Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Barber Collectors Opinions **Updated with purchase & pic**

TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
Was at the store today looking for my typical VG Halves and Quarters for my sets.....

The guy busted out a AU-58 1912-P Half with very nice eye appeal.... $300 for that.....

Also in the stash was a 1914-D Dime graded AU with nice blue toning for $60.....

I am thinking I should go back and get at least the dime.....

Thoughts from my fellow collectors.....

No pics, but if I get them I can take some.....
Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves

Comments

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't go wrong with nice AU barber stuff even though those are somewhat available. The half is a better 'deal' if it's a true 58 -IMO.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Nice AU Barbers are tough and desireable. In some cases they may be as tough as MS examples. Both appear to be good coins as long as they are not cleaned and have good appearance. Are they 3d party graded by PCGS or NGC?

If not be careful as a lot of raw coins have been cleaned and it takes a lot of experience to be able to detect sometimes. Good luck.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    buy the au 58 half if it is truly greatly lusterous and 58 and with above average eye appeal

pass on the dime

i bet more than likely the half will be sold before you get back there to buy it
  • Options
    He is open on monday if I want it..... It was not out it was "in the back".....

They are not certified, they where from a type set which he purchased.....

The dime appeared to have nice original toning, not really concerned about that one being cleaned.....

The Half was pretty lusterous and with a few second look did not appear to have any ware on it.....

Thanks for the opinions.....

Any others.....
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be very, very careful. The coins may have been cleaned and retoned. Cleaned and retoned are not what the market wants.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Only the dime is toned, the Half has not.....
  • Options
    If you're not sure of the originality of the half, for another $75.00 to $100.00, you could pick up a nice, certified, common date, AU Barber half, thru a dealer or at a coin show.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Wait for certified coins.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    I agree w/ the caution of the previous posts. It is a steep, and potentially expensive, learning curve from VG to the AU gradess--and since you posted here for opinions, you must care about value, resale, investment risk to some degree.--not just you really like how they look. If you're like me, you 'll probably need to look at a zillion of them in that grade in slabs and raw with expert opinion close by before you're reasonably comfortable with assessing originality and grade. And also, hopefully not state the obvious, do you trust the dealer?
    Best success,

Don
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    I am surprised at the negative tone, but I asked for opinions and am very glad to get truthful and honest opinions from everybody.....

As far as trusting the dealer, this is the one dealer and I would say I do trust, with him being the one I cut my teeth as a collector with.....

• Options
    grayroadsgrayroads Posts: 211 ✭✭
    The real question(s) is do you know the dealer or do you know the coin (series)? The answer will dictate the answer to your question.
  • Options
    ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    I'd pass on the 1914-D dime unless you need one for a type set and you're sure it's original. This is one of the most common dates in the series, and often available in attractive AU for less.

I find that the most common date Barber Dimes rarely sell for CDN bid unless they are in a respectable slab graded MS-63 or better.

It's always encouraging to find a dealer who doesn't try selling attractive AU Barbers as mint state coins.
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • Options
    I have known the dealer for 5 years now..... He is usually spot on grading wise.....

Barber Halves have been a set I have been working on for over a year know, in VG grade..... Was thinking I should get a nice type coin in AU or MS.....

As far as the dime, I have a few Barber Dimes, but they are much lower grade then AU that this coin is..... Again was thinking a nice Dime, Quarter and Half would be good to have..... plus this dime has nice color on it.....
  • Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    Tell the dealer you intend to have the half dollar graded by a TPG. Then buy the coin. Send it to a board member going to the FUN show and ask them to get an ANACS opinion for you. If it's 58, keep it, if not, return it.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Look careful at the neck of the AU58 half. I sold one of those with a hairline scratch across the neck... most angles you do not see it. Right angle it looks like a pearl necklace (really).
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Was thinking about that question to be answered to see what he said.....
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not buy any unslabbed Barber coin. I have looked at many Barber Dimes, Quarters and Halves in MS 65 and MS 66. 80% of them were IMO ugly and / or overgraded. Moreso re the Halves. I suggest wearing latex gloves while looking at Barber Halves, in case the coin(s) bite you (it's almost that bad). I went to one show and looked at 20 or more Barber Dimes in MS 65 and didn't like any of them.

I imagine at the AU level, you will also have to deal with the possibility of many cleaned coins (at the above grade levels, I didn't see anything I thought was AT, just a lot that was ugly). Dimes and quarters have gotten cheaper over the last few years; not so re the Halves.

Re an AU, look for luster breaks / slight color changes at the high points of the coins. If you see obvious wear, and they tell you it's AU, it's probably overgraded.

Don't be in a hurry to buy AU or Unc. Barber coins.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Very surprising this entire thread.....
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    which post on here is one of the more surprising ones for you ??????image
  • Options
    The general negative tone towards purchasing these coins.....

Only a few posts say purchasing these is a potentially good thing.....

Now I know this is all done without seeing the coins so.....
  • Options
    I would be patient and wait, I purchase only pcgs/ngc/anacs coins to keep or resell, $300 is alot to spend to only find out its coming back bodybagged for any number of reasons.. You can find a nice barber half if you wait, image
  • Options

I went back today and looked closely at the Half and the Dime.

I purchased the dime and here are some pics, this is my first crack at pictures so.....

The Half was indeed original, imo, but it had a weak strike and I would not call it AU-58, he did not have it priced at AU-58 level either so.....

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No wonder he had it in the back.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has that ---cleaned and put in an album for 10 years---look to it.
  • Options
    Ya think?

I did not think so.....
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    That looks like a nice dime from what I can tell from the pic. I imagine in hand it's even better of course.

I think all the cautions can begin to create a life of their own on some threads. Nice Barber coins are hard to find original in any grade. But as for an investment with long term potential, a nice Barber Half has oodles of potential IMHO. The quarter and dime aren't bad either, especially with a nice original look.

Good luck.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the photos I would guess that it has been dipped and has retoned. I just don't trust any high grade Barber coins that are raw.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    AU takes in a lot of territory. An attractively toned slider is a good buy at that price.

Steve
    Collecting XF+ toned Barber dimes

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file