Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Update on My Quest for 100 psa 8 or Better Vintage Sets

Started out with a bang in 2005 and felt like I was knocking them off right and left but only completed two in the second half of 2005 and currently stand at 33 complete with every card psa 8 or better.

The good news is I have 26 sets that are 5 cards or less from completion in psa 8 or better. Don't think its too much of a stretch to believe I could get to over 50 by the end of 2006. Some 68 sets have a set rating of 7.5 or higher.

Submitting 15 more raw sets to PSA by year-end so will hopefully have a few of those heading to completion. All are 50s-60s sets in baseball, football, basketball, hockey with a couple non-sports.

Aggressive goal but having fun doing it. All sets are on the psa registry under Davalillo and I appreciate anyone selling me any cards I need. Also upgrading to 9 in a few sets(61,63,65,67,68 baseball and a number of the smaller sets and to 10s in others.

For those wondering, I never switched any cards from PSA nor do I intend to at this time.

Jim

Comments

• Options
    Jim, how do you keep track of that many sets? Excel?
    Buying 1957 Baseball PSA 8 or higher. Especially Checklists, and Contest Cards. Topps1957psa8set@aol.com
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    No--I keep them all on the psa set registry and I write out a separate handwritten page for each set on cards I need or want to upgrade(150 or so pages).

Jim
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Completing just one vintage set in PSA 8 or better is all I can afford......!!

Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Jim,

Quite an agressive, top- notch goal..............100 or more sets in PSA 8 or better !

You mention that you have some 68 sets in about 7.5 GPA. That equates to NM+ or better, as an average !
    Do you ever consider updating the goal for some sets ?? Possibly 1959 and earlier for example, why not strive for 100% completion and a GPA of at least 7.51 ??

Also it is the AVERAGE GPA you are interested in obtaining, correct ? I say this because some sets have cards ( T-206 Wagner comes to mind quickly) which may have only one or two 8s in existence, thus you would settle for a 6, if offset by a different card in 9 to keep the average up ? You don't always need each and every card in 8 or better, just the net average, right ?

I do find your adventures interesting, and hope you continue to keep us updated and post often.

By the way, some of your cast-off psa 7s from 1957 FB now reside in my set, via Mr. Varga, and I wonder who it was who recently won the PSA 8 Chuck Ulrich 1957 FB card, quite the top-notch collector, I would venture.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    Jaxxr,

I just won the Conerly and the Ulrich reducing the cards I need in that set to 6 in 8 or better.

My goal is not to have a set rating above 8--that would be a much easier goal. My goal is to have every card in 8 or better. You are certainly correct in your statement that extremely low pops will create an impediment to completion but I have a lot of friends helping me on this endeavor--particularly Brian Dwyer who is unbelievable in his tireless pursuit of cards for my sets.

Many have said I will never do it--I have never set a timetable--but God willing I think I can.

Thanks for your interest.

Jim
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    its really hard to stay the course ...I dont think it will be done unless you go a little crazy and pay top dollar for the low pops.

Its probably among the broadest collections of high grade cards in the world ...how many cards 20,000 +?

We have all seen your competitive side (70's kellogs)...how come you never sold a few sets and move those funds into just a few sets where you could compete for top spot?

was it more out of being practical and protective of your investment or did you figure that a broad collection was more a challenge?
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Calleocho,

True-I am very competitive and I can get easily diverted into contests in certain sets--even if its not for first place.

I have always collected lots of sets. Before the advent of grading my goal was all sets-all sports. With the explosion in sets, I stopped in 1992 buying newer sets and just went backwards. To help fund the project, I have traded from sets that I will not finish, sold low pops with the idea of buying them back and sold cards from sets I will not finish at what I consider to be an attractive price--for example T-206 and 33 Goudeys.

I'm still optimistic--if it comes down to not completing the set and bidding aggressively for low pops, I will have to step up but I am trying to put off those decisions as long as possible(which is why I have 26 sets within 5 cards of completion in psa 8 or better).

I have 6 goals in life--3 are career oriented, 2 are family oriented and one is to collect over 100 vintage or semi-vintage(60s) sets in psa 8 or better.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Jim:

Congratulations on your progress. The breadth of your collection represents an entire era of sportscards - and to have so many in high-grade is truly amazing.

Since you seem to have been reincarnated here on these forums - I may start a thread or two re: my thoughts on your collecting style - and would be very keen to hear your feedback.

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Marc,

Not sure if reincarnated is the right word but as of now I will post here and on Network 54--and if I can ever figure out how perhaps on sgc boards.

Thank you for your kind words. Coming from you they mean a lot as I have said here consistently that you were the "smartest" vintage card guy on the cu boards.

Still disappointed in you that you and other "friends"did not resign from LTS in protest after Papa/Nex sided with my attackers but you already know this.

Anyway. your post is the most thought provoking post I have ever seen on the CU or LTS boards and I will respond when I have more time.

My best to you and your family.

