Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Is it me or are Ebay stores stupid?

Have you guys had much success finding stuff in people's ebay stores? I go through my daily saved searches and I always see a bunch of stuff in people's stores but the prices are usually completely unrealistic. For instance, I have up for auction a 1980 Burger King Nolan Ryan PSA 8 right now with no bids at $5 yet people have them in their store's for $20. Is anybody really paying 4x-5x true market value for stuff? I know about the capitalism and free market stuff but stores really have become useless in my opinion. Now that I think about it, I've never bought anything from an Ebay store yet I've probably bought hundreds of stuff from auctions. Maybe I'm just too frugal.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    It costs them $0.36 per year to have it listed. If it wasn't worth it, many wouldn't do it.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I have an eBay store and the most difficult part of it for me is keeping inventory in it. I cannot believe how much I sell. I always set my prices reasonably, but you are right, there are some sellers who charge ridiculous money, but ultimately, I'm sure they are making sales. The store allows me to sell lower priced cards that I otherwise would never even bother to offer. But when you sell 50 cards for $3-10/each, that's money that I never could have got out of them any other way.

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I agree with A761506- I'm not a dealer, but when I upgrade I put the dupes in my store. They aren't as cheap as they could go on ebay, but are less than a show or an auction house. And there are many times I"ve seen cards go on ebay for more than the one in my store- same card, same grade, and same condition. As a seller the store is great, and my biggest problem is keeping stuff in there. I pay .02 per month for most items, and whether you are a buyer or seller I would highly recommend them. The best thing is when ebay springs a .10 listing day it's one click to get everything on- and then they really sell.
    Great way to clear dupes, even better way to find cards I need.

edited to add- if you're looking for modern (post WW2) stuff you're better off on ebay, because it comes up so often. But for things that don't come up all the time, it's the best way to go.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I wouldnt pay a premium. But I have bought 3 cards or there abouts from ebay store. I paid full SMR. On ebay, I probably would have saved $15 dollars.
    Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.
  • Options
    My eBay store has been a huge success. When I had my webstore off ebay my biggest problem was traffic, it would be difficult driving people to the store, and even if they went there once they would forget about it. Also keeping inventory listed correctly was a huge waste of time.

Since moving to the eBay store my sales have at least tripled, I get all kinds of reports, free search engine keywords, automated inventory, and where do people spend most of their time looking for cards anyhow - eBay of course so I'm always a click away. Much cheaper than hiring an employee also.

Keeping the card prices reasonable is the key.
    I see ebay auctions as a market that is a mix between wholesale and retail. More wholesale than retail.
    eBay stores will be more retail than wholesale because you have people taking inventories for resale.
    While most off ebay stores are pretty much full retail.

There is something to be said for the seller that makes a product available to the right consumer at any given time vs just auctioning it to the highest bidder in a short period of time. But I do get your point Steve, you just happen to have enough time to invest to make it worth the hunt. But there is another whole world of collectors that would rather pay a slight premium to do some one stop shopping with a reputable well stocked store.

Always an interesting topic to explore. Sorry about any spelling errors, gotta run for now.
    Jeremy
  • Options
    I once bought a complete 1983 Topps football set in Mint condition for $21 shipping included. Have also found some other decent deals but that was the best.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Part of the fun of collecting for me is trying to pick items up as cheaply as possible.
    I've never really seen a sports card in an eBay store that I couldn't get for less if I'd just wait a while.

On the other hand, when I go to buy something that's not a sports card I'll buy from an eBay store.
    Probably could find it cheaper elsewhere, but my time has some value and I'm way too lazy to research a one time purchase.

So the stores definitely serve a purpose for people who want something right now and for that they're great.
    Knowledge and patience aren't free and that's the difference between eBay auction prices and eBay store prices.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I debated for a long time between an e-bay store and designing a web site. I finally settled on the e-bay store and it has been a resounding success. I've sold cards that never sold in auction. I would list lots that would go un bid on. In the store I list them as singles at sell them for 10x's what the lot woulda sold for just to move them' I like others am having a hard time keeping it stocked. I went from 300 items at Christmas to 70 now. I have another 500 or so to list. My favorite feature is offering best offer. If I list it too high, the customers tell me with their offers. I've had quite a few sell for more than on line auctions because they are available, but my prices for the most part are reasonable. Most items that I have left are the low ticket singles, but even .99 cards add up. No way I coulda moved them any other way and they woulda just rotted in the corner. now with the sales I can add it to my buy fund for cards that I want now.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Usually prices tend to be on the high ...like dealers websites.

