Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Robbery on the Bay of E, the suckers line up...

LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
in the hopes of getting something for relatively nothing...

I don't know what makes me sicker, the sellers or the buyers whom for some reason don't educate themselves..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Franklin-Half-1953-S-Gem-BU-MS66-FBL-55-000_W0QQitemZ8366971169QQcategoryZ11973QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
imageBe Bop A Lula!!
"Senorita HepKitty"
"I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter

Comments

• Options
    With something like that i think they might deserve each other.

But its a shame image
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭
    He spammed it with everything but "PCGS" and "NGC"!

That doesnt look like and FBL Frankie to me.............

TorinoCobra71

"That Seller IS NOT Groovy!"

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    robbery would be a bit strong to describe the seller?

i know jack squat about the coin listed in the auction but I will
    take a stab at why the bidders are silly.

The coin cannot possibly be a 66. I can see scratches and the FBL
    from the pictures can easily be argued as wrong.

Lucy, am I missing the big picture here? Is there something more wrong than a truly bad description?

thanks
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Lucy, am I missing the big picture here? Is there something more wrong than a truly bad description?

thanks >>

Well, yes. It's an intentionally wrong and misleading description.
  • Options
    Thats what i said, when refering to my first ebay auction.
    Russ said thats a no no ......
    I would like to make that kind of money but, its immoral.

Im a sucker for IN GOD WE TRUST...
    PS.. I dont see a S mark?
  • Options
    But Lucy, it's MONT state!!!image
  • Options

<< <i>Thats what i said, when refering to my first ebay auction.
    Russ said thats a no no ......
    I would like to make that kind of money but, its immoral.

Im a sucker for IN GOD WE TRUST...
    PS.. I dont see a S mark? >>

"S" mint mark is there, right above the bell.

Gotta love that reddish orange light he uses, the same light he uses to hide marks on many of his auctions.
  • Options
    glavin,

i think you nailed the real reason the decription is wrong. thanks!

a grade is an opinion, and so is FBL. but i do not see a mint mark either.

ugh! oldtime u are right! the description seems accurate in someone'e opinion again.
  • Options

<< <i>glavin,

i think you nailed the real reason the decription is wrong. thanks!

a grade is an opinion, and so is FBL. but i do not see a mint mark either.

ugh! oldtime u are right! the description seems accurate in someone'e opinion again. >>

There is clearly a S mint mark on this deceptive and dishonest auction... FBL is a matter of opinion eh?
    The 53s in FBL is the Holy Grail to FRANKLIN collectors...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    lucy,

Was I wrong to assume that FBL is just an opinion? You are an expert in this series, so you can make those fine line judgements?

But there must be frankies out there that experts disagree on so it
    does end up being a matter of opinion?

thanks
  • Options
    I just emailed the current high bidder with this:
    Greetings!
    Copy and paste the link below and see what some very knowledgeable coin collectors are saying about this 1953 Franklin that you're bidding on. I'd hate to see you get ripped off (and so would they). Just one honest coin collector watching out for your best interest, I hope you understand. You may want to cancel your bid (or not place another one)? If not... GOOD LUCK! (and Happy New Year!) LINK: http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=463474

My eBay stuff
    As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do. ~Zachary Scott <>
    Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is? ~Frank Scully
  • Options
    I see it now. OOHHH my eye, im blind.image
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    what do you mean?

its got fulla bull lines!
  • Options

<< <i>lucy,

Was I wrong to assume that FBL is just an opinion? You are an expert in this series, so you can make those fine line judgements?

But there must be frankies out there that experts disagree on so it
    does end up being a matter of opinion?

thanks >>

The bottom line is this is a 20 - 25 dollar coin, tops. due to the deceptive hype/description of a coin that isnt ms66, isnt fbl, the seller has laid bait and has reeled some in so far to the tune of $199....
    and that figure will probably get worse b auctions end, and the buyer, that person will be out....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't these people ever bid in my auctions?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    I dont see what the big fuss is over this auction. REMEMBER: this is my opinion. The seller doesnt state in the description that it is an MS66 coin. He states it in the title WITH a question mark. From that I get "This may be a MS66 Frankilin, maybe". As far as FBL, that is an opinion just like grading, maybe he sees FBL, maybe you wont. I admit the picture could be a whole lot better. If that were my auction, and I believed that I truley discribed the coin to the best of my ability, then let them bid away!!! He did start it at .99 cents. Theres alot of clues, just boils down to smart shopping!
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!
  • Options

<< <i>I dont see what the big fuss is over this auction. REMEMBER: this is my opinion. The seller doesnt state in the description that it is an MS66 coin. He states it in the title WITH a question mark. From that I get "This may be a MS66 Frankilin, maybe". As far as FBL, that is an opinion just like grading, maybe he sees FBL, maybe you wont. I admit the picture could be a whole lot better. If that were my auction, and I believed that I truley discribed the coin to the best of my ability, then let them bid away!!! He did start it at .99 cents. Theres alot of clues, just boils down to smart shopping! >>

feel free to bid on it!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    I hope I dont get punished for my auction. It reads full luster and a hint of gold toning.
  • Options

<< <i>I hope I dont get punished for my auction. It reads full luster and a hint of gold toning. >>

and you just might if your desciption is a blatant deception.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    There are alot more deceptive auctions out there that need more attention then this one. This one is a buyers stupidity more then a sellers deception.

