Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Selling raw on eBay: Do you venture grades?

I've sold a number of raw coins on eBay and, as I a consider myself an intermediate collector without surpassing knowledge of many series, I decline to "grade" my offerings, though I have gone as far as to term a coin "nice BU example," "mid-range MS" and the like. I generally try to take excellent photographs, describe the condition as best I can and, with perfect feedback and 7-day return policy, let the chips fall where they may. I'd describe my success as middling: Acceptable profits in the majority of cases but also a couple of disappointings--some buyers have made some nice rips of yours truly.

Now I am dispersing roughly 10 Buffalo nickels in cases where I have duplicates of the date and mint (Xmas is coming for a wife and two kids, you know). Perhaps half of these nickels I've shown here and have gotten some very pleasing estimates as to grade from fellows I've come to respect enormously. My knowledge over the last 18 months with this series has grown considerably. As the price margins in a few cases are considerable from 63-65, I am feeling confident about stating a grade outright to impress upon buyers the value of the coins. Certainly they will be graded more conservatively than the horrifically overgraded examples that are the norm there.

Would you forge confidently ahead on the grading point, or back off?

Comments

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are selling them raw, even if you declare a coin to be MS64 and show wonderful pictures inyour listing, I can't imagine you'll get anywhere close to MS64 money. Despite your best intentions, eBay in general is just too frought with misinformation, overgrading and outright thievery for most people to put any stock in a seller's grade and description of a raw coin.

When I sell a coin on eBay, even one that has been third-party graded, I always give my opinion of the grade, along with a comprehensive description of any distinguishing or detracting marks. If it is a series I'm not entirely familiar with, or if my pictures hide or accentuate something that I can't see with my eyes, I'll mention that too. As much as you can explain why you came up with the grade you did, include it in the description.

In the long run it may cost me a few bucks to be that brutally honest, but in six years I've only had one return from someone who was disappointed with the condition of a coin.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Like you said, you have a wife and 2 kids with Christmas coming. You stick a specific grade on there and someone doesn't like it and wants their money back, then you have to deal with that baloney. What if 3 or 4 people want their money back because they don't like your grades? If you're selling successfully and the whole idea is to get money for Christmas, I'd just stay the course.

Jerry
  • Options
    stating your opinion of the grade is fine - as long as the pics are large and revealing and speak for themselves.

Your grade will probably be a lot more accurate than all of the "Guano-Grade" Co's that are springing up like weeds

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file