I think i have only bought a couple of cards via ebay stores...out of 400+ deals.

I do however keep some items in my watch list just to see if they do sell and while it takes a while a lot of them do eventually sell.

Prices might be higher but the selection is so much better.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Based on this thread, and the huge show of support for owning an Ebay store that so many posters have demonstrated, I decided to open one up tonight. The idea is to get rid of all the clutter I have laying around-- cards that are worth 3 to 5 bucks, for instance. I'd like to see this stuff off, but what I'd REALLY like to do- and this was a big reason why I opened the store--is sell the 7 1992 Stadium Club SkyDome Shawn Green USA 9.0 cards I have kicking around. I loathe these cards, and have been desperate to sell them for six years. If somebody takes them off my hands I will sing the praises of the Ebay store from the highest rooftop.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, I guess I am in the minority here. Based on my zero success with finding stuff in ebay stores, I figured there would be a lot of people like me. I relate most to Wolfbear's collecting. If I wanted to collect at whatever price, then there would be no end. You could blow through set after set paying crazy prices. I like to get what I want for a fair price, otherwise I can do without it.

I must say though based on the comments here, I think I will open a store also. I got lots of crap to dump for cheap.
  • Options
    My eBay store has been a very good thing for me as well. I was toying with the idea of designing my own website, but with the costs and time needed involved, eBay stores was the way to go at the time. I'm happy with my decision as I've sold cards that I didn't think would sell and for more than I anticipated.

In purchasing via an eBay store, I have found many deals. But, that's because I bargain with the fellow eBay store owner. Purchasing several cards and getting a discount just by asking. I'd say that 60-75% of the time they make a deal which works out for both parties. It's like a big 'ol card show out there! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I use it often if the price is right.I agree most prices are higher.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    99% of what I see in Ebay stores is overpriced - but I do occassionally buy there. And some of the sellers I've talked to seem to move a good deal of product through the stores. So I think it can go both ways.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Check and see if they are allowing "make me an offer".
    I've found that if I offer about 80% of what the card is listed at, it will be accepted.
    So I use that rule when getting offers as well

ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • Options
    I was just checking it out and they want 8% for the 1st $25. With a auction being around 5% that isn't too awfully bad. You would have to bump the prices a little to make up the difference but some are way out of control.
  • Options
    What do you think the break even price is to sell something on an ebay store? I have a bunch of random ungraded singles ($0.50-10) that I want to unload. I think they would help a lot of player collectors who are looking for those cards that are so easy to find, no one offers them (i.e. 1992 Topps Gold).

Here's what I figure, assuming it will take less than a month to sell:

$0.02 listing
    8% closing
    $0.30 paypal
    2.9% payment fee

$0.32 + 10.9% of closing = ??? minimum price to break even

Justin
    Currently collecting the Nolan Ryan Basic and Topps Player sets.

NAXCOM
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I had "make an offer" on my listings initially and got stupid offers of 10% of SMR.
    If someone wants to make an offer they do so anyway, regardless if the option is there. When someone has given me a reasonable offer I just accept it, lower the price and they hit the BIN.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Wabbitt - There are a lot of ebay stores that have ridiculous prices and anemic sales. I'm happy for the store owners here who have been successful, but when I see sellers charging well above market for cards, I'll often check their 30 day sales history. 99% of the time the seller is moving very little product and is actually losing money by operating out of a store vs. auctions once you factor in the $16 flat fee and the higher FVF. They got more for whatever they moved, but the difference between auction prices and their sales for those auctions weren't enough to cover the added fees. Plus, their turnover was obviously much slower. I don't think any of those sellers I'm talking about are really dealers, though, so having sound business practices probably isn't a priority.
  • Options

<< <i>What do you think the break even price is to sell something on an ebay store? I have a bunch of random ungraded singles ($0.50-10) that I want to unload. I think they would help a lot of player collectors who are looking for those cards that are so easy to find, no one offers them (i.e. 1992 Topps Gold).