Lucy, lighten up on me. I may never want to voice my opinon here again.....image

I wouldnt spend 199.00 on ANY Franklin.........they bore me.
  • Options
    The high bidder on the auction bought this recently, link, another seller that likes to use a lot of hype
    on his auctions.
    Maybe things will get better but i doubt it image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still wonder why so many of us don't have a PCGS MS65FBL in there sets. And BTW the last MS65FBL that I saw sell on Ebay went for around $15,000.00. is part of the reason.
    All of use with the 97.14% in the FBL line are looking for that grail Lucy is talking about.
    PCGS registrty Franklin FBL
  • Options

<< <i>There are alot more deceptive auctions out there that need more attention then this one. This one is a buyers stupidity more then a sellers deception.

Lucy, lighten up on me. I may never want to voice my opinon here again.....image

I wouldnt spend 199.00 on ANY Franklin.........they bore me. >>

thats because you reject reality and substitute your own.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    Lucy,

I wont have this bickering tween us in '06................image Glad we had it before hand!

Happy New Year everyone!!!!!!!
  • Options
    holy heck lindedad. that is some serious reg-set competition. yowza.
  • Options

<< <i>Lucy,

I wont have this bickering tween us in '06................image Glad we had it before hand!

Happy New Year everyone!!!!!!! >>

bickering? You can defend auctions of that nature all you want...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    O' Darn, just when it was starting to get good image
    & i brought along a friend too image
  • Options
    Ah what the hell do I know anyways? I only have 11 posts.
  • Options
    outtachaos,

you need to have a bit thicker skin when using the internet ;-)

edited to put just: blank
  • Options

<< <i>outtachaos,

you need to have a bit thicker skin when using the internet ;-)

do not sweat it. lucy probably ran out of margarita mix or something. >>

There is no need for that last remark.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    Lucy check out this Franklin auction only $15,999.99 for a MS66FBL.
    Of course they forgot to put it in a holder.
    1953-S Franklin Half Super GEM BU MS65 PQ+++ 66 FBL!!
    image and he ran the same auction/coin about four or five times and this guy is a power seller.
  • Options

<< <i>Lucy check out this Franklin auction only $15,999.99 for a MS66FBL.
    image and he ran the same auction/coin about four or five times and this guy is a power seller. >>

That auction has been a subject on here before, that 53s is very well struck. You would think they would submit it to PCGs and get the FBL
    designation they claim the coin deserves.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options

image and he ran the same auction/coin about four or five times and this guy is a power seller. >>

Now THAT is a deceptive description!

Finaly I agree w/ Lucy...that remark was uncalled for....even I didnt go there. LOL...And she caught it before the edit. Good one.
  • Options
    Yes Lucy if they want and really feel it is that good I agree it would be worth spending $50.00 to get it certified. I know a lot of people including me that won't touch it otherwise. Sorry but not going to put that kind of money on a long shot.
  • Options

<< <i>

Now THAT is a deceptive description!

Finaly I agree w/ Lucy...that remark was uncalled for....even I didnt go there. LOL...And she caught it before the edit. Good one. >>

We are free to disagree on here, I realize that, no need to throw a personal jab in...
    And if one has ten posts or 100,000, they are still a valued member that has to right to have input here.
    I have never judged a person on thier post count, rather, it has been thier content and value to these boards.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options

<< <i>Yes Lucy if they want and really feel it is that good I agree it would be worth spending $50.00 to get it certified. I know a lot of people including me that won't touch it otherwise. Sorry but not going to put that kind of money on a long shot. >>

If that coin is truely a FBL coin, I would jump at the chance to submit it if I was this seller, I would enjoy the publicity of bringing a 53S FBL in a five holder, freshly graded, to the market!

The excuse they use not to submit it is lame IMO.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    yes dear................
  • Options
    FBL? Doesnt look it to me from here.
  • Options
    Lucy,

with all due respect ; you can not call one a robber and stick up for the other .

they are both raw coins -both claiming to be FBL's and both supposedly worth a ton of money .

I myself would call them BOTH deceptive .

They are BOTH auctions put up by ROBBERS !!

• Options
    i am not sticking up for either, both of the auctions are bad news.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    .....you got the beat now gal !image
  • Options
    ....on a side note , this ULTRACOIN feller has been trying to dump a ANACS MS-67 1952-D Franklin off on some poor smuck for over a year now.

I had the exact coin in my hands a couple years back

WHEN IT WAS IN A PCGS 64 HOLDER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

<< <i>There are alot more deceptive auctions out there that need more attention then this one. This one is a buyers stupidity more then a sellers deception.

I wouldnt spend 199.00 on ANY Franklin.........they bore me. >>

Methinks this boy was hitting the New Years drinks about 12 hours early!!image
  • Options
    O.K. Lucy: Here's my opinion. I don't think any of the sellers are fooled. The guys says it's a $55,000 coin and the bid is at a measly $200. The loss of $200 can hardly be construed as "ruining" anyone's life. Besides, anyone that KNOWS anything about Franklins KNOWS what FBL and MS66 insinuates. So if they are dreaming and bidding on this coin at the same time, they have bid OCD or...

they feel they are losing very little. image

P.T. Barnum shows his ghost every day. That's why most of the dealers are still in business....
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    TyrockTyrock Posts: 287 ✭✭✭
    I'd say that even most people who buy TPG coins from the top TPGs just look at the grade on the slab and write out a check. It takes time and effort to learn what makes a coin exceptional or fully worth the money. And it takes time and effort to learn if a coin on ebay is a good purchase. I guess many of us are too lazy to take the time to educate ourselves. I read these boards and enjoy them, but I stay away from the message beoars on EBay because of the level of indifference I see displayed there. goodluck;
  • Options
    ..I would say Pepperdoodles is no diffrent in his deceptions.......
    I bought a single coin from him and asked him if i could return it -

he left me neg. feedback on ebay and said i tried to "renigg" on the deal .

I consider him nothing more then a robber and a thief .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file