Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The 1812 Bustie arrived today

She looks great in person. The color is great. By the date there is a transition from purple to orange to blue on the underside of the bust. There is a scattering of blue toning throughout the obverse. The coin is pretty mark free but everyone, including me, missed a large hit in the very center of the coin. It blends in very well with its surounding so obviously it is a very hold hit considering it is darkly toned like its surroundings. There is a small scratch by the 4th star on the right side. The reverse is very crusty and has some blue toning scattered around also. On the reverse there are only two marks that should be mentioned. One is a thin scratch that goes from the L to the R in Pluribis. The second mark is under the right wing in the field. All in all I am very pleased with this purchase and am really considering maybe trying to build a date set. What grades would you recommend going for to try to keep the cost down? I was thinking F-VF.image

I did do the "stman" evil-eye test like Steve recommended and did not see any hairlines.image
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was thinking F-VF >>

You're thinking correctly. Super fun to collect in those grades. image
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    It's great, and I love your picture. Very cool!

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is not to love about that coin. She sure is a beauty. Those earlier years remind me of early wheat cents- they have a beauty all their own. Later years showed design "improvements" and changes, but those early ones are in a class of their own. F-VF is a nice affordable set, but there is not that much of a price increase going to VF-EF either. It is only when you get into the EF-AU grades that these start getting expensive. Good luck with the set, you are off to a good start.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    That's a very nice coin for the grade. As always, patience is the key. Don't ever buy a coin because it seems like a good deal, buy it because you like it and it is choice for the grade. There are always "good deals" out there that won't stand the test of time.
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    Nice coin.
  • Options
    nepbrs44nepbrs44 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Nice Coin...........Fine Grade
    Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    It's a beaut. Your photo is great too. image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad it worked out for you. image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    It's a great looking Bustie.image
  • Options
    Great lookin Bustie.

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice bustie
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin,and picture.

Al
  • Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    That is a nice old Bust half. I like to see the old silver toning. Nobody messed with it.

If you are looking to keep cost down, you might want to buy raw ones. As long as you buy others that look like this one, you will do fine. Plus, you will get to see the lettered edge of the coin.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do love Busties. Crusty Busties, cleaned Busties, holed Busties, raw Busties, slabbed Busties...

I don't care.... love 'em all!

WTG, CoinAddict! Nice addition! image

I like the colors. Wish I could see it in hand.

Great minds think alike, y'know. I too just bought an 1812 Bustie. Mine isn't in hand yet, though. I look forward to meeting her.

imageimage

Mine might be higher grade than yours but I like them both. I never met a Bustie I didn't like, but it looks like we both got nice original circ examples.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Hey, what's this "evil eye" test, anyway? Inquiring minds wanna know. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    simply a true piece of history!!!

nice images as well!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    The "stman" evil-eye test as Steve put it is when you look under the toning for hairlines. He said "Good light, loupe, twist it turn it every which way looking underneath the tone for hairlines."

Very nice bustie, Rob. She is a beauty.image
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The "stman" evil-eye test as Steve put it is when you look under the toning for hairlines. He said "Good light, loupe, twist it turn it every which way looking underneath the tone for hairlines." >>

Yeah, I used to complain of a stiff neck from the evil-eye test. Then Coinguy1 told me rather than moving my head all around, to simply move the coin instead.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
  • Options
    Nice.
  • Options
    Mine got here today. Thanks, Brett! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file