Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

question for dealers

what do you do in a situation when you are helping a collector with a nice registry set and you know a particular dealer that has that special coin that your collector needs,but the problem isnt the amount for that coin, you just personally cant stand that particular dealer that has the coin your clients looking for. what would you do? please dont ignore this question we want to see all your particular answers!
ed rodrigues

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as I get to hammer the seller until he cries, I'd be happy to broker the transaction.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have smoeone like me buy it for you then you buy it from me.
  • Options
    Nocerino18Nocerino18 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I would overcome my hatred and help out my customer.
    Coin Superstore's Ebay Auctions
    Personal Ebay Auctions
    My Website
    ---------------------------------------------
    ALWAYS LOOKING TO PURCHASE
    TOP 100 MORGANS / HOT 50
    TOP 50 PEACE VAMS
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not paid to have an opinion about another dealer's personality. I buy and sell coins for a living.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to help the customer, but most of the dealers I don't care for "are on my list" for charging high prices or overgrading their offerings, which is usually the same thing accomplised in a different manner.

If the coins are in the hands of "high priced" dealer, it's usually a lost cause.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Business is Business....
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    If I only got to deal with coin dealers I was personally fond of, I'd spend a lot less time on the phone and get pretty lonely at coin shows!

Present company excluded, of course, Andy and David!

There have been occasions when a client was not fond of a particular dealer or auction house and asked me to act as purchaser instead.
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would overcome my hatred and help out my customer. >>

I agree. I've done it before. You just need to think of it in a way that motivates you to do the deal.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Business is business has already been said and dealers can work with other dealers almost ALL the time or knows one that can deal with a dealer you don't
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file