Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

what coin would a non-collector..........

...............recognize as a rare coin?The 1943 copper penny comes to mind.

Comments

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I would probably say Seated material as that was likely never seen by any non collector.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    any bust gold screams to me rare and cool.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...............recognize as a rare coin?The 1943 copper penny comes to mind. >>

there has been 4 non collectors that I have dealt with and they all mention the 1955 Double Die cent.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    It depends on what you consider recognition. I think most people would not recognize a 1943 copper sent has been rare or precious. But I bet if you showed them a 1955 doubled die cent and I'm sure they would know that that was very rare. Or the famous Washington - Sacajawea mule quarter. I think most non-collectors would need something very evident and very obvious to be able to see that it is not a normal production coin.
  • Options
    I got a coin blog geared towards non-collectors and the number one question is

I found a 1944 penny is it valuable? I get this question 5 or 6 times a day.

After that it's 1943 "silver" penny, I have only once been asked about a 1943 copper.

Most non-collectors only think WWII era coins are collectable.
    Or as nwcs mentioned high profile mint errors.
  • Options
    Don't forget the early 1880s Morgan dollars from San Francisco. Most people think those are worth a heck of a lot of money even when vastly worn. After all is from the 1800s! Although every once in awhile you do get surprised. One friend of mine showed me some coins and while most of them were quite common there actually were several Carson City mint morgans that while worn were actually quite nice and worth at least a couple hundred bucks. It sure was nice to tell them they had something worth more than $15.
  • Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    EVERYONE loves the "55 DDO.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    And of course most people or at least familiar with 1937 3 legged buffalo. Although I tend to doubt that people could actually pick it out if shown to them without someone pointing it out.
  • Options
    Probaby the number of most recognized, at least by description or name, is the 1913 V Nickel closely followed by the 43 copper cent. However most of them would not recognize them if they saw them. On the other hand most every non-collector seeing a pre-1900 Morgan dollar will think it's rare.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    larger demonination gold coins pre 1900
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    It amazes me how many people have never seen a gold coin period and had no idea that the mint even produces them now. I would have to say that anything gold goes.
  • Options
    The 1933 Double Eagle comes to mind. It's been in the news often enough, and I've had non-collectors ask me what I thought about the stories.
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options

<< <i>The 1933 Double Eagle comes to mind. It's been in the news often enough, and I've had non-collectors ask me what I thought about the stories. >>

Yep, same here. That and the 1913 nickel seem to be the most famous. The copper 1943 cent comes in a consistent third, I'd think.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>It amazes me how many people have never seen a gold coin period and had no idea that the mint even produces them now. I would have to say that anything gold goes. >>

The Mint does not produce gold coins, hasn't in over 70 years. Those eagles are masquerading as coins.

The two coins most likely to be recognized by non-collectors as valuable are the 1955 DDO cent and the 1913 Liberty nickel. I do not agree with the 1943 copper cents. Sure, some people have read a news story on them, but the vast majority of non-collectors today would probably choose the steelie as the valuable one if they were placed side by side.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Every non-collector I know will bring out a bunch of circulated coins and think they all are rare. Most fell just because it's old that it's very collectable and rare even in Fine condition. Then you have the HSN crowd that gets their coins because of all the hype of the rare modern coins that are limited editionsimage
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Morgans - I'm sure everybody has a relative who found some Morgans in the back of a drawer and they think they hit the jackpot/
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And of course most people or at least familiar with 1937 3 legged buffalo. Although I tend to doubt that people could actually pick it out if shown to them without someone pointing it out. >>

''

That coin was actually mentioned in an episode of My Wife and Kids.
  • Options
    All my non collector friends know about the '09-S VDB Cent. The '55 double die is a close second.

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All my non collector friends know about the '09-S VDB Cent. The '55 double die is a close second. >>

Why the '09-s VDB cent over everything else? I don't know, but it comes up in conversation far more often than any other single coin.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Fifty years ago, it would be the 1913 Liberty Nickel, hands down, due to B Max Mehl's extensive advertising.

Today, probably the 1933 Saint.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No question----The 55 DDO Lincoln
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Non collectors I've bumped into..... think coin collectors go through change all day looking for some needle in a haystack.They don't know the US ever had gold coins. Nor can they understand the depreciation a rare coin will have, when compared to the very same coin in Uncirculated Gem.
    GTS

Edited by GTS because i'm stupid
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979

<< <i>Morgans - I'm sure everybody has a relative who found some Morgans in the back of a drawer and they think they hit the jackpot/ >>

I agree with Barry on this one! That's my opinion also. Morgan's are the epitome of a "rare" coin to non-collectors.

Any Saint wil probably seem rare, recognized by the popularity of the '33.

Some dabblers may also know of the 1909 S VDB cent also.

Other old coinage will probably be more unrecognized rather than considered rare by most non-collectors.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>there has been 4 non collectors that I have dealt with and they all mention the 1955 Double Die cent. >>

image That's probably one on the top of the list.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On the other hand most every non-collector seeing a pre-1900 Morgan dollar will think it's rare. >>

Yep, I was going to say the same thing. Even 1943 steel cents are assumed to be rare by 90+% of non-collectors.

Among "knowledgable" non-collectors, the 1909-S VDB could be considered a candidate. Of course, you've now got to define "rare".

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    I agree that just about any non collector would know about the 55DD Cent. Just wonder what a person would say about a coin with BC after the date?
    Carl
  • Options
    being as immersed in the hobby as most here are, we sometimes think that the general public knows more about coins than they do.

I have shown some relatives of mine worn buff nicks and indianhead pennies and all they ask is "WOW! How much is that worth?!" They have heard of these coins but have actually never seen them.

So, I would think that for the most part, the "general public" has heard of and is familiar with a Buffalo Nickel.

Years ago, I thought the 43 cents were rare - now I own many of them both in Gem and circ.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>Morgans - I'm sure everybody has a relative who found some Morgans in the back of a drawer and they think they hit the jackpot/ >>

Definitely. I have had a few non-collectors ask me to appraise their cache of rare silver dollars only to find well-circulated common ones. One woman I used to work with showed me hers, essentially a handful of 1921-P in VG to VF. Then she pulled out her treasure. She thought I would be amazed that an 1887-P, over 100 years old, existed and hadn't been reduced to dust over the elapsed century. The hard part is telling them what they are worth. "Well, they have kept up with inflation."
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that most of the answers on this thread are over-thinking the question. There isn't a chance in the world that someone would even know what a 1909-SVDB was, let alone recognize it as valuable. Same for most of the other suggestions.

I do agree with the 1943 copper cent and the 1955 DDO. That's mostly due to those pieces having had excellent press over the last 30-40 years.

My vote would be for a Spanish colonial gold piece, preferably hammered. Everyone recognizes pirate treasure!

jonathan
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Most non-collectors think any pre-1986 gold coin is rare when they see them.
    David
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    i think the`55 ddo 1c and 3-legged buffalo 5c about the most universally known `rare` coins imo
    but not to anyone halfway in the know about coins...then its the `13 V 5c, `33 xxeagle 1877 ihc.....`16d 10c,. `69 ah pf69dcam 50c.....image
  • Options
    .<i>.............recognize as a rare coin?The 1943 copper penny comes to mind. </i>

I'm not sure they would be able to tell the difference between old and rare myself!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to impress a non-collector, show them an ancient coin and tell them how old it is. Then tell them that similar coins can be purchased for only a few dollars.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file