Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1962 Brock Rookie on Ebay SGC 98

Any thoughts on whether this is legit?
Link

Comments

• Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    That exact card was sold in Superior's December 2005 auction and closed at $4255.00 before BP. While it's certainly possible this eBayer is the guy who won it in the Superior auction, the last viewable auction in his feedback history - a Fisher Price Pixter Plus - tells me probably not. Bidder beware.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    "User ID kept private"

RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wondo

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only a three day auction? If it's a $4,000 card you would want more exposure than 3 days. I'd stay away.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    EXACT same scan as the Superior auction.

Obvious scam, possibly with a stolen ebay and paypal ID.
    Capecards
  • Options
    I'm sure its a scam, I'm sure its the same guy who has the 57 UNITAS PSA 9 for sale. Under a different ID . He listed a PSA 9 Jim Brown and the same Unitas 2 weeks ago.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    It's time these major auction houses put some sort of identifier on the cards' holder that cannot be easily "airbrushed" by the would-be scammers.
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    A while back, DSL started putting an embossed watermark on all the scans of the cards they were selling. I think it's a great idea. They generally execute it well, so that you can still see all the necessary characteristics of the card.

Example -

It takes all of about 30 seconds using Photoshop. Considering the layout of the catalogs that Mastro, Superior, et al put out, they most definitely have Photoshop and Quark or InDesign. So they already have the necessary tools on hand. If I were to consign a unique item, I would probably insist on something like that. I would think that the auction houses would be interested as I would certainly imagine that their catalogs are copyrighted - and an eBay seller stealing the scan would be copyright infringement, would it not?

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree - definitely a scam.
  • Options
    Its been removed by ebay
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    A lot of times I will right click a picture, save it to my computer, and zoom in when I want to get a better look. One auction I tried that and as soon as I clicked the right button, it dinged and a message came up that said the image was a copyright of (the seller's name). I was dissapointed that I couldn't get a closer look but it was nice that somebody was protecting us from scammers. A computer whiz would know how he did that but I have no idea how it's done. The auction houses need to figure that out.
  • Options

<< <i>A computer whiz would know how he did that but I have no idea how it's done. >>

You can usually get around this by going to View -> Source and reading the HTML code of the page. You should be able to find the path of the source .jpg file and paste that into your browser's address line. You can then do your right-click and save it. Some of the smarter sellers/auction houses are now using Flash and/or Javascript, which pretty much makes those pics untouchable.