Home Sports Talk
Options

Prediction for NCAA Basketball champs?

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
Last year I picked Illinois. This year Villanova and Duke both look great. My pick to win is Villanova. Three of my four final four picks are Duke, Villanova, Illinois. I will add a fourth sometime later.

What teams are your favorites to win it all and make the final four?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    end of this month i will no better!

right now ill pick 1 final 4 team. PITT
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    I'll stick with Illinois. I know there chances aren't anywhere what they were last year but I refuse to pick against them.
  • Options
    Nova has really impressed me - they win it all.

Other final four:

Puke is obvious

and two of these five texas, washington, uconn, memphis, michigan state
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be fantastic to see a Big 5 Philadelphia area school do it.
  • Options
    Its early but...

Duke
    UConn
    Nova
    Fla

• Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    The ACC will have huge representation this year. Hard to pick against Duke. I hope my favourite team, N.C. State can overcome that brutal last 3 minutes yesterday against Carolina as they have a tough schedule ahead. I would wait until the Conference tournaments to make any picks.
  • Options
    nova and illionis were both upset this weekend. Both are pretenders.
  • Options
    This isn't college football guys, no one goes undefeated!
  • Options
    I thought UConn would be a contender, but they got exposed by Marquette and LSU in their last 2 games!!

Duke's probably the team to beat, but they do not appear dominating (nearly lost to Va. Tech). Overall, it looks wide open this year!! Look for a 24-9 team to get hot in the tourney and win it all this year.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it definitely won't be Kentucky. They got spanked by Kansas last week for Tubby's worst loss ever. They are out of the top 25 for the first time in years. Oh well, there's always next year.

Shane

• Options
    F-L-O-R-I-D-A
  • Options
    I picked them in last year's preseason thread and
    they started 20-0. I'll stick with them again this year.

2006 NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - BOSTON COLLEGE !!!!
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options
    I too like Villanova...don't discount Arizona - IMHO Lute might be in the top 5 underated coaches ever...in any sport...sorry honey (see attached,I hope)...wait 'til next year....imagewww.ukhockey.com/images/ posters/ashley_judd.jpg
    www.ukhockey.com/images/ posters/ashley_judd.jpg
    "Going to bed with a woman never hurt a ballplayer.It's staying up all night looking for them that does you in." - Casey Stengel
  • Options
    I want to make sure I understand this... Illinois looses once this year and they lost all of two games last year and RANDYMOSS84 calls them pretenders?image

yea... right...

• Options
    Illinois 79 Michigan 74... Illinois is now 16-1 this year after following a 38-2 season last year. 54-3 is mostlikely the best record of NCAA Division I teams for both years combined...

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Illinois lost again. They would not be a pick to make the final 4.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

<< <i>I picked them in last year's preseason thread and
    they started 20-0. I'll stick with them again this year.

2006 NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - BOSTON COLLEGE !!!! >>

4 Losses already!! Welcome to the ACC (of course they would have lost just as many in the Big East)!!

At least they handled mighty Holy Cross!!
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    I am biased towards Northern Iowa but I have to say Dukeimageimageimage
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    i doubt arizona will be a contender this year. take a look at what happened a few years ago when they had their last senior outflux....ryan anderson and loren woods gradauted....making an elite eight team into a 2nd round loss team. with frye and stoudamire graduating..and, as in 2 years ago with no real senior presence to fill in that void (igoudala...had he stayed with the cats, would have filled that void...along with charlie villanueva had he stuck with his intial decision to sign with arizona)...the team will make the ncaa tournament and then lose in the first or second round. hassan adams ia good player...and they have a lot of good young players....but not enough to make the team a serious contender.

• Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Of course a little personal bias, but they are always given little credit, and consistently show up... Michigan State will be right back there this season.
  • Options
    Michigan State is a good Tournament team... they could make the final 4 and they usually manage to peak at the best times.

Edited to add: yes... I am aware of the fact that Illinois has lost two games this season and it is likely they will loose 2-3 more before their season ends. Having said that... only loosing 4-5 games would still be an outstanding season.

• Options
    While neither would go far in the tourney (if they even get there), but tonight's Maryland at GT game should be good.... 73-69 GT image
  • Options
    pathetic is an understatement... it's going to be a looooong year
  • Options
    GT is usually tougher at home and has been tough with Maryland at home in recent years.