Jim

• Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Still disappointed in you that you and other "friends"did not resign from LTS in protest after Papa/Nex sided with my attackers but you already know this >>

Jim,
    Maybe you should add a 7th goal to your list - a personal one - and come to the realization that the whole world doesn't revolve around you............
  • Options
    Oh no--don't tell me he's on this board too. Don't think you'll be allowed to do here what you did at LTS but seems like you want to start up the attacks again.

We had a pool and I predicted you would be first--okay guys time to pay up.

• Options
    raym8raym8 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    Jim,

Congrats on your progress. Truly an amazing collection.

Best,
    Ray

• Options
    Thank you Ray--appreciate the kind words.

Jim
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Dav,

How do you decide which sets you are including in this quest. Just a curious bystander.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't think you'll be allowed to do here............ >>

Jim,
    I think you're beating me in the 'booted' catagory . I believe the score is 3-0 with no signs whatsoever that I will overtake you. Congrats on this fine accomplishment.
  • Options
    Not true but not going to respond to your crap--
  • Options
    HalosFan,

First, I had and still do a substantial raw card collection. I started with star cards and then people actually started collecting sets so I began submitting my pre-war cards and 50s sets. Usually every year I submit another 10-15 sets depending on value and condition. I then constantly look to fill the holes and upgrade all cards to at least PSA 8. Still have a couple hundred rawsets so the process will probably continue like it has.

Thanks for your interest.

Jim
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Jim

Any non sports sets in the portfolio?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve,

Yes!

Right now I have one graded --1967 Who Am I--that is 4 upgrades away from an all psa 8 or better set.

In my pending submission of 15 sets, two are non-sports--1962 Civil War News and 1957 Hit Stars. I submitted every card in HitStars(no centering issues) and hope to get mostly 8s and a few 9s.

Also of possible interest to you--about to go to 8.30 on 65 Topps.

Jim
  • Options
    Jim, congratulations on your progress -- your collection is incredible! If you are so inclined to share, I am sure people would enjoy learning about when you started collecting and how you have built your amazing collection. I know that I would!
    Matt
  • Options
    Thanks Matt,

Good to hear from you again.

I will try to do that when I have a bit more time.

Jim
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dav,

what you are doing boggles my mind. I find it tough enough collecting ONE MODERN set (1978 Topps).

This image is for you. I have no doubt you will realize your collecting dreams.

Dan

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Dan,

Thanks--I'm committed to it.

Jim
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I have been reading this thread and wondering how some of you do it? I am about as middle class as you can get and I definetly have limitations in my spending habits, but I was curious if it gets to the point were you can start selling doubles of items to the point were you are not longer needing to spend regular income on your cards. It just boggles my mind some of the stuff people collect on here. Just curious.

Stingray
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Jim
    PSA should be proud to have collectors of such magnitude here. It takes all to make it happen but without guys like you the vintage market would be dirt cheap and then I could afford some of them pre war cardsimage just kidding. Great job .

John
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Jim:

Nice job. We are all very proud of your passion and hard work. Sorry I haven't been able to chat with you for a while. Will be at the Fort this Friday night only. Would like to hook up to meet and chat. Drop me an email off my Set Registry address.

Best
    AZ
  • Options
    Al,

Thanks--good to hear from you.

I don't think I can make it on Friday unfortunately--will send you an e-mail off line in next couple of days.

Jim
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Davalillo, I have a question for you. In your persuits for cards, have you ever seen the 1950 Callahan Charles Gehringer wearing the Dark Cap graded PSA 8? Or, ever seen one un-graded? That, along with one of the museum cards is all I am missing for that set and would love to find them!

Let me know please!
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Jim, congratulations on your progress -- your collection is incredible! >>

Jim's collection is outstanding on paper, but I am one of many who have had the chance to see the collection in person. When you walk into the "card room", it is almost overwhelming to see what is looking back at you. Without a doubt the finest display of cards I have ever witnessed. Not only in the quality of cards, but also the organization and presentation. I look forward to getting back up that way for a visit.

Welcome back to the boards Jim.

Bernie
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    John(Jackstraw),

Thank you. I appreciate the nice thought.

BaseballJeff,

I don't believe I have ever seen the card.

Bernie,

Thank you--its nice to get such an overwhelming warm response.

Hopefully soon I will host another "collectors party" at my house and
    have my collection on display. I'm sure that Dave Forman would come again with his graders but now that Joe Orlando is my new best friend again maybe he will fly to New Jersey(ha!) for the party.
    Think many of the other guests may be different.
    I could probably convince The King Of Vintage Basketball--Mike Rakosi himself-to come out and hopefully bring his #1 sets from 1948 Bowman, 1957 Topps, 1961 Fleer and 1968 Topps Test.

