Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

What Set Should I Start Next?

I am going to head to the Fort Washington show this weekend and need to buy some cards. I need the Koufax and Clemente to finish my 55 set and I'm in need of a new undertaking but can't decide what to start on. Needs to be vintage and baseball. I like the 65's & 67's. How easy are those sets in 7? I think I like the 65's better at this point. Thoughts?

Comments

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Why not jump eras? A '41 Playball set or a '34-36 Diamond Stars set. Both are great sets with a lot of color and eye appeal, plentiful (except maybe the high numbers in the DS, but those are out there) and are reasonable in 6-7 grade. Lots of entirely different players than the set you just completed as well. And much more likely to increase in value than the '65's.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    Griffins
    I LOVE the 41 Play Ball's. Are they fairly attainable in 6? Thanks.

Scott
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why not jump eras? A '41 Playball set or a '34-36 Diamond Stars set. Both are great sets with a lot of color and eye appeal, plentiful (except maybe the high numbers in the DS, but those are out there) and are reasonable in 6-7 grade. Lots of entirely different players than the set you just completed as well. And much more likely to increase in value than the '65's. >>

This is what I'm going to do. I'm wrapping up a '63 Topps set and want try a different era.
  • How about a hof player set ??
    Always Buying & Collecting 1957 Topps Baseball 1914 cj,s 1978 bb and any Hof bb
  • BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I have a commons lot of 53 different psa 8 NQ 1968 Topps baseball if you want to give that a shot (or anyone else for that matter). A cheap way to get almost 10% of the set done at once! Just pm if interested. $390 delivered. Mostly first series cards.

Brian
  • BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I will be at the Fort too if you wanted to pick them up from me!!!!

Happy hunting at the show!

<< <i>How about a hof player set ?? >>

When you say HOF player set do you mean, pick a player and then try to get every card that has been produced of them?
    '41's in 6 are a piece of cake. DiMaggio is the worst and should be less than 2K, everything else is far, far below that.
    I always jump eras whenever I start a new set. You learn more about the game, and meet more collectors that way.
    I have a bunch of friends that are doing HOF type sets and that is really cool too- amazing how some issues are so inexpensive just because they aren't hyped as much as others.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• I was thinking a card of every player in thr HOF. I personaly am tired of paying top $$ for players i never heard of! I know this would not be easy but low grade cards could be great looking and for more modern cards maybe a little higher grades will work. Good luck and please let us know Jeff
    Always Buying & Collecting 1957 Topps Baseball 1914 cj,s 1978 bb and any Hof bb
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Wow, those are nice colorful cards:

Stingray
    I like the 41 Play Ball's and I'm going to see what I can turn up raw and graded at the Fort. I'll let you know how I make out.

Brian
    Thanks for the offer on the 68's.

Take care.

Scott
    Scott-
    The HOF player type card set is a lot of fun. Basically you get one card of every HOFer in as many different sets as possible. For example
    Babe Ruth Sanella Margarine
    Eppa Rixey '33 Goudey
    Roger Connor Buchner Gold Coin
    Mike Schmidt Puerto Rican Sticker
    Jackie Robinson Bond Bread.

You get the idea. The goal is to not duplicate sets, so the research gets to be a lot of fun as you map out where you're going.
    Here is a similar idea from Mark T, his focus is HOF portraits, but you get the idea

Rusty Willy's HOF portrait collection

Can't go wrong with the '41's though, one of the all time great sets.

• im doing HOF rookies....you'll need patience with that set, as a lot of the cards (im doing pre war as well) are REALLY expensive in very low grades...and some unattainable unless youre a big shot (ruth rookie, for instance).

good luck with whatever set you decide to pursue.