Home Sports Talk
Options

Enough Already With The Challenges!

It's been an interesting experiment, but it's time to dump this rule-change......no more challenges ever!

Comments

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Why? Are you saying the refs always get these calls right? How many challenges turn out to be valid - almost half, I'd say.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    No more challenges?

Refs aren't infallable....the challenges are a good thing.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the challenges are fine. But I would change the "indisputable evidence" portion of the rule. I think too many times the official is 90% certain that the call was wrong, but he can't change is because of the "indisputable evidence" clause. Not sure how to word it, but something along the lines of "what you would rule if you were seeing the play for the first time". Does this sound stupid?
  • Options

<< <i>Why? Are you saying the refs always get these calls right? How many challenges turn out to be valid - almost half, I'd say. >>

Spoken like a true child of the gaming generation.....where is it written that referees, unlike players, should be infaillible? Errors are a part of the game, I say let 'em stand....just make a call and live or die with it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Why? Are you saying the refs always get these calls right? How many challenges turn out to be valid - almost half, I'd say. >>

Spoken like a true child of the gaming generation.....where is it written that referees, unlike players, should be infaillible? Errors are a part of the game, I say let 'em stand....just make a call and live or die with it. >>

Until a play goes against the giants then you'd be saying 'off with their heads!'

We have the technology to make better calls than the refs can by themselves, and I sure as hell want the right call being made (especially in the postseason).

• Options

<< <i>Spoken like a true child of the gaming generation.....where is it written that referees, unlike players, should be infaillible? Errors are a part of the game, I say let 'em stand....just make a call and live or die with it. >>

I agree with Ax. Why do errors have to be part of the game, anyway? This isn't 1960, it's 2006 - and I am sure everyone would agree that a game called correctly, with no errors or bad calls for either side, is the game that you want to see. This "human element" argument holds no water. How does having a bad call remain in place make for a better game?

Remember, the television cameras that are all over the stadium are going to expose the truth, and fans are going to see it at home or at the stadium. A bad call will not stay hidden, so might as well deal with them the right way.
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree with Ax. Why do errors have to be part of the game, anyway? >>

Because correcting them takes WAY TOO much time. It ruins the continuity of the game. My solution would be if a play has to reviewed let a ref in the booth do it quickly, why does the field ref have to go look at a mini tv for two minutes? Otherwise just get rid of the instant replays.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree with Ax. Why do errors have to be part of the game, anyway? >>

Because correcting them takes WAY TOO much time. It ruins the continuity of the game. My solution would be if a play has to reviewed let a ref in the booth do it quickly, why does the field ref have to go look at a mini tv for two minutes? Otherwise just get rid of the instant replays. >>

And the incessant TV timeouts don't take away from the continuity? I'd think a majority of fans are in favor of getting as many plays possible called correctly.

• Options

<< <i>And the incessant TV timeouts don't take away from the continuity? I'd think a majority of fans are in favor of getting as many plays possible called correctly. >>

They do, but those aren't going away. Replays don't keep the refs from getting blamed anyway, so who cares about 3 extra plays.
  • Options

<< <i>Because correcting them takes WAY TOO much time. It ruins the continuity of the game. >>

Sorry, I don't think that is reason enough to get rid of replays. I don't like it when the game slows down either, but I would rather they take the extra time and get the calls right. You have to allow the refs a minute or two to really watch all the replay angles, or else why bother?
  • Options

<< <i>You have to allow the refs a minute or two to really watch all the replay angles, or else why bother? >>

So then why can't they do my suggestion of having them so reviews from the booth. They already decide if a replay is necessary from booth in the last two minutes. Why not have a ref up there who makes the call? You've just saved a minute from having the field ref run over to the camera put on his headphones and watch what the booth is already looking at.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually I think challenges are great for the game. A blown call is probably the worst way to lose a game, this somewhat prevents that from happening.
  • Options

<< <i>So then why can't they do my suggestion of having them so reviews from the booth. They already decide if a replay is necessary from booth in the last two minutes. Why not have a ref up there who makes the call? You've just saved a minute from having the field ref run over to the camera put on his headphones and watch what the booth is already looking at. >>

I don't really disagree with this - just as long as the coaches still have the ability to ask for a certain number of replays a game, just like they do now. There must be a reason when the rule was invented, that the on-field officials were more involved in the replay process, but I actually can see the booth official perhaps having a better view of the play than the official "under the hood".
  • Options
    I can't believe some people enjoy bad calls. Challenges are here to stay in the NFL and instant replay in NCAA football. I wish MLB would allow instant replay - for every blown call, the ump should be fined, that would get them off their high horse pretty damn fast...
  • Options
    The Polamalo interception.....the refs took what?.......5 full minutes and they still got it wrong? Either that or they didn't have the cojones to make the correct call in the other guy's building. Either way, If that wasn't an interception, then I'm a prima ballerina!