Home Sports Talk
Options

Julio Franco??

will this guy be a hall of famer? him signing witht the mets will make him even more recognized.

Franco is a three-time All-Star (1989, 1990 and 1991) and he was named the Most Valuable Player of the 1990 All-Star Game at Wrigley Field.
Franco has constructed a .299 (2,521-8,422) batting average, with 394 doubles, 54 triples, 170 home runs and 1,152 RBI in 2,377 games with the Phillies, Indians, Rangers, White Sox, Brewers, Devil Rays and Braves.

He has more than 3,800 hits between the majors, minors and his time in Japan, Korea and Mexico.

A five-time Silver Slugger (1988-1991, 1994), Julio owns three of the top four highest single-season batting averages by a player who is 43-or-older (.309 in 2004, .294 in 2003 and .284 in 2002). Only Hall of Famer Sam Rice is in the top four with his .293 batting average in 1934 at age 44

Comments

• Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    Interesting question. I don't think we can weigh in until he finally retires though. This guy is ageless. If he's still getting hits when he's 50, who knows what kind of career stats he'll end up with. Right now I don't think he's make into the hall though.
  • Options
    i dunno, but i when heard the braves got rid of him, i scratched my head. he may be old, but he's in good shape and got many clutch hits... not to mention, a fan favorite.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    yeah i like this pick up by the mets. franco has killed us for 3 years now. just hope he still has it in him at 47 years old. sounds like a great bench and role player for the young guys on the mets. man knows baseball.
  • Options
    He's one amazing player and story. A good pick up for the Mets in my opinion.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Good pickup, solid career, but he's been playing for what, 30 years?

Not a HoFer in my opinion.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant see him in the Hall of Fame.
  • Options
    I heard a story one time that one way he maintains his stength and batspeed is by taking batting practice with a donut still on his bat. Not only an amazing display of strength, but coordination to actually get good wood on the ball with a donut basically covering the sweet spot of the bat.
  • Options
    Not a hall of famer... Just because he is still playing doesnt mean he should be, career 3's are NOT HOF material.

Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    I can think of far better players from the Franco era who would deserve the Hall before Franco ie Dawson, Rice, Murphy, McGriff
    Travis
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    I am a big fan of Julio Franco, but I doubt he will get into the HOF. If he does, it will be the first time the balloteers viewed a career as a whole (MLB, Japan, Mexico, Minors) instead of just one segment.

Had he stayed in MLB without interuption, a definate HOFer IMHO.

At one time (before his true age was known) he and Yount were the only two major leaguers forecasted by Bill James to have any kind of shot at 4000 hits.
    Wondo

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone really know how old he is?

I always laugh at his batting stance.....wild.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭
    If he plays 'til he's 50, maybe.
    Proud of my 16x20 autographed and framed collection - all signed in person. Not big on modern - I'm stuck in the past!
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Dirty Harry....

I thought I heard the sportsguys on TV one night discussing his age.....

I am thinking they believed him to be in his 50's!