Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My local coin dealer is a nut.

My last post about the microscope episode in my local coin dealer's shop got me thinking about my collection again so I called him up to see if he is in a better mood today.

I don't know if he has caller id and knows my phone number (I call him alot with questions and to chat about coins...even though it irritates him...ha ha.) but Somehow I think he knew it was me because he wouldn't even discuss what I was offering him.

Six months ago I bought 1999,2000,2001,2002,2003, and 2004 Gold plated state quarters off of QVC. I have all 5 from each year, in mint condition. He told me he didn't want them, so I figured he knew it was me, (way to hold a grudge, Mike!) so I told him I would sacrifice for half of what I paid because I need the money even though 1999 gold plated SQ's are probably rare by now.

He said he wouldn't give me anything for them and "real" collectors don't even want them and I said that was crap and that they sell them on QVC all the time and these are coated with real gold.

He told me to put them on ebay and maybe some non-collector would buy them. It is dealers like this that really p!ss me off. There is no reason he couldn't buy them at the bargain I offered and sell them in his store or he could put them on ebay himself.

He told me it was out of the question and I called him an A-hole again, lol.

This guy is really getting under my skin.

Comments

• Options
    I guess one thread isn't enough for you. Personally your local dealer sounds right on. I'm a buyer of those quarters at 25 cents each if you pay shipping. image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>so I told him I would sacrifice for half of what I paid >>

You'd still be ripping him off. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    you're trying too hard now. image
  • Options
    I bought 1 each of the real gold quarters from a modern dealer on these boards-- they are great long term investments he said. With gold going up that local dealer is just trying to rip you off!!! Advertise them here on BST--image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    "We can watch dirty movies and drink Mad Dog 20/20 Orange. "

This could get you on his good side,
  • Options
    I just ate, it hurts to laugh on a full stomach! image
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My loco coin dealer is a nut >>

quite a few are!
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    Hi GoldCoinLover.
  • Options
    Could be fanofmoderns
  • Options
    You're a pretty good speller, Half Crazy.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options

<< <i>Hi GoldCoinLover. >>

Yes sir. Hello GCL
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202

<< <i>

<< <i>Hi GoldCoinLover. >>

Yes sir. Hello GCL >>

image sure seems that way to me also.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options
    This person is much wittier than GCL, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    You are kidding right? -Dan
  • Options

<< <i>This person is much wittier than GCL, I'm afraid. >>

I agree.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    What idiot would buy gold plated SHQ for more than face less 20 % ?

Troll !
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least wait a day between these softballs halfcrazy, or we might stop playing along......except 1 of us......
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is the prelude to some brilliant satire, I'm ready to toon in

<popcorn eating eyecon>

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    This is midwestcoin/Kramer/etc stuff. I know he irritated a lot of people, but I thought he was funny. Except for the endless nothing posts to get his count up.

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options

<< <i>This is midwestcoin/Kramer/etc stuff. >>

I think you nailed it.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>This is midwestcoin/Kramer/etc stuff. I know he irritated a lot of people, but I thought he was funny. Except for the endless nothing posts to get his count up. >>

Actually, that does make sense.
  • Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Coins are cool.
    If you have a moment, please check out our E-bay auctions.
    our e-bay auctions

• Options
    2bucks2bucks Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Coins are cool. >>

Good first post! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>so I told him I would sacrifice for half of what I paid >>

You'd still be ripping him off. image

Russ, NCNE >>

OmyGosh, I agree!
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    Smotis, Carolj---bam him for a month, alt id, real self, the whole deal. I'm in a bad mood and don't see the humor.
  • Options

<< <i>Smotis, Carolj---bam him for a month, alt id, real self, the whole deal. I'm in a bad mood and don't see the humor. >>

You're certainly not one to complain about not seeing the humor in a situation.
  • Options

<< <i>OmyGosh, I agree! >>

Watch your language, Fat Boy.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,843 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do find the reading to be quite entertaining, actually. The grammar, punctuation, spelling, complete sentences, quotations......the subject matter, and the masterful use of the language are rather refreshing.