• Options
    The reason I thought GT would win was largely due to Maryland's leading scorer, McCray, being dismissed. GT's home court advantage has diminished... partially because of fair-weathers not showing up, but also the student ticket process is now a pain in the ass. That being said, looking at GT's schedule, I think they may only win 1 more ACC game the rest of the season.
  • Options
    Louisville has nothing to worry about anymore. Should make it rough on the better teams though.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I do not figure any team from the Big 10 is going to win it all, after beating eachother up for the season. I will give my prediction for Texas as Champs.

Stingray
  • Options
    I remain of the view that at least one Big Ten team will make the final four...

• Options
    66-51 in Madison... a very tough place to win.

• Options

<< <i>66-51 in Madison... a very tough place to win. >>

Yeah, it seems like until that game, no one was winning on the road in the Big 10.

Man did GT get hosed yesterday - GT tips the ball in to break the 62-62 tie and take a 64-62 lead with 0.5 sec left. The ref calls an over the back foul, takes the 2 away, and puts VT on the line - giving them the game.

Looking forward to tonight's Duke @ BC. Breathe if you hate Duke!
  • Options
    Duke-BC should be interesting but I don't think you will like my prediction.

• Options
    BC +5 image
  • Options

<< <i>I remain of the view that at least one Big Ten team will make the final four... >>

Well, you have good odds considering that as many as 7 teams could be in the tourney. I still dont think Illinois will make it...if i had to bet, it would be michigan state.

<< <i>I do not figure any team from the Big 10 is going to win it all, after beating eachother up for the season. I will give my prediction for Texas as Champs. >>

That's what makes teams stronger....getting great competition that allows you to be ready in the tourney. besides the big east, the big ten is loaded with tough schools. they dont have a team that really jumps out at you, but they have a ton of good teams that could easily run through most teams from other conferences. and i dont think texas will be the champs. solid team with a good front court, but 1.) their conference is weak and 2.) as much as i like gibson, i think they need better guard play. but they did have a good out of conference schedule...take away the 2 losses, they've beaten some pretty darn good teams. if they do win it all, that's a trifecta for them...baseball, football and basketball.
  • Options
    As I already saeid Michigan State is a great tournament team... Illinois just may feel and think that they have alittle unfinished business to complete... I would not bet against either in terms of making it to the final four...

• Options
    well, I didn't see that one coming... 66-65 loss to Penn State...

• Options
    UConn @ Nova should be a great game
  • Options
    It seems that a number of the highly rated teams have had their share of nights/days when they chose not to show up...

Nova could do it... as we have seen for the past two weeks, stranger things have happened and March is still two weeks away

• Options
    Who is Bucknell?? And why are they currently shooting better than Dick Cheaney???? image
    "Going to bed with a woman never hurt a ballplayer.It's staying up all night looking for them that does you in." - Casey Stengel
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    George Washington Colonials!
  • Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    UConn
  • Options
    ILL

INI

• Options

<< <i>I am biased towards Northern Iowa >>

I am too now - I put $5 on them to win $25,000; I could use a new car image
  • Options
    What makes March Madness what it is relates to the question of who is hot and who is not... and the real problem is that there is parity and on any given day... anything can happen and that is what makes it what it is... fun. I can tell you which team would be my fourth pick, but that may change before the tournament

• Options
    I think Ohio State is playing as well as anyone and I think they could make the final 4 and they are my fourth pick

• Options
    augustamanaugustaman Posts: 583 ✭✭
    Hey Coinhusker -

Ready to give BC their props yet?????
    He who laughs last.........

My post - Jan 10
    His post - Jan 18
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    A big east team will win. I like UConn
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    You have to like Syracuse now also, maybe to the Sweet 16 anyway, based on their great run through the Big East.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Coinhusker -

Ready to give BC their props yet?????
    He who laughs last.........

My post - Jan 10
    His post - Jan 18 >>

I don't even remember what I posted. I guess the ACC had to rob the Big East for basketball teams as well, or only 3 ACC teams would have made it.

NCAA Bids:

Big East - 8
    ACC - 4

F$U in NIT - that is Not In the Tournament!! image