Options
PCGS and Peg Leg Ikes
There was some discussion a few months ago regarding the possibility of PCGS adding the Peg Leg Ikes to their database. This may apply to the 1971-D RDV006 as well. Is there any word on this? I have some I'm itching to submit!!!!
0
Comments
So, what do you have to submit?
But, it's the thrill of the hunt.....and getting change back from a $5 for the purchase of a "find" that makes it fun. The neat thing about collecting Ikes is that you can, literally, find them anywhere! Flea markets, yard sales, whathaveyou.
For example, recently I found five rolls of 1978-D's that had been stored in tubes for years and years, and they are really gorgeous. I have a PCGS MS66 in my collection that I found in a mint set, and I'm using that to compare. There are about 8 or nine coins in the lot that are pushing that grade really, really hard. I can't wait to see how the do!
BTW, with "peg legs" being found in one form or another in just about every date of Ike's doesn't that hinder the effort to get at least one recognized? I mean, doesn't it open a pandora's box for them if they recognized the 71-S DDO-007, as described in WExler/Flynn and not the others that are being found as well?
Just an opinion but I think the delay has a lot to do with the headaches that await them if they take the punge into "peg legs".
Good luck...and yes, welcome to the message forums, although you have been registered for a year.
I think that not all Peg legs are ACTUAL Die varieties....I think some are the result of die polishing and come in
varying degrees. Yet, to recognize EVERY die variety would be quite cumbersome, to say the least....much like
recognizing EVERY Vam in the Morgan Set.
The BIG question is.....
How is PCGS going to determine which Varieties to add?
I don't know......Maybe by asking some long-time Ike collectors/"experts", or polling the top 20 or 50 (or even all) Ike Variety
Registry set owners, asking die some die expert's opinions (Like Wexler, Crawford and Flynn).
I would do something like all of those three to compile a list and see what die varieties are noteworthy
and/or desireable by the collectors and experts themselves.
Maybe by doing that, PCGS could come up with a Top-10 or Top-5 Variety list and add those to the Ike Variety Registry.
Just a thought......
Brian
I LOVE
JMO........
The name is LEE!
<< <i>
I don't know......Maybe by asking some long-time Ike collectors/"experts", or polling the top 20 or 50 (or even all) Ike Variety
Registry set owners, asking die some die expert's opinions (Like Wexler, Crawford and Flynn).
I would do something like all of those three to compile a list and see what die varieties are noteworthy
and/or desireable by the collectors and experts themselves.
Maybe by doing that, PCGS could come up with a Top-10 or Top-5 Variety list and add those to the Ike Variety Registry.
Just a thought......
Brian
I LOVE
Great ideas Brian! Maybe Big Brother is listening in?!
Maybe a start would be for some of the recognized and respected names in the Ike Dollar arena to offer to assemble a photo database of these coins, so as to get an idea of what the population is. I would be more than happy to send photos of my coins to anyone with the resources to do just that. Besides, wouldn't it be neat to know just what's out there?