Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did Heritage set up its own grading service during the 1980's?

I was reading a book and it indicated that Heritage set up a grading service during the 1980's, I believe. Does anyone know anything about this? Were the coins slabbed, or where they somehow sealed and graded? Do any of these Heritage-graded coins still exist?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The company was called NCI and their standard was consistent and ahead of its time.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The company was called NCI and their standard was consistent and ahead of its time. >>

The infamous NCI that's still valued in CDN...
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahead of its time is an understatement. In another 5 years NCI graded coins will finally be accurate. But it will have take 25-30 years of gradeflation (and 2-3 MS grading points) to make that happen. What do they say? A clock is right twice a day. So is a grading opinion......if you wait long enough. Accugrade coins of today will finally intersect the TPG curve at around 2075.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Does Heritage own a very big percentage of NGC?
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr. Pete, rumor has it that it could be so. Wonder who bought Tom Noe's share in NGC?

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Technically Heritage did not start or own NCI, but it was started by at least some of the owners of Heritage and it was located in the same building.

Depending on what sources you check NCI started up in either 1985 or 1986, but these commonly available sources are wrong since NCI grading certificates exist dated in December of 1984. There are eight different varieties of NCI photocertificates, and during the use of the last two certificates the coin was also placed in a tamperproof slab. That slab may have also been used briefly by itself without the photocertificates and is listed as NCI 9. Trying to determine when each certificate type was introduced is very difficult. From study of the issue dates on the certificates it is apparent that at least six of the certificate types were in use at the same time.

At the time they were in production they were considered the bottom of the slabbing barrell and were regarded lower than ACG. After they folded around 1991 ACG became the whipping dog of the grading industry. Specimens of NCI graded coins are thought much better of today than back when the company was open.
  • Options
    Great info Conder!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Their standard was consistent. I’ll give them that in spades. The only problem was their standard was considerably below the industry, and their coins traded at considerable discounts to those who knew the score.

As for “ahead of their time,” if grade-flation continues old NCI coins might start trading at 100% of the present market. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file