Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Two ancients--I couldn't resist

I bought two ancients today. I don't usually buy ancients, but these look incredible to me, and cost less than a MS65 Morgan USD. In the news department, ANACS is grading ancients. This is not surprising since the ICG chief is bringing to ANACS many ICG ideas.

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins, cheaper than an MS65 Morgan hey? Heh heh. image

Anacs is now grading ancients, this will be a severe blow to ICG. I feel for Cameron. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins. And I agree, this will be a blow to ICG. I think NGC may start soon.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    This is interesting. Who knew ANACS was grading ancients? I collect ancients but never really cared about numeric grading. I do care about authentication. I assume they are doing this? I must check this out...image
    Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who knew ANACS was grading ancients? >>

I did, but they don't do it anymore.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Who knew ANACS was grading ancients? >>

I did, but they don't do it anymore. >>

It is true, ANACS is not grading ancients as of this writing. I wonder why? I wonder how long a time they did do it. I can't remember seeing other ANACS ancients so it must have been a short time. I wonder if they will again with the James Taylor (aka ICG guy) influence.

>>>
    http://www.anacs.com/faq.html
    Q. Are there any types of coins that ANACS does not grade and encapsulate?

A. ANACS does not grade and encapsulate the Panama-Pacific $50 commemorative due to insert aperture limitations. Any coin larger than 40.6 mm or thicker than 3.8 mm cannot be encapsulated. ANACS does not grade cob coins, counterstamped issues, certain emergency issues, some Mexican Revolutionary issues, colonials (with the exception of the Fugio Cent), California fractionals, ancients, blank planchets, paper money. ANACS also does not grade or encapsulate non-genuine pieces or coins with active PVC.

* Edited to add: Now I am not so sure, because the FAQ still has the old information about net grades for problem coins, so it is not current. I sent ANACS an email and will update here when I get a response.
  • Options
    Gorgeous!

Pity they're slabbed. I love the edges of Roman coins.
  • Options
    Just imagine the history those coins have been through!!!
    Shep
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Sweet pieces!!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>Just imagine the history those coins have been through!!!
    Shep >>

Just imagine being able to hold them in your hands properly (without the plastic in the way), they might have been in the hands of important generals, key senetors, future emperors etc.

Lets face it there was plenty of future emperors around in 235... most of them emperor in 238.
  • Options

<< <i>Just imagine the history those coins have been through!!!
    Shep >>

Because of their pristine condition, I'm thinking they went straight from the anvil into a jar and then buried. It was common practice to bury coins, especially in war zones. Perhaps dug up in the early 1900s then saved by a collector who knew what he had. I don't think these particular pieces were held in many hands.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    Here are two more on Yahoo auctions.

Here are some on the Bay.

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Both quite nice!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Is that Mars on the reverse of the Severus Alexander?

That's another god i require for my gods collection.
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coins.image
  • Options

<< <i>Is that Mars on the reverse of the Severus Alexander?

That's another god i require for my gods collection. >>

Yes it is Mars, from the listing:
    Rev. PM TR P VIII COS III PP, Mars, walking right, holding a spear and a trophy. Provenance: CNG.

The other reverse is:
    Decius on horseback

Cool idea doing a gods set.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    ANACS used to grade ancients, but has since stopped. Jonathan Kern used to offer a number of them back in the day in his ads in the US coin mags. Now he's mostly ICG marketing to the same collector base.

Those are two very choice coins. The Severus Alexander was probably part of a hoard of very high grade Sev. Alex. denarii that CNG got a hold of some years ago. An incredible strike on the reverse of that one. They were getting $200.00+ for those when they first started dispersing them. The Decius is also quite nice. Some excellent purchases.

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is that Mars on the reverse of the Severus Alexander?

That's another god i require for my gods collection. >>

Yes it is Mars, from the listing:
    Rev. PM TR P VIII COS III PP, Mars, walking right, holding a spear and a trophy. Provenance: CNG.

The other reverse is:
    Decius on horseback

Cool idea doing a gods set. >>

I am slowly working on it, currently i have only Jupiter and Minerva so far.

Mercury and Neptune seem not to turn up much from initial observations. I can't imagine Vulcanus being
    being ubiquitous either.