Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

All modern gold commems keep +ing on the greysheet.

fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know a lot of the price increases have to do with gold prices rising, but the higher dollar scarce gold modern commemoratives are also plusing in the greysheet. The uncirculated 2000-W bimetalic $10 is over $1,400 and the 1996-W uncirculated Smithson is nearing $900.image Even the super high dollar uncirculated 1997-W Jackie Robinson keeps plusing. I am glad I already have a gold modern commemorative registry set.

Comments

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That makes the Modern Gold Commemorative Set worth $11,000 at BID not counting a premimum for MS69's & MS70's! image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. It's amazing that deals can still be had on some of these on eBay considering the increases.

Would/could you share the greysheet on the 2001 Visitor Center Unc?

Thanksimage
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grey Sheet on the 2001 Capitol Visitors UNC $5 Gold is $585/$620.

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe someone is getting ready to do a major promotoin and is buying them up and putting pressure on the supply.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Tell them to stop already, at least until I complete my set (only need two more).
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Grey Sheet on the 2001 Capitol Visitors UNC $5 Gold is $585/$620.

GrandAm image >>

Thanks Gary! image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That makes the Modern Gold Commemorative Set worth $11,000 at BID not counting a premimum for MS69's & MS70's! image

GrandAm image >>

Who would have thunk it?

In a way I'm glad I have completed my collection of cherry wood box sets, but unlike many classic coins, in moderns what goes up has a better chance of coming down.

The high mintage gold coins will come down for sure if the gold bullion price drops. The others could be hit and miss. Despite the mintage I think that the Jackie Robinson Uncirculated gold coin is getting well within the "overrated category.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    I think the super low mintage Gold commems have a lot of room left for price increases. These will be the future set stoppers.

BillJones...Do you have the 1996 Olympic 32 and 16 piece cherrywood set?
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    anyone know why the Smithsonian $5 unc has dropped so much?

seems odd next to the high prices for other $5 uncs with similar mintage's?
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    some wholesale dealers have stopped buying gold commems.

there is something there, I am sure of that!
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    As a dealer I found out pretty fast that the Gray Sheet numbers from modern gold commemoratives WERE NOT the numbers dealers would pay for them. View those numbers as retail amounts, at least for raw coins, and coins that don't get the PR-70 or MS-69 or 70 grades.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>anyone know why the Smithsonian $5 unc has dropped so much? >>

It doesn't make sense. The Smithsonian unc $5 gold has just a 9,000 + mintage combined with a great theme and design. I think it is a great buy right now.

This is a OLD thread tbw. Since then I sold off my gold modern commemorative gold registry set.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>anyone know why the Smithsonian $5 unc has dropped so much? >>

It doesn't make sense. The Smithsonian unc $5 gold has just a 9,000 + mintage combined with a great theme and design. I think it is a great buy right now.

This is a OLD thread tbw. Since then I sold off my gold modern commemorative gold registry set. >>

I might add that if you are into the modern commemorative sets in the wooden boxes, the Smithsoian set is hardest one to find. I've seen more of the 32 piece Atlanta Olympics sets offered at shows than the Smithsoian set. It's also unique in its design. The Smithsoian set comes in long oblong box that unlike an of the other sets. Here some pictures:

• Options
    Yes Bill and the 1996 Smithson unc $1 is the hardest commemorative dollar to find on the aftermarket. The set is undervalued.
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I love that set
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't own many commemorative dollars, but I own the Smithsonian in MS largely because my two little girls think it looks like a fairy is on the coin.image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file