Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Showing off your collection

Do you display any of your cards or memorabilia? If so, how do you do it? Do you have a "special" display cabinet, shelf, or whatever? I'm also an amateur woodworker and I've been trying to come up with a design to build so that I can properly display some of my most treasured items. I've got to come up with something better than this: image (an available shelf near my computer desk with items that I've gotten over the last two months)

<< image >>

Comments

• I built this over the summer - good for graded cards

• GreatCorn, that's nice! I'm going to do two or three like that for just cards. I'm just tired of storing them in the closet or boxes. If they are out where they can be seen, I'll enjoy them a lot more. (Nice job on the woodworking too.)
    << image >>
  • I do it the old fashioned way....disorganized and cluttered.

Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    thats a sweeeet setup
  • Duner, that reminds me of my pad....pre-marriage lol, still have my stuff but not all over like the good old days.....
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    geaux LSU!

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • very nice duner!!!
    << image >>
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Mine are hidden away so as to not allow the wife to actually see what i have. How could I <sic> about all the shoes she has if she knew? J/K

Actually they are all over the damn place and I have to get a handle on it. My new year's resolution is to not buy anymore cards until this is doen.

BRB I have to go and bid on a card.
    Good for you.

• << <i>Mine are hidden away so as to not allow the wife to actually see what i have. How could I <sic> about all the shoes she has if she knew? J/K >>

Actually the picture of mine is just what's come in lately. I've been putting it out to just kind of test the limits. image I want to see how much I can get before she says something. image (so far, so good)
    << image >>
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Duner,

I LOVE the goal line auto's and HOF football rookie cards. I really like how you have displayed your goal line art cards - I may have to do the same. Where did you find the frame they're displayed in?

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • dunerduner Posts: 625
    Greg I just went to the local frame shop for the goal line frame....I think it was $110, and it's all acid free and there's special corner tabs on the cards to hold them in so that they wouldn't be damaged.

lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Believe it or not there used to be more stuff, it used to be worse. The boxes in the middle actually went to the ceiling. It's a work in progress...

Those are 1/24 scale Ertls on the shelf, mostly various Mopars. I hope to get some showcase to hang on the wall for them this year so I can display them.

The white boxes on the shelf above the TV are Franklin Mint cars, again, going to get some showcases. Remote control boat on the top shelf was in the water once, and almost sank. Going to get it up and running one of these days. Of course, the only time I had it out on the water was back in 1990/1991. And a bunch of binders full of baseball cards mostly, alphabetical order. And the new printer I just got the other day that is already getting buried...

The center of it all, where I spend hours upon hours of my life. Next to the chair on the floor is the HOF autograph collection and slabbed stuff. Probably going to have to take down the Ronnie Reagan 2005 calender and get something a little more up to date...

My current project is clearing out the 3000 Hot Wheels and other die-cast cars on the shelf. Not too bad considering that I used to have another 3000 or so cars unopened that I got rid of between 2004 and 2005. These should be funding my next few HOF autograph purchases I hope...

The other corner, after the cars will come the Legos. The stack of Rubbermaid containers in the back corner are full of them, and there is another stack in back of those. Something like 12-14 eleven gallon containers of the little pieces.

The middle of the room, used to be worse with the boxes reaching the ceiling. I seriously want to get this cleared out to make room for an air hockey table or shuffle board table.

And the vintage couch that nobody can sit on, nor would they want to sit on it even if it was cleared off. Very uncomfortable, but I can't let it go just yet. Stingrays Donkey Kong purchase inspired me to dig out my old Coleco Frogger last week in my mom's attic. Oh year, I have more stuff at mom's still...

I should have taken pictures before to use as a reference point. Maybe I'll dig this up next New Years day to see what kind of progress I made.
  • Holy Crap, Batman!!!! That's a lot of .......... Stuff!!!

Thanks, brumbach - I feel better now. image
    << image >>
  • eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    You have gotta be single brombach....image

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Nope, married with a very loving and patient wife. This is the basement, the rest of the house is normal. But yeah, the bulk of the stuff was purchased when I was single. No way I could bring all of this crap into the house now.
  • jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    Kevin Maas..the next coming of Don Mattingly. Well, at least they have one thing in common. Neither one of them will be HOF'ers.
  • EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Is that before or after an earthquake Brom?
    Awesome! image
  • KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Nice displays guys.. duner yours is a 10 out of 10 nice job, looks great!
    Nice mess Brum! image Legos are great.

Here's what my little display looks like currently. Other stuff which isn't much is in shoe boxes.

• JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    My little sports room....

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    Brumbach, you are my hero.

This is something I came up with that was a fast and cheap way to diplay cards that are graded, in screw downs or just in top loaders. It is square stock from Lowe's. It's sold next to the dowel rods. The concept is very simple.

Knuckles, I love the '56 Mantle. I'm sending a similar one to PSA this week.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • I don't know jasp....that looks a little too neat and organized to be a guys room.
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Actually the pictures were taken when we first moved in last year...I wish it could stay that organized...lol

I moved from a 1500 ft. townhouse in DC to a 3000 SQ ft house in Texas, so I like having open the uncluttered space...I try to keep everything on the walls so I have plenty of room to stretch my feet (or play some indoor nerf football with the kids..)

Your set up doesnt look unorganized at all Duner...And Greg is right on the Goal Line Art frame...That is SWEET...Very good idea..

