Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Experimenting with buying a few raw coppers... feedback wanted.

Taking that giant leap from buying slabs to buying raw. On top of that, buying on the Bay based on auction pics. A dicey proposition, but hey, ya gotta have a little excitement in life, right? image

I won the 3 halfpence below. Seller has 99.7% feedback, and the pics look to be of decent quality. The descriptions are the seller's.

I'd appreciate any and all feedback on any missteps I may have taken, or novice pitfalls to be on the lookout for.
  1. "British 1/2 Penny 1889 UNC Trace Lustre." Krause XF = $26, UNC = $125. I paid $26. Looks a bit splotchy, but quite a strong strike.

imageimage

2. "British 1/2 Penny 1885 UNC Good Lustre." Krause XF = $30, UNC = $125. I paid $40. Nice amount of red; hard to tell details from the pic. Looks to be a softer strike than the other two, or there's some hidden wear.

imageimage

3. "British 1/2 Penny 1853 Choice UNC." Krause XF = $22, UNC = $90. I paid $78. This one caused me the most angst, as it is the most expensive. Some potential issues on the base of the obverse bust, but I just love the toning! Looks to be a nice strike too.

imageimage

Comments

• wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    I disagree with the comment about the pictures. Given what I have seen on this forum they simply aren't that good.

The first coin - Spink VF = £4, EF = £45, BU = £140. My take is EF (until in hand and looking at your very nice pictures) and that you got a good price. The coins from this era are not well struck as a rule, so if it looks like wear it may not be...

The second coin - Spink EF = £35, BU = £140. The strike is very weak so will have to be checked closely. At $40 you have a very nice piece, though.

The third coin - EF = £25, BU = £95. Check to see if you picked up the 3/2 variety, which is worth much more. That piece has the most promise, looking to have some nice underlying lustre and UNC details. It's a definite bargain as long as there is an absence of hairlines!!

Good luck!!

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
    I see that bidkid9 is selling good stuff again. He had a long layoff there.
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I disagree with the comment about the pictures. Given what I have seen on this forum they simply aren't that good. >>

You're right. I should have said "the pics look to be of decent quality compared with the vast majority found on Ebay." The crowd here is capable of and expects sooooooooo much more. image
    Bidkid9 used to have really good pictures - I don't know why there was a change (or maybe I do).

He's one of the fastest shippers on ebay - you'll like his service.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent coins, the last two look almost certain MS to me if submitted, I don't know about the first one.I'd give the second one a 63RB from the photo which means that you practically got it for free if you look at the prices that wybrit posted and a 63BN to the third. But I'd rather wait for your photos, I hope you won't be disappointed. As for bidkid, I bought coins from him before, he doesn't deal exclusively with British. He's a good seller, but I wish he wouldn't use the BU term so easily, I tend to not take his grades very seriously.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I immediately recognised the pictures as bidkid9's.

I agree with wybrit - it's good to see him selling better coins again - it has been quite awhile since I even looked at his listings.
    BTW, I am another very satisfied buyer from bidkid9. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm