Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

new ANACS website

The new website is rolled out (www.anacs.com). The price of non-US submissions jumped from $10 to $16 unfortunately. I still have mixed feelings about the new slab (The shape is OK, but the label is UGLY), but I think it is an interesting new direction for the company. Considering the fact that I have more coins in ANACS holders than any other TPG, I hope they do well.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outrageous price considering it is a 30 day NON guaranteed turnaround time. They went from $15 5-day to $16 whenever. None of my coins will going to ANACS and I like the new holders.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I just sent them a nastygram. A 60% price increase on the economy service, and complete elimination of the 5-day express tier for non-U.S. coins.

Looks like NGC from here on out... image
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    Outrageous price considering it is a 30 day NON guaranteed turnaround time. They went from $15 5-day to $16 whenever. None of my coins will going to ANACS and I like the new holders.

Man, you guys are brutal.

Consider those prices probably reflect added customer service staff, processing staff, and additional professional graders as well a relocation, what do you think would be realistic? I'm guessing that their prices will remain fixed for a considerable time.

Something for nothing? Think about the economic realities.

Cheers,

Mac

P.S. I can't wait to send them a test packet to grade. imageimage
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Send them some of the dregs you have lying around, Mac. image You probably have bags and bags of mint state Vickies...image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    What I would like is the same price as the US coins. Or at least the same turnaround time as US coins.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What I would like is the same price as the US coins. Or at least the same turnaround time as US coins. >>

I would think the additional fee is simply because it does take longer to ID/Verify the multitude of Darkside which they or any company receives. Hey, maybe they'll have a fee decrease in the future.image
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭✭
    One of the reasons that most of my coins from my personal collection are in old Anacs slabs, was their small fees and nice holder.It used to be $15 for a (real) 5 day submission and $10 for economy which I never used. I don't like the new slab at all, let alone their fees.

Mac, if Anacs intends to become an equal player with NGC and PCGS, don't you think they should offer some kind of incentive first? Especially when ICG (the best holder IMO) is becoming a better company every day, hiring new experienced graders and with the big advantage of slabbing ancients? Now that kind of attribution takes time, but a common world coin? ...
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Bye Bye ANACS.

(rear view mirror)
  • Options
    Also remember that Anacs has "no membership fees". So, there's some savings right off the top. I have to submit about 40 coins to NGC to make my anual membership fee back in discounts.
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    http://www.anacs.com/Default.aspx?Page=8
    Scroll down to bar code layout, version one and two.
    ANACS uses PCGS numbers?
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just sent them a nastygram. A 60% price increase on the economy service, and complete elimination of the 5-day express tier for non-U.S. coins.

Looks like NGC from here on out... image >>

NGC justy announced price increases. From an email from NGC:

New Fee Structure for Collectors' Society and ANA Members

Effective January 15, 2006, NGC implemented a new fee structure for some of its services.

Fees for Office Walkthrough, Earlybird, GoldRush, Economy, World Express, World Standard and World Gold submissions remain unchanged. Also unchanged are NGC's Designation Review, VarietyPlus and Reholder services.
    Express increases to $55.00
    Specialty Gold increases to $26.75
    Modern increases to $12.50
    World Value changes to $16.50
    NGC's on-site show grading remains unchanged at $100 for coins valued over $1,500 and $65 for those valued at $1,500 or less. However, Gold coins valued at $1,500 or less, when submitted five or more at a time, will be $50 per coin. Guaranteed delivery within four hours of submission at shows may be purchased for an additional $150 per coin under NGC's Expedite Service.

NGC's Photo Proof Service prices remain unchanged at: Deluxe $50, Classic $40, Passport $28. Duplicates of the Deluxe, Classic and Passport are $10 each. The Photo Proof Paradigm is $20 for one copy, $17 for 2 – 10 copies of the same title and $15 for 11 or more of the same title.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I honestly don't submit to TPG's because for most of the coins I buy it is just not cost effective. I also have not purchased any TPG world coins either, simply because I have not won one yet.

But overall, I think that world coin collectors are getting screwed in the midst of this whole across the board price increase by NGC and ANACS and since PCGS doesn't seem to do much with world coins in the first place (no incentives and seemingly no interest in grading darkside material) I would just ship over to ICG. They at least seem hungry for the business and willing to make improvements to their service (from people I have talked to).