Jim
  • Options
    jim,

pm me I may have some cards you want/need.
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

<< <i>soon I will host another "collectors party" at my house and
    have my collection on display. >>

For those of you that have never attended a blowout "collectors party" at Jim's house ... you should definetly try to make the next one! Free beer, open bar, steak, lobster, crab cakes, 2 live bands, moon bounce & pony rides for the kids .... plus his famous "pin the tail on my collection game" ... where everyone gets to walk blindfolded through his card room and pull one free card to take home as a door prize.

Jim is simply amazing, with his generosity towards his fellow collectors.

Mike
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    That party sounds absolutly incredible. If it's inappropriate for me to ask, than don't answer, but Jim, where are you from? When's your next party?

Jeff
  • Options
    Mike,

My generosity? Mike(shouldabeena) gave me a 1963 full psa 10 set of 1963 Stancraft Football. And he has offered to give free cards to others to help them on their sets. What a guy!

Jeff,

I live in North Central New Jersey and work in NYC. My friend Mike is exaggerating a wee bit. However I will provide free food and drink and unlimited access to approx 23,000 psa graded cards and 200 plus ungraded sets in "the room".

Jim
  • Options

<< <i>unlimited access to approx 23,000 psa graded cards and 200 plus ungraded sets >>

BYOG: Bring your own goody-bags!! image
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options

<< <i>

I live in North Central New Jersey and work in NYC. My friend Mike is exaggerating a wee bit. However I will provide free food and drink and unlimited access to approx 23,000 psa graded cards and 200 plus ungraded sets in "the room".

Jim >>

All that and a job too?? This collection is a full time job in itself! Good luck in your pursuit, male sure to work hard and play hard too!
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Hi Jim,

I live in North Central NJ as well (Chatham). If you do indeed have a collector blowout bash, I'd love to see the collection.

Congratulations on you accomplishments and good luck with your goals (hobby and otherwise).

Tom
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a Jersey boy too (Branchburg). As such, I'm always up for a bash image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    As long as we're all saying great things about Jim - I wanted to chime in and thank him for helping me out with a few cards for my 1933 Goudey set. We did a trade a few months back that I think both of us were very happy with. Jim - I post under the pseudo-name Kenny Low in the PSA boards, and my registry sets are under the same pseudo name.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Jim, it would be a complete honor to fly from my home in chicago to see such a special collection. I love reading such nice things about you and our hobby. If possible please let me come take a peek at your next event! I would also be glad to donate $ 300 to your favorite charity.
    Thanks Jeff
    Always Buying & Collecting 1957 Topps Baseball 1914 cj,s 1978 bb and any Hof bb
  • Options
    tkd7,

Thank you-pls e-mail me at jdc122@aol.com--we live near each other.

shagrotn

-send me your e-mail--you are not too far away.

Kennylow,

It was a good and fair trade.I have come to the realization I can't do 1933 Goudey in psa 8 so I will trade the 8s I have for equal value. I may not finish 34 Goudey in 8 either although I promise to try.

Jeff,

What a generous offer!!!! Not necessary though. I've been blessed with a good job and a great family and enjoy showing off the collection. If you send me your e-mail I will be sure to invite you.
    jdc122@aol.com.

Thanks to everyone.

Jim

• Options
    Davalillo,

Great job on your sets !!

I also live in Jersey ( Toms River - near the shore )

I get so tired looking at my own collection , it would be an honor to see such a collection.

Heck, i'll even bring the beer image
  • Options
    CCC,

Send me your e-mail and I will notify you--my cousin lives in Toms River.

Jim
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Hi Davalillo,
    It's good to see your name pop up again on a board. I always learned a lot from your posts.
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    Jim,

Thank you. Needless to say, its a bit different environment from the last time I was here.

Jim
  • Options
    Hey Jim, in case my email is not on your list, you can contact me at FFMAZZ@AOL.COM when it's time to partyimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dav,

I from the Long Beach Island area (exit 63 on the ol Parkway). I'm not trying to invite myself BUT I would love to see your collection with my two eyeballs! E-mail me at dpy99@comcast.net when the time arrives!!

Dan

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Jim,

It looks like this years Lillo-palooza should be a huge success. They'll probably have to block off the streets again ... just like last year.

All the guys coming from the Maryland / DC / Virginia area will probably get the 3 motor homes and just road trip up for the weekend. For those of you that have never been, Jim's front yard can accomidate dozens of campers, tents and motor homes. He can even run extension cords outside for heaters if needed.

Mike

PS - I made those calls you asked me to make (on getting the building permits for the stage). It looks like they could finish it quick enough, but Springsteen said he's booked that weekend .. so we might have to settle for Hootie and the Blowfish again this year.

• Options
    FabFrank and SoftParade,

I will e-mail you about the next "Lillopalooza" as Mike would call it--hope you both can make it.

Mike,

We're going to go for a local band from my era==I got Jay Black and the Americans this year--and please if you insist on bringing your 7 labs this year---keep them on my property.

Dav

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    How far is Jim from Hartford CT? My motor home only gets about 3 miles to the gallon.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658