Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How does CSA grading compare to PSA

How would a CSA graded 10 card compare to a PSA graded 10? Would it crossover to a 9? Thanks for your opinion.
many "oddball" items for sale or trade

Comments

• A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if it's CSA or KSA that is the legitimate Canadian grading company, however, I believe it is KSA. CSA is likely a bogus basement operation and there's a high possibility the card is altered/trimmed and won't cross, especially since it's graded as a supposed 10. Post a pic and we'll be able to give you a better opinion.
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    The following is only a test, in the event of a real emergency.....

"PSA/DNA are the experts, not us. We should take their word on such matters and realize a psa 10 will always overshadow a 10 of any competing company. They do this for a living and we should not question their professional opinion and realize a psa 10 is the uber-card every other grading company dreams of becoming..."

muhahahah

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭
    Julen,

You dabighurt in disguise?

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Actually, I would avoid other grading companies altogether. If you want a PSA 10, why take a chance with cards from other grading companies who will leave you with trimmed and altered cards when you can just get the card you want from PSA?

Why rummage around a dumpster and eat garbage when you can have fine dining in a top quality restaurant like the Olive Garden?? image

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • I have said time and time again CSA is just ahead of GAI
    I love candy cards
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CSA is a "franchise" off-shoot of ASA - of Hager fame.

Back in the early 90s, Hager was selling franchises of his company - offering the rights to the arrow-head
    holder use and provided sonic equipment and training.

So the company had a "legitimate" start of sorts and now? Probably about as good as Gem and Pro?

If there are people here who have never heard of Alan Hager...they're missing out on a real treat!

mike
    Mike
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts are this:

CSA seems to have had three distinct periods:

1. The Old Days - Red & White flip (very similar to PSA's) - Good grading/authentication - overgraded by about 1 point relative to PSA (i.e. CSA 8 = PSA 7)

2. The Middle Period - Oversized blue holders with set/year stamped on holder - OK grading/authentication - overgraded by about 2 points relative to PSA (i.e. CSA 8 = PSA 6)

3. The Modern Period - Clear holders with subgrades - Laughable grading/authentication - basically PRO style rules on trimming and authenticity. Who cares about the grades when it is likely trimmed?

Hope it helps.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • I've crossed a few older CSA cards (ones with flips that look like PSA's) with no problem at all. I would expect to get knocked down a grade or two, but I havent had any come back trimmed or grossly overgraded. That said, I've only done that with three cards.
  • There is an old 1979 Topps Ozzie Smith RC in a PSA 9 holder right now that I crossed over 5 years ago from a CSA 9 holder. I sold the card over 4 years ago. Mentioned only because many have said that CSA 9 don't cross equally.

Ledsters
  • jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    I've sent cards to CSA some 5-6 years ago, overall they seemed close to, perhaps a bit "easier" than PSA, maybe a half to a full point higher.
    However I had two cards come back as not graded; evid. of alteration/trim, a 71 Catfish Hunter and a 82 Fleer ripken RC, both obtained raw from ebay sellers, though the Ripken was part of a complete set so unlikely to be trimmed, but shows not all non-major graders are charlatans.

I knew they moved to NY, but thought they closed up shop. Anyone have a link to their current website ??

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • All my old CSA cards were cracked out and sent to PSA (maybe 7 or so) all but one came back a grade higher. I was pleasantly shocked, some were $300+ cards.
  • Olive Garden . . . Fine Restaurant . . . Somebodys Lostimage
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Olive Garden . . . Fine Restaurant . . . Somebodys Lostimage >>

I gotta say...I've had worse.

mike
    Mike
  • I thought CSA was one of the first grading companies out there. I remember way back in the day when it was them, PSA, and SGC. I want to say this was around 1996 or so........
  • do a search on CSA...this topic has been brought up ad nauseum

post 1

post 2

post 3

post 4

post 5

and so on and so on
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I know that they are located here in Michigan.

CSA Site

Old website, I believe, states that they are in NY.

Stingray

• << <i> have said time and time again CSA is just ahead of GAI >>

oh oh....i think a little PSA loyalty blinded you when you wrote this. CSA isnt horrible and i would buy their cards over PRO,GEM, KSA et al in a heartbeat...but i wouldnt compare them to GAI. Maybe if you said SCD instead...

• << <i>

<< <i> have said time and time again CSA is just ahead of GAI >>

oh oh....i think a little PSA loyalty blinded you when you wrote this. CSA isnt horrible and i would buy their cards over PRO,GEM, KSA et al in a heartbeat...but i wouldnt compare them to GAI. Maybe if you said SCD instead... >>

SCD with the red circle is legitimate. SCD with the blue circle is questionable.
  • jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    So... are they still in Biz ???

The prior link is from April 2002, states they are near Columbus OH. and use a NY PO BOX for shipping .

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    That is the only link I could find, I was wrong it is Gem Grading Services which is located in Michigan.

Stingray

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i> have said time and time again CSA is just ahead of GAI >>

oh oh....i think a little PSA loyalty blinded you when you wrote this. CSA isnt horrible and i would buy their cards over PRO,GEM, KSA et al in a heartbeat...but i wouldnt compare them to GAI. Maybe if you said SCD instead... >>

SCD with the red circle is legitimate. SCD with the blue circle is questionable. >>

Wrong, I do believe that most of the high dollar/ High grade GAI cards are seriously compromised.
    I love candy cards