Home Sports Talk
Options

Vandy QB to be taken #2 overall?

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
Jay Cutler, Vandy QB, is now being rumored to be taken before Leinart or Young, and possibly being taken by the Saints as #2.

I am not a big college football fan, so I've never heard of this guy, but people are saying he's very Brett Favre-ish.

Anyone have some insight on this guy?

Comments

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Not a chance in my honest and humble opinion.

If we take Bush #1 (even though I would love to have Vince), I see NO taking Young and Matt headed to TEN and reunites with Norm Chow.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jay Cutler is projected to go to Detroit. Great, the Lions take another young QB to destroy.
    Mike
  • Options
    He has over a 120 QB rating for his career. Considering their running game is poor, and their defense is mediocre (forcing vandy to often play catch-up), his numbers are solid.
  • Options
    It took my Gators 2OT's to defeat Vandy at the Swamp this past season. That Cutler kid just kept making play after play. Plus he's from Vandy, so you know he's smart.
  • Options
    I live in Nashville and have seen quite a bit of Cutler. The last I saw was that he was projected to go to Det or AZ in the top half of the first round. Being a Titans fan, I'd rather see Cutler here than Leinart at #3. Cutler is 6-4, 230 which makes him bigger and taller than Favre and equal to Leinart. Yet Cutler is at least as quick and mobile as Favre and much quicker than Leinart, which proved necessary with Vandy's brutal O line year after year. He's got a strong arm and from what I can tell, he can make all the throws, which I hope shows through in the combines.

NO will probably take Young at #2. I'd love to see Young at #3 but if not, like I said, I'd prefer Cutler over Leinart. It'll be interesting to see how this all shakes out.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really enjoy following the NFL draft. But the draft is 3 months away yet. There's always these types of rumors flying around this time of year, many of them turn out to be bogus.
  • Options
    I was hoping Cutler would drop to the fins at 17.

If I had any of the top 3 picks in the draft I'd be looking to trade down.
    Reggie Bush is to small imo, no way can he be an every down back in the NFL. Lindell White will turn out to be a better RB than Bush!
    Mat Leinert is going to be Chad Pennington all over, weak ass arm!
    Vince Young while a gifted athlete also won't be an elite QB. The style of play for the Youngs and Vicks don't cut it in the NFL it's pretty much a pocket passers game and always will be. Young could adjust his style more like Donovan McNabb and then maybe we are talking.
  • Options

<< <i>Jay Cutler, Vandy QB, is now... >>

in the Senior bowl

Playing QB for the NORTH team!
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ok, since when did VANDY, an SouthEastern Conference team, Located in Nashville Tennessee, become a member of the North?

damn these new education programs! image

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Looks like teams are finally getting smart and valuing brains over brawn. Lets face it, you don't go to USC cause you have brains! The league
    is complex. Fast guys with no brains, aren't winning any rings these days? (did they ever?)

JS
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like teams are finally getting smart and valuing brains over brawn. Lets face it, you don't go to USC cause you have brains! The league
    is complex. Fast guys with no brains, aren't winning any rings these days? (did they ever?)

JS >>

I've always believed that the speed of NFL defensive players doesn't bode well for running quarterbacks. If a player has that "running mentality" in college, it is probably very difficult to coach it out of him. But there is a bigger problem. I always laugh when a running type quarterback gets injured and the coaches are so "surprised" because the injury didn't even happen on a running play by the quarterback, or the quarterback didn't even get hit. But it's all those huge hits from running which weaken the quarterback's body and then make them much more susceptible to different types of injuries. Sort of like bending your back lifting a lot one day and no injuries occur - but a day or two later you throw your back out while simply tying your shoes - it was the lifting from before which caused the back injury...and all those hits those running quarterbacks incur catches up to them sooner or later.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    As much as Vince Young did some incredible things this year, scrambling quarterbacks are a joke. Pocket passers have proven over and over that they help their teams more. When Michael Vick lives up to even half of the hype that he got, then I'll give a crap about Vince Young's abilities. I would take Leinart any day over Young. If I was a NFL team, I might pick Young early in the draft, but it would be only for trade possibilities.
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭

<< <i> As much as Vince Young did some incredible things this year, scrambling quarterbacks are a joke. >>

Steve McNair was within a yard of winning a superbowl. McNabb went to three straight NFC championships. Vick has been to a NFC championship and was the first QB to ever beat the Pack at Lambeau. Most franchises would take that.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I'll take Dan Marino, Steve Young, Troy Aikman, and a whole host of others before I would take any scrambling quarterback to ever play the game. When running quarterbacks change their game to pocket passing, they elevate their game substantially. Donovan McNabb is a perfect example.
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll take Dan Marino, Steve Young, Troy Aikman, and a whole host of others before I would take any scrambling quarterback to ever play the game. When running quarterbacks change their game to pocket passing, they elevate their game substantially. Donovan McNabb is a perfect example. >>

Steve Young rushed for over 4200 yards and 43 TDs in his career. He was known as a scrambling QB.
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When running quarterbacks change their game to pocket passing, they elevate their game substantially. Donovan McNabb is a perfect example. >>

Did McNabb not running as much make him improve, or is it that the team around him got better (mainly T.O.). Like Southsider said Steve Young was a scrambling quarterback, that ability is an assett that the defense has to account for it also the gives the qb the ability to buy time before making a throw. The greatest play I saw McNabb make last year was in the Dallas monday night game where he scrambled around for about a minute before completing a long bomb.