Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Best Grading service

Could someone tell me which grading service is the best one to use?

Comments

• Options
    ACG? imageimage
  • Options
    Why are they so good?
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Welcome!

I prefer PCGS, but for no particular reason.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    My vote goes to SGS (Star Grading Service). Currently they're the ones receiving all the MS 68- MS 70 coins submissions.
    Scott R Taylor
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    Definitely SGS.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    For me, it's PCGS, NGC, and ANACS, in that order...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    ngc/pcgs in no particular order
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Realize half the posts so far are in jest.... you just need to figure out which!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    .....One and only one....PCGS....for the time being anyhow.....image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EJB's got it !

PCGS, DO NOT CONSIDER ANOTHER until you learn how to grade a coin ! Okay, that's my opinion.
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the PCGS holder because you can partially see the edges of the coin - like the lettered edges of your $10 Indian. In my view, I don't like all of the white next to the coin of the NGC holder.

The PCGS holder also has a raised edge, so the holder does not scratch as easily when slid on a counter.

If I'm interested in slabbing for a higher grade and then selling coins under $1000, I tend to go with NGC. They are faster and cheaper. I don't have enough experience to see who is more liberal on standards for any particuler series. Anybody have comments on this "non controversial" topic?

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    Well now isn't that a loaded question seeing as we are on the PCGS forum here...................................

Andrew
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS, NGC, and ANACS
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    They're all bad.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to the NGC web site chat room and ask the same question.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    PCGS image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    I prefer the TPG that can get the grade right at least 50% of the time.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    It depends on how you define "best". PCGS is the tightest, but that doesn't necessarily make them the best.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    PCGS returns the best money in most coin series. So, PCGS is the best. However!

If you've got a 62/63 slider coin, PCGS will grade it a 62. NGC or ANACS might go 63 on a good day and you'll get 80% of the PGCS
    value in those holders, therefore for slider coins consider other services.

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    Are you serious.........????? How did you find this site and register to use these boards......???
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    If you mean which grading service coins I would most like to own, PCGS.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    I'm beginning to like GGC. Seems better and cheaper than NTC, SGS, NNC, NMT, and the other MS-67 companies

GGC = Guano Grading Company

• Options

I forget now, does NGC guarantee their grades like PCGS does?

Larry
    Dabigkahuna
  • Options
    Russ,

What do you mean by the tern "tightest"?
  • Options

<< <i>For me, it's PCGS, NGC, a nd ANACS, in that order...Mike >>

Ditto !
  • Options

<< <i>I forget now, does NGC guarantee their grades like PCGS does? >>

Yes they do.
  • Options
    bonkroodbonkrood Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Go to the NGC web site chat room and ask the same question.image >>

You will hear.....HELLO...................HELLO.........................................HELLO, anybody home. image
    image Steam Power
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    PCGS is my 1st choice. I would consider them the industry leaders for now. Slabs look nice too for showing off coins (with the exception of the "First Strike" and their other big colorful typeface "TM" gimmick holders. I don't care for those.)

ANACS 2nd. Mostly due to the fact that you can send in any mix of U.S/Foreign, Gold, etc.. on the same form, and with no club membership fees. They have a new slab style coming in Jan. which may make them my #1.

NGC 3rd. They have as good reputation like the other two I mentioned. Their NCS is great for getting a coin cleaned (i.e. "conserved") professionally.

I avoid all others.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165

<< <i>Best Grading service >>

You can't be serious. Really, is this some sort of trick question or something? You are in another man's House, you know.imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file