Jason

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Duner

Nice set btw. I was looking at all the pics. thanks for sharing and congrats on the completion.

Early bowman cards are my favorites. baseball, football and non sports of 51 and 52 especially.

Steve

As much as it pains me, I'll have to get rid of it in a few months to pay for my first semester of law school....so keep your eyes posted on eBay. Geaux Tigers! --John Korduner --------------------THE END

Keep the cards, get a student loan?

Good luck
    Good for you.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Brumbach, I"m sure you can get EPA superfund cleanup money for that one!

This is the display I used to have-it's gone away now, to a dark box at BofA.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Brumbach ...that its really something else..lol

Cool packs griff...are the fatima boxes unopened as well?

what type of comments do you guys get when people visit?

I keep all my stuff in a small fireproof safe ...not so much for the value but for protection against flooding and fire. I got it last year after like 5 hurricanes in a row.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Great stuff guys thanks and PLEASE keep em comeing!! Jeff
    Always Buying & Collecting 1957 Topps Baseball 1914 cj,s 1978 bb and any Hof bb
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    Great pictures! Thanks for sharing. I keep some posters, jerseys (none valuable) on the walls but am scared to put up cards. Theft for one as my locked safe seems like a safer place for my good cards but also I worry about sun/light damage to the cards. Does anybody else worry about that? I know my Larry Allen jersey has been on the wall, in a nice frame, and I now can barely read the autograph. Am worried about similar effects on my cards.
  • Griffins....OH MY what a thing of beauty!
    www.LloydWTaylor.com
    Vintage Baseball Cards
    Sales and Ebay Consignment Service
    email
    Lloyd_Taylor_Vintage_Cards -- on Ebay
  • Duner - That room is awesome!! nuff' said I think you get my point ; )
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • dstudebadstudeba Posts: 215 ✭✭

<< <i>

This is the display I used to have-it's gone away now, to a dark box at BofA.

>>

I can only imagine the collection B of A has; all of my best cards are there too. image
    Search and Track Auctions Automatically

Collectable
  • Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Arch: Awesome Pirate cards! I'm a sucker for those old unis and caps.

Griffins: What a collection! How long did it take you to build it?

Robert
  • Not a sports collection room as much as I would call it the living room...

Never fear! He likes Favre more than I do, so he is OK with it. LOL

• Wow - great stuff all around. It's really nice to see that not everything is stuffed away in a dark closet. image Thanks for everyone posting.

I wonder what kind of display BofA could put together... hmmm image
    << image >>
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Griff, there are some great packs there - wish I could see them better.

And, everyone look at the empties - there's some gems there!!!!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
    Jas, Arch and Knucks - very nice.

But Brum - now I don't feel so bad - I'm in the organization/framing phase but have no money right now.

Plus, I don't have a camera - I'm gonna have to get some advice from Griff and come up with something user friendly - so when my stuff is on the walls/floor - I can do my "virtual" walk thru.

You guys have done a great job!! BTW, BKAH posted stuff he had last year and looked really nice.

Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Most my card collection is neatly stored away in my vault, Theres no place to show off my collection in my office. I have too much Star Wars stuff... enjoy.

Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Wow Jery, incredible collection!
    Mike

Jery
    Who built the set? That's off the chart! The best I have ever seen!!!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • The idea was taken from another collection, I thought it was a great idea and used it for my collection. Took about a month to build.
    To think this is where all my money goes, ever since episode 1 released.
    Before Star Wars it was Star Trek, heres a photo taken in 1996

Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    here is a peice i created that i thought i would sell.. but i got out of the biz! but i think its pretty cool.
    source looks like it comes from ebay but i just load my pics on ebay and dont sell these. just use ebay to show my pics.. anyway let me know if you guys like this?

is that your office the star wars pictures are in? i have been to chicago museum of science and industry and the star wars "game-used" masks and suits and scale-to-life models aren't as nicely presented as your stuff jim!!!!

that is truly insane, do you have the original star wars little action figures and the like? i remember my friend's mom saving all those action figures, light sabers and the jet cruiser thingy's and putting them away when we were kids. i bet those things fetch a pretty penny these days?

thanks for sharing, that is simply incredible.

Julen
    RIP GURU
    grrr
    RIP GURU
    i hate teknawlogy

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Meathook's pad:

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Star Wars display is nothing short of incredible. image

I wish I had one room that I could use to display my Nolan Ryan stuff. Unfortunately I don't so it mostly sits in boxes. image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
    meathook is that andro next to the hammermill boxes?

i hope not b/c the psa drug testing peepz are already on a flight from john wayne airport to your crib. i hope you read all the dotted lines and such regarding your membership and banned substances?

even as collectors we have to provide some level of integrity in keeping our hobby clean.

get it together man!!

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • (Picks his jaw up off the floor after seeing that Star Wars display). Wow!!

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I built this over the summer - good for graded cards

image >>

When I finish my 2001 Atomic Prism Football Patch Variation set, that's how I want to display the cards. Until then, they'll sit in a box inside of a huge rubbermaid tub with the rest of my stuff image

Tabe
  • KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Wow, nice displays guys.

Jery, yours is freak'n unreal. Outstanding job, my wife would divorce me if I did that to even the basement. image

(edited to add if we had a basement) image