Can we agree it is not Laura trying to sneak in as a wannabe? image LOL
  • Options

• Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Smotis, Carolj---bam him for a month, alt id, real self, the whole deal. I'm in a bad mood and don't see the humor. >>

You're certainly not one to complain about not seeing the humor in a situation. >>

Oh that. Now that I think about it, it's rather funny and ingenious. Give him a promotion and raise.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You're certainly not one to complain about not seeing the humor in a situation. >>

Oh that. Now that I think about it, it's rather funny and ingenious. Give him a promotion and raise. >>

• Options

What'sa matter, Guy, someone else get assigned to do the Natalie Gulbis interview?

• Options
    I think it is unfair that you used a microscope to examine his state quarters. State quarters do not generate much profit for the dealers who sell them and examining them with a microscope takes a very long time, taking up the dealers' time in the process that he could have used to do something productive.

Also, the gold plated state quarters are not wanted by many collectors. They are probably worth a few cents over face value to somebody who likes them.
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.

Just, wow.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    they sell them on QVC all the time and these are coated with real gold.

Yes they do!
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    I like fish image
  • Options
    Wait a minute you actually bought coins from QVC - are you insane??
  • Options
    Do the Gold Plated State Quarters work in the Pepsi machine?
    GTS
  • Options
    ...This is getting old....image....Go away......image
  • Options
    I would love to buy your valuable quarters. I will pay up to $250 each.

hahahhahaha
    Nick
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    I have some of these cool gold plated state quarters too... didn't get them from QVC though ... I bought them, and use them, for magic tricksimage
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best way to make him go away

is to make him lonely.

Poor sad little person.

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    He told me to put them on ebay and maybe some non-collector would buy them. It is dealers like this that really p!ss me off. There is no reason he couldn't buy them at the bargain I offered and sell them in his store or he could put them on ebay himself.

You've got to be joking. You're joking right?? Oh my......... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    Busthalfcrazy,

If you have some extra time, would you please help me in upgrading my set of dateless buffalo nickels? I really have no idea of where to start.

P.S. Would a partial date be considered an upgrade?

Have a Great Day!
    Louis
  • Options
    It's Mad Marty
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Six months ago I bought 1999,2000,2001,2002,2003, and 2004 Gold plated state quarters off of QVC. I have all 5 from each year, in mint condition. He told me he didn't want them, so I figured he knew it was me, (way to hold a grudge, Mike!) so I told him I would sacrifice for half of what I paid because I need the money even though 1999 gold plated SQ's are probably rare by now.
    >>

You must be a gold coin lover or trying real hard to sound like one. the meds must be working imageimage
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    Thank God no dealers in my area named Mike!
    "Only 2 things are certain
    Death and Taxes" ~~ Ben Franklin
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/mint-sets/1945-mint-set/publishedset/21067
    Knutson's 45' Set 2009 Winner
  • Options

<< <i>Six months ago I bought 1999,2000,2001,2002,2003, and 2004 Gold plated state quarters off of QVC. I have all 5 from each year, in mint condition. He told me he didn't want them, so I figured he knew it was me, (way to hold a grudge, Mike!) so I told him I would sacrifice for half of what I paid because I need the money even though 1999 gold plated SQ's are probably rare by now. >>

Wow, these guys are really tough on a new board member!

Tell ya what. Since you're new, I'm gonna help ya out. We have a very friendly and kind forum member here who loves to help newbies and I just know she'll be willing to give you a fair price for your QVC coins. She goes by the name of Laura Legend.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    When I decided it was time to unload my Gold-Plated State Quarter Collection my Dealer paid me with Gold Dollar Coins. I thought I did quite well - no telling how much I'll be able to unload these for. My Dealer is just an all-around great guy!image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file