Home U.S. Coin Forum

Truly "New" 1811 Capped Bust Half

stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
Unlike many Bust halves out there in MS holders, this piece has absolutely no rub/wear/cabinet friction. Also, there are no hairlines on the coin as well. Save for a couple stars the strike is sharp.
It's got a textured surface, and the frosty luster flashes through the toning very nicely. The luster also is very thick through the fields, which really
doesn't show in this image. I've had this for a few weeks. And since mgoodm3 worked hard at imaging this for me, I thought some of you would appreciate seeing this. A true MS Bust half in any year is a tough one to find. Having this early date come available to me from a board member I feel quite fortunate to have acquired such a coin. I wouldn't call the surfaces completely original, but with all the other positive attributes I've mentioned it's a winner in my eyes. Enjoy, or not.image

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Comments

• ERER Posts: 7,345
    Hey, what's with the color, stman?image
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
    Oh yeah, stunning!image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Excellent choice!
  • AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    That is without doubt one of the nicest bust halves I've ever seen image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Damn fine coin. I love the texture on the surfaces, esp obv.

Looks even better with huge pictures.image
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • RWRW Posts: 485
    That's awesome..thanks for posting.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also appears to be struck from relatively new dies. Very nice coin.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's a beauty! image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's stunning St, absolutely stunning.
  • Not that it matters, but is that Bust in a TPG holder? Super nice looking half. image
  • jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    Incredible, thanks for sharing.
  • Incredibly beautiful coin! image
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I think my heart skipped a few beatsimageimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    WOW!!!
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Great detail of hair and eagle feathers. Never seen one struck like that. Mintage 1,200,000. Probably one of the top 5% surviving. Great find.
    Collecting cleaned, scratched, scraped, AT and ugly POS coins for over 2 years now!
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Sure is a beauty! Great strike.
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a "bust man"... well maybe I am a littleimage. Anyhow back to the coin, that is gorgeous!!!imageimage
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Not too shabby, not too shabby at all.image
  • cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stman.............................No question, beautiful CBH. The strike is amazing. Congrats on a keeper.image
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice and an excellent strike... wow...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• That is simply gorgeous!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not that it matters, but is that Bust in a TPG holder? >>

Yes.
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yes. >>

Is it going to stay in it? image

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yes. >>

Is it going to stay in it? image >>

Yes, unless someone with a "set" of higher graded ones will let me throw this one in for upgrade!! Heh
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey stman. That one is truly a stunner. Aside from the slightly weak strike on 2 or 3 of the stars, this coin shows a nice strong strike, really appealling color, relatively mark free----What a coin....

To see an early date bust half looking like this is really a treat. You just don't usually see them looking this nice. This coin is nothing but positives. Great coin stman and one you should be proud to own ( I sure as heck would be). This is/should be a centerpiece coin in a nice bust half set.

You sure do have the eye with these stman.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    Nice Coin Steve!!!image

Great pics mgoodm3 (If I may ask, what lights do you use?)
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful!image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Love that bust!!!!
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I tried various types of lighting for this coin and it came down to what look he liked best. I just used one light at about 11 o'clock. The one light really shows a lot of contrast and really picks up the texture in the fields and on the relief. My one light was a 300W halogen lamp. This was a coin that you can't make look bad, it just comes down to what features you want to bring out. The obv is amazing on it.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    I really like the depth of the strike you were able to bring out.
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've got to love those "MS-62" slabbed busties that have large areas of wear visible on Liberty's cheek, and on the eagle's wings, but the grading service failed to notice. We've all seen them at one time or another, and wondered "how can they call that mint state?" This 1811 is the exact opposite, a true MS coin, and I absolutely love it. 1811 is one of my favorite underrated dates in the Capped Bust series, too. Thanks very much for showing it to us.
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Holy schikes! Great coin!! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Wo... Wo... Wowww!!!!
    Thanks folks. I see absolutely no reason for this but........
  • mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    did mgoodm3 take those photos thru the slab?
  • Very nice coin.
    That brings me back to the late 1980's when I was helping a collector put togther a bust half set with all the overton types. He had been working on the set for 40 years when I met him, one day he takes me to his home no other dealer was ever their he tells me.
    His house was on a huge clean lake in the midwest but very old it had the ice box yes ice box in the kitchen the home was built in the 1800's very large & in mint condtion. He leads me in the basement & brings out double row box after box of bust haves. I never have seen so many bust half's 100's of a single date with many uncs I asked if he would sell me some he said ok these were his extras that he already up graded, the set was locked up in the bank.
    He was a true follower of the overton book & understood it, I would test many over the many years with the overton book most just shake their head & give up after not making an progress trying to ID the overton Varity. When my son decided he wanted to deal in coins with me a few years ago I handed him the overton book with a handful of bust halfs thinking this will keep him busy for a while, I will see if he has any desire to do this with me or if this was just a passing fad. When I saw him stop working on them I said having fun or are you giving up. He says all done, I am like no way you can't be done this should have taken you an hour or more if in fact you could do it at all. I thought he was pulling my leg but not he did it & faster than anyone I have ever met, his comment was Dad just think what it took for overton to put the book togther.
    Most dealers Grading was new or used when I started & most still didn't get it right.
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image stman, your coin shows that there can be nice examples of bust halves in 62 holders, at a fraction of the price of a 64 or 65.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Wow that is a great looking coin!
    All American Coin & Jewlery Co.
    6024 N. 9th Ave #5
    Pensacola, FL 32504
    HTTP://WWW.AACoinCo.Com
  • TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    That is REALLY, REALLY nice. image
  • busco69busco69 Posts: 815 ✭✭
    I realy like that one.
    ''Coin collecting is the only hobby where you can spend all your money and still have some left''
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever.

J

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file