I think that the third party grading services are willfully ignoring a large collecting sector by ignoring world coin collectors. Just assuming that people will pay for whatever crappy service you want to provide them is pretty dangerous. In the business world, you end up with a lot of disaffected customers who wake up one day when your competition decides to entice the customers with a deal and they never return.

I have some really nice stuff that I would like to have graded and I won't waste my time sending it in to a service that increases fees then says "Yeah, we'll get that back to you.....whenever."

That's a bunch of crap IMO.

Nick

PS-Anyone with some advice on which service they would use as a first time submitter would be welcome to PM me. I'd like the advice BEFORE I spend a ton of money having coins graded!
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Judging from my own experience, PCGS is moving faster than NGC on world coins right now. image
  • Options

<< <i>Judging from my own experience, PCGS is moving faster than NGC on world coins right now >>

Not mine. Entered 9/14/05 and still no grades.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    $10 - $16 is highway robbery. I have absolutely no incentive to submit to ANACS anymore. In fact, they just made it economical to re-up my PCGS membership. I mean, wasn't worth the money while there was still one reputable grading service charging a reasonable fee to grade foreign coins. Now that they're all robbing world coin collectors equally might as well go with the #1 instead of #3 TPGS. image
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Outrageous price considering it is a 30 day NON guaranteed turnaround time. They went from $15 5-day to $16 whenever. None of my coins will going to ANACS and I like the new holders. >>

I have seen one of the new holders in hand and to me it feels cheap.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Only pic I could find on ebay was with "first strike" labels, but I'm guessing the shape is the same. What purpose does the curved top and bottom serve? At least the curves ICG introduced help you hold the slab. These seem to do nothing other than make ANACS slabs incompatible with existing boxes. image

• Options
    If I'm not mistaken, the curvature has something to do with being able to see the edge of the coin.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    hmmm, well, that's kind of neat for coins with lettering on the edge. I guess that'll be ANACS new niche. The 0.001% of coins with lettering on their edges. image
  • Options
    The US Bust Half Dollars have lettering. I don't know if some of the scarce varieties are attributed from the lettering.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Guess I've been absent a while, 'cause I missed PCGS' new "world modern" tier at $14/coin too. So PCGS is now cheaper than ANACS for some of the coins I planned to submit.

I don't know what those marketing peeps at ANACS are thinking. They're not going to compete effectively this way IMVHO.

• Options
    Well, that did it for me. I just found out PCGS silver level membership is only $50 now. So that's it then. I just paid up and am sending a batch of peruvian coins PCGS' way. Sorry ANACS, you priced yourselves out of the game (for world coins anyway.)
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Eww... icky modern... eww... image

PCGS is discriminating against us Darkside classic collectors! I'll sue, I tell ya!!! image
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    The shape of the new ANACS slab is only meant to draw attention. It fits well enough in PCGS and NGC boxes (just a bit of wiggle), but due to its slightly slimmer design ANACS boxes fit 25 slabs compared to their rivals' 20. The slab fits well in eagle albums as well, which is the true litmus test.

With the prices of ANACS and NGC services on the rise, my next submission is going to PCGS. $14 per coin is a bit much considering that I only collect 1979 crown size coins (most of which cost me less than $14), but what can I say? I gotta have slab.
  • Options
    Well, I'll definitely miss the old holders. But I'm also concerend that this move to differentiate the "new" Miles Standish ANACS from the old ANACS will actually hurt the value of the coins I have in older holders. So, I decided to make my first PCGS submission a crossover and am sending a couple ANACS slabs I just made a few months ago. More money down the crapper, I know, but at least I'll finally have my favorite coins in my favorite slab.

The two PCI green labels and two ANACS going to PCGS this week:

1914-FG Peru Sol PCI MS-62 -- Min Cross AU-58 (monster toned)
    1873-YJ Peru Sol PCI VF-30 -- Min Cross VF-20 (Undervalued rarity, mintage ~3000 pieces, very late die state)
    1934 Peru Sol ANACS MS64 -- Min Cross MS-63 (looks MS-65 to me, but didn't want a DNC)
    1819 Ionian Islands 2 Lepta ANACS MS-62 -- Min Cross MS-62 (surfaces are semi-PL, holder is a "rattler" though.)

Submission cost: $85.60