Home Sports Talk
Options

Who Are They Now??

Past posters.....I have my suspicions.

Gemmy (OK- not hard to figure)
Big Kid At Heart (I have a theory)
BeachBum (he is slick)

I think they are all here and alive. Post your opinions!
"A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...

Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    if beachbum is still here, LMFAO..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I gotta get me one of them alt id's

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Who is Who?
  • Options
    Who is on first.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    The place just hasn't been the same since Gemmy left. A Spammy by any other name just isn't a Spammy.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gemmy (OK- not hard to figure) - Well he's obviously here. I don't think he's a super big football fan, hence only a few posts now.

Big Kid At Heart (I have a theory) - I think I might know the "theory" and I would agree. Who knows how many alt-ID's MaoTseTung has? (oh, I got the commie name wrong)

BeachBum (he is slick) - was before my time...don't recall him here.

Frankly, I never understood somebody's "need" for alt-ID's and still don't. Unless perhaps someone is attempting to con people out of money.
  • Options
    I don 't recall beach bum either.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>The place just hasn't been the same since Gemmy left. A Spammy by any other name just isn't a Spammy. >>

You make that sound like it's a bad thing.

Does anyone truly miss 20 threads a day about yankee crap? I don't think anyone does.

• Options
    Unless perhaps someone is attempting to con people out of money.

That is a stretch. How in the world does an alt id allow someone to con people out of money?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    <<< How in the world does an alt id allow someone to con people out of money? >>>

Have say five or more alt-ID's each making bets with each other - the alt-ID's stating that they are getting paid by the other alt-ID's. Some "sucker" sees this, figures it's "legitimate" and wants to get in on the action, and then gets taken. The sucker may even get paid off on a few small bets before getting conned out of a large total bet. It's a classic type of con that is used in street gambling games to lure in strangers and occurs sometimes at horse racetracks. The movie "The Sting" illustrated this type of con - The Sting was fictional but was based on classic con games which occur.

Note that I never accused anyone here of this but stated the possibility of it. The possibility is definitely there. Simply never bet money with anyone from an internet forum - for any reason - then you never have to worry about getting conned.

Steve
  • Options
    <<< How in the world does an alt id allow someone to con people out of money? >>>

Also - I have read where this con has happened at a number of internet poker forums. Some supposedly "winning" poker player, so "unfortunately" somehow got his bankroll stolen, and needs money for a buy-in with some tournament, and he'll split the winnings with you. His alt-ID's vouch for him being legitimate. You send him the money and never hear from him again. But guaranteed his alt-ID's will try to become friendly with you in order to down the road, con you again.

Again...never bet or send money to people in an internet forum under these circumstances. Naturally a baseball card transaction is different because you can get scans, etc., to make sure it is legitimate. but as you know with a baseball card transaction, you still have to be careful unless really knowing the other person.

Steve
  • Options
    K Steve I Understand.

I still want one LOL

Steve
    Good for you.