Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts on a coin at auction???

I've seen it, and the reverse is spectacular! I'm not going for it but what do you think about this one?image
image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Comments

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    hard for me to say without viewing it in person, I need a Antietam for my set....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    As usual the Heritage images don't do this coin justice. I take you at your word that the reverse is all there but I think the reserve may be set a bit too high. My guess is it doesn't sell.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    It sure does look like a very pretty coin. I sure wish I could afford something like that. It looks so very colorful.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Looks like an awesome coin but overpriced in my opinionimage Whatever the market will bear I guessimage
  • Options
    The obverse of that coin does nothing for me and the reserve appears to be quite optimistic.
  • Options
    Edit - duplicate post.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    am i missing something here? Past sales on an anti in pcgs 67 plastic is just over 2k, but reserve on this is 6k+image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    A very cool Sharpsburg! I would love to have one. I don't know why the mint mispelled Sharpsburg and called it Antietam.

This particular example I do not care for, but in general, this is an espcially nice design.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does nothing for me.As far as eye appeal.
    Al
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the photo I would have to say: nothing special.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭
    Negative, the toning is all Dark and one color....Where is the rainbow?? image

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gary
    You have to wait for a sunset,than look at it againimage

Al
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What caused that toning pattern?

My first thought was that another, smaller coin was held to it with a rubber band. But then the obverse would show a similar negative space, unless there were others in the stack.

What else?
  • Options

<< <i>What caused that toning pattern?

>>

Tab tonming from an original shipping card.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    That commem comes very nice...that coin is so so for the issue...wait for a better one.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    The obverse toning is only average, for those that like toning. The reverse toning is indeed worth a premium. The obverse shows its share of marks for the MS67 grade, and the bridge is weakly struck.

Overall, I think PCGS hit the grade right, and the coin is worth $1200-1300.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    Looks to be a nice, originally toned gem++, with some color. Probably worth $2kish-$2500, max.

The reserve is insane, in my opinion, but I'm not a huge fan of the coin.

Again, from images.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Wow a reserve of $6700 for a $1500 coin at best. What am I missing? Coin is nice but not that nice.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    a nothing obverse and a crazy price

kind of like a one legged man in an a** kicking contest and someone is betting the farm on him

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file