Here's what I figure, assuming it will take less than a month to sell:

$0.02 listing
    8% closing
    $0.30 paypal
    2.9% payment fee

$0.32 + 10.9% of closing = ??? minimum price to break even

Justin >>

An ebay store is great if you've got alot of stuff to sell. Say, you've got 300 cards for sale.

If you list them the regular way, 300 x .25 is $75 just in listing fees! Vs $21.95 for a store (at .02 cents plus the $15.95).

Say you sell 50 cards at $3, at a FVF of 5.25%. That's $7.87. 50 cards at $3 at 8% is only $12.

Basically, the .25 cent listings fees are far more costly than the difference between 5.25% and 8% of the closing price. Maybe someone else can figure out a break even equation....it's too late on the west coast to figure it out image

Great thread guys.
  • Options
    Ok, I've been doing some digging and I think I should be able to come up with a couple thousand listings for like 50 cents to $5. Here's one thought that I am considering for shipping so tell me what you think. I came up with this shipping chart:

1-25 Cards = $2.00
    26-50 Cards = $2.50
    51-100 Cards = $3.50
    101-150 Cards = $4.00
    150-200 Cards = $4.50
    200-400 Cards = $7.00
    400-1500 Cards = $9.00

That chart wouldn't help somebody much if they are buying 1 50 cent common but a formula like this would encourage people to buy a lot. If somebody bought 20 cards from me for say $10, my fees would be $.59 from paypal, $.40 listing fee, and $.80 final value fee plus my shipping costs. That wouldn't put me too far in the hole so I think the added sales would be worth that.

How does that sound from a business standpoint and also, how does that sound to somebody who was looking for cards to buy? Any opinions?
  • Options
    I think those shipping charges look extremely fair.

Just wondering what type of cards you are looking at putting in your store? I opened up a store a couple of months ago primarily to try to sell some books that I've purchased at estate sales and Goodwill. I really want to build up my inventory of both books and cards but just wondering what type of cards I should look at getting in there. I have a bunch of random stuff laying around that I guess for $0.02 I should just throw on there.
  • Options
    Well, I have about 1000+ Nm-Mint 1974-1975 Topps cards to start with. Then I have a bunch of modern stuff. I spent about 8 years setting up at shows so I've got a bunch of stuff from discount boxes that were on my table. I've sold a lot more than I've been buying in the last couple years so I'm not sure what all I have left. I'm not sure what to do with good stuff as I get it. It would be nice to put everything in a store but that last thing I want is thousands of dollars of quality stuff just sitting there and not moving when I could be turning money. I guess I'll see how it goes.
  • Options
    Sagard has it right. At 36 cents a year, it is a cheap way to warehouse your duplicates, while still having exposure to buyers. The direct answer to your question is " A lot of people buy from the Ebay stores". I maintain a power seller status with almost all sales through my store. Occassionally I toss up an auction here and there, but not often anymore. People will pay a premium for the "buy it now feature" or are comfortable working with a seller they have had good experience with, or they may simply not want to compete with other buyers in an auction setting. They are happy to pay a premium for this. It is very similar to why people pay a premium at a brick and mortar stamp, coin, or card dealer.
  • Options
    What type of store do most of you have? Do you have the basic store for $15.95 a month?
  • Options
    Which is better the basic store for $15.95 a month or the featured store for $49.95 a month. If you had 1000 items to sell would the extra cost be worth it.
  • Options
    I'm interested in knowing if anyone opened up a store after reading this thread. What are the results?

Did anyone ever figure out a breakeven point?

NAXCOM
  • Options
    I've started working on it. I've scanned about 800 cards so far but it will be a momumental task. I'm hoping to get it all completed within a month but that is in between my job and my other ebay auctions that I normally run. I'll let you know how it's going in a couple months.
  • Options
    I just opened one have to see how it works out. Just wanted to check and see if any of you guys who have a store had any luck selling raw cards from the late 70's.

Thanks
    Ken
  • Options
    i have a ebay store.have sold some stuff but right now i don't have alot listed.did sell a '56 psa 5 card today for 14.50 in a seven day auction but have some '56 topps psa 6's listed at 12.99 in my store that haven't moved.go figure.
  • Options
    I have a question that hopefully somebody can answer. What's the best way to list a few thousand items in a store that is being opened? Does Turbo Lister work for ebay stores? I see that Ebay offers Selling Manager Pro but the last thing I want is more fees. Am I going to have to list them one by one on Ebay or is there a quicker method such as Turbo Lister offers?
  • Options
    wufdudewufdude Posts: 356
    Yes, Turbo Lister does work for stores. You are able to choose which option to want for selling - auction, fixed-price or Store inventory.
  • Options
    qmayerqmayer Posts: 286
    Steve,

The Basic Seller manager is included in your store fees. I signed up for the 30 day trial for stores, then the 30 day trial of the Basic seller manager. I've averaged abotu $20 a day for the week. It looks to be slowing though.

NAXCOM
  • Options
    I started out by doing my own website. I later tried an eBay store and it wasn't successful. The thing is that I already had a website. It took years to get semi-decent traffic to my website. Anyway I can see many ways to successfully use an eBay store. It is a no-brainer if you don't have your own website. You can work up lots of listings and put them in your store. Each week you can move an item or two to a 1 cent start, no reserve auction and that will bring more people in.
  • Options
    I buy alot of singles for the players I collect. Ive found some really nice deals but also see alot of "out of touch with reality" prices. Ive started asking for lower BIN prices. Some bite, some dont.
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • Options
    hmmm Interesting topic!

I never really thought about it, but I never buy things from the set-priced ebay stores,
    but use the buy-it-now feature on auctions quite a bit.

not sure why, but for some reason I just see them differently. LIke the buy it now prices seem lower, or better deals or something. I use them when I feel the bids would go that high anyway and do not want to miss it.

the store prices are like going into a local card shop. TOO HIGH, but the difference is that in a card shop I feel I could haggle (and like cars, the prices are set high with haggling room in mind!) but the online shops and ebay stores are just high and no haggling is involved, so people tend to walk away.

if prices are Reasonable, then I would buy there to, but just seems they are not.

• Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to sound a warning about Ebay's so-called "Free Trial" for the ebay stores. I've been going back and forth with their Customer Service about getting my promised credit for my store. The CS Bots apparently aren't configured to do math. 2/17-3/14 < 30 days. Yet, they respond that I must cancel before 30 days. And, they charged me for the partial month I signed up in and also a full month for March.

So, be mindful to check your invoice if you do decide to try out the "free" offer to make sure it's really free.
  • Options
    Ilovebaseballcards- Many of the stores have "best offer" or "make an offer" options. You can put in the price you are willing to pay and the seller can accept or negotiate with you. Or you can just email the sellers asking if the would move on their price. Unless it is a rare item, many will work with you. If not, move to the next seller.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    One thing that is an almost cetainty though, great deals are super rare from Ebay stores. At best, you'll pay very close to full retail. For instance, if a card is regularly closing on auction at around $50, it will probably be in somebody's ebay store at $60. What can you really offer them? Is $40 really even a bargain? I doubt they would accept $40 if they are asking $60, that's 1/3rd of the price off. If you keep bidding in auctions on that card, eventually you will get a smokin' deal on it and win it for $30 on a weird night. I still look to see what people have in their ebay stores, but just with mild interest. I don't want to spend all day making people offers at 50% of their selling price trying to find a bargain. I can find bargains all day in real auctions.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I have had my ebay store up and running for less than 2 weeks now and I think its great. Several items that I wouldnt normally list are being chipped away at in the store, and I have had a bunch of vintage non sports wax sell almost immediately after listing, which are bringing in 2-3x what I paid for them within the past year. I think the key is having live auctions running concurrently to attract attention to the store. Now I know this is a short sample period of time, and mine is just one example that has worked, but it seems to me that many a buyer feels more confident in a purchase from a store ( feeling the seller is more reputable and not some fly by night operation ) as well as attracting the buyer who wishes to grab the item they want without hassle of bidding/waiting etc for an auction to end.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra