out and collecting the slurpee coins, pizza hut cards and Denny's holograms. Nothing like making your kids eat a Denny's Grand Slam breakfast just so you could get a Roberto Alomar hologram card....
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Post and Kellogg were the ones I loved. I tought the 3-d cards were soo cool.

Matt
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, I don't many athletes want to be associated with tobacco or dog food anymore. So much for the resurgence of those types of "food issue" cards.
  • Options
    I've got an idea - why don't they start putting cards in packages along with bubble gum so it will bring in more kids to the hobby. image

Shane

• Options
    I just listed some 1977 Burger Chef Discs when I thought of this old thread, so I decided to bring it back. I wish we could go to the grocery store and buy a box of cereal with some cards in the box or even on the box to cut out like the old Post cards.

Shane

• Options
    Didnt burger king put out cards that matched the topps cards in the late 70's /
  • Options
    Yes. Coke did the same thing in 1981 with Topps.

Shane

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Hey FrankHardy,
    is there a Ted Simmons in that lot of yours?
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    I miss 'em too.

Post Cereal
    King B Jerky
    Dog Treats
    Kraft Mac 'N Cheese
    Mothers Cookies
    7-11 Slurpees

RIP Food Issues.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    didnt Dennys do cards with holograms on them too image

i needs me a grandslam breakfast!
  • Options
    tyweb1tyweb1 Posts: 528 ✭✭
    This thread made me think about my dad making eat Drake's cakes for breakfast lunch and dinner it seemed when they had panels on their boxes. A ring ding jr. would be kind of nice right now though.
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    My favorites:

Wondo

• Options
    Around a year ago I noticed on Dennys kids activity mat they spelled McGwire as Mcguire.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Most professional teams have wallet sized schedules they give away for free at various locations

Lots of Sunday papers have high quality posters
    Tom
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    My vote for the best food issue is the Kellogg's 3-D cards. Slowly working on 1974 and 1982 PSA sets.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    I'm down to needing one card (#2 - Seaver) to complete my 1971 Kellogg's BB basic set in NM (raw, of course). Have two Seaver's but both have tiny hairline cracks.

Matt
  • Options

<< <i>My favorites:

image >>

I promise that I am not making this up. I resurrected this thread this morning. I come back to my computer and see this Milk Dud card. In between the time that I resurrect this thread and see this Clemente Milk Dud card, I actually bought 3 unopened boxes of 1971 Milk Duds of Hank Aaron, Thurman Munson, and Tommy Harper. All three still have the original contents. The Harper has been opened (I think) due to the bent places on the lid. The Aaron and Munson, however, as as pristine as when they first came out. I thought they were really neat, so I bought them from a local man. As soon as I got them, I thought of this thread. Then, I get back to check the thread and I see the Milk Dud Clemente.

Scans/pictures coming this evening.

Any ideas of the value of a MINT unopened box of Aaron and Munson?

Shane

• Options
    Didn't Pepsi have Topps cards in their cubes last year?

I remember getting our hair cut somewhere, and my brother winning an uncut sheet of their baseball card 'discs' back in the 1980s. I can't remember the salon, though.
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    Wasn't it Fantastic Sams?

I loved the Good Humor ice cream bars had had fascimille autoed bats instead of regular sticks.
  • Options

<< <i>Wasn't it Fantastic Sams? >>

That's it! I couldn't think of the name. Thanks!!!
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    Yeah Pepsi had cards in their cubes.

I never found any. My Mom sells Pepsi @ work and went thru at least 10 and never got any cards. Maybe a regional issue.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have it anymore, but back in 1994 I did send for the complete 1994 Post set (the one with the green borders)
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Here are the Milk Duds. The Aaron and Munson, I am very sure, have never been opened. The Harper did appear to have been opened, so I opened it myself. Boy, those 37 year old Milk Duds sure look tasty. I have some incredible will power. image

My digital camera is not the best. It doesn't focus very well. The scans of the side panels are of the Aaron. Here they are. Any ideas as to what they will bring?

Shane

• Options
    I have no idea of their value, but thats awesome !!!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Those are spectacular!!!

I do not have any original boxes / candy - are you gonna eat any?

Wondo

• Options

<< <i>Those are spectacular!!!

image >>

I wonder if they would just dissolve like the old Topps gum. (Yes, I've tried a piece from like 1980. It tastes nasty and it just dissolves.)

Shane

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Those are spectacular!!!

image >>

I wonder if they would just dissolve like the old Topps gum. (Yes, I've tried a piece from like 1980. It tastes nasty and it just dissolves.) >>

Dude!!! That's hardcore, lol.

Nice Milk Dud boxes there!!! The only one I have is a Jim Palmer (folded, no milk duds anymore).
    "I've never been able to properly explain myself in this climate" -Raul Duke

ebay i.d. clydecoolidge - Lots of vintage stars and HOFers, raw, condition fully disclosed.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Here are some others no one has mentioned in this thread that I collected when they came out:
    McDonalds football cards (individually or in sheets) with the different colored scratchoff panel for a prize each week
    Post cereal mini-bobbleheads
    milk cartons with NFL players on the back panel (c. 1984 or 1985)

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>Here are some others no one has mentioned in this thread that I collected when they came out:
    McDonalds football cards (individually or in sheets) with the different colored scratchoff panel for a prize each week
    Post cereal mini-bobbleheads
    milk cartons with NFL players on the back panel (c. 1984 or 1985)

Nick >>

I think those were 1986. I think I have the whole set. I also have one of those milk cartons with Joe Montana. I don't collect football, I just happened to have these.

Shane

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if they would just dissolve like the old Topps gum. (Yes, I've tried a piece from like 1980. It tastes nasty and it just dissolves.) >>

I tried some from the '75 mini rip and it didn't disolve.

It was nasty, concrete-like, and probably took a year or two off my life.

Spit censored because some people were offended when it was originally posted.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>

Spit censored because some people were offended when it was originally posted.

image >>

You have got to be kidding me! Ok, I was offended that you censored it! image

Shane

• Options
    leftofdialleftofdial Posts: 442 ✭✭
    I always liked the illustrated cards that came in Sugar Daddys in the late 70's /early 80's - they were kind of crappy, kind of cool with the oversized heads of the players. They also remind me of the 80-81 topps basketball cards.
    And the early 80's slurpee coins were pretty with the lenticular effect that sort of worked- there was also a sheet /checklist that you could tape them. I drank alot of surpees, and always seemed to get the same players over and over again

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

I like the Kahn's hot dog cards also but they're REAL hard to find in nice shape!
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
    A couple of my faves:

• Options
    Here is a better picture with my dad's camera